• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cary Grant sunglasses in north by northwest

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toivonen
hi,and thanks for your post,but they aren't
smile.gif

they are almost the same of the persol ratti 850,exept for the "olive" that in the 850 are vertical....
i've tryed to ask directly to persol but they don't know(they say to me look the new 2961s
teacha.gif
)

ahahah after i send them an email asking them about this and about the thomas crown limited edition 714 sold and customized by eyegoodies.com they've launched the new official 714 SM limited edition
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

even if they're wrong with them,because the original were havana and not light havana and the lens were dark - no mirror blue and not the .56 code light mirror blue lens they've fitted the new model with
laugh.gif

Is the limited edition McQueen model purely a colour combination or are the frames somehow different or better than the regular 714? I believe I've read (here) that the current 714 folds differently to the old models.

Toivonen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
Is the limited edition McQueen model purely a colour combination or are the frames somehow different or better than the regular 714? I believe I've read (here) that the current 714 folds differently to the old models.
the difference with the current 714 is with a "steve mc queen" writing in the frame and in a second "arrow" in the second sticks point of folding... but they simply adapted the .56 code lens that they already put in the 649 range,and they're not the same of the mcqueen,because that lens are with a mirror effect instead of the original custom made of the mcqueen that haven't it.... and also the frame....they probably launch the model with the blue lens in light havana frame because they've probably seen the ones that was recently sold in an auction...that is a steve mcqueen pair,but not the ones of the movie because the original were dark havana
wink.gif

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But back to your original request. I don't think you'll ever find the exact frames worn by Cary Grant. I don't think they're Persol.
It's best not to get too obsessed about a particular model that is hard or impossible to find. I know from experience that this often ends in disappointment. The same look can be achieved with other sunglasses. You may want to look at the brand Epos Milano.

Toivonen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
I just saw this which shows the packaging:

http://moderndistinctiononline.com/p...rsols-they-are

This photo first piqued my interest in them:

persol-steve-mcqueen-714-sunglasses-selectism.jpg

I'm not sure I'd want Steve McQueen written on them though.

if you go to persol.com you see the new model...and you can also see how are different from the tca ones
smile.gif
...you see also the writings
smile.gif
so buy a regular 714 in havana,and go to your optician to order a custom blue lens
smile.gif
(i see from live the .56 persol lens,don't look at the press images they're absolutely other from the Mcqueen ones...)
i write this only because it made me laught since i previously talk with the persol chief about the ones sold by eyegoodies,and then they've launched this l.e.
smile.gif

back to the topic....i've already told that are persol for sure
smile.gif

the 850 look quite the same
smile.gif

Toivonen

Reaction score

Noah.Dreams

Reaction score
How about a Moscot Miltzen?

med_1-0000109-1388.jpg

Noah.Dreams

Reaction score
Or maybe the Arnel?

dark_tortoise.png

JodyJamesC

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread but I didn't see the correct sunglasses mentioned here at all so I thought I would chime in.

The exact model sunglasses Cary wore in North by Northwest are the late 50's model of Ray-Ban Dallas sunglasses. He had them in a Medium Tortoise frame with Green Lenses

If you do a google search for vintage Rayban Dallas, then you can absolutely find some available from the late 50's. Of course the optics and UV protection prolly won't be as good and modern versions ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads