• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cartier vs Omega

Dudufrias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Any Omega? It's a no-brainer. Omega makes a rattrapante, a tourbillion, coaxial movements......I'm not aware that Cartier makes anything but nice jewelry with standard eta movements (I could be wrong about that, but I'm not aware).

No you're absolutely right. When it comes to horlogerie, Omega is far better than Cartier. They also use ETA movements, but I believe they are built following rigorous instructionds given by Omega.

However, I like Eterna watches best. I own a vintage Eterna-matic 1000, and I'm slowly refurbishing it. I was able to order the original buckle in Switzerland (for free) and I'm having a custom made lizard strap cut in the same way the original strap was. I'm only heving a little trouble finding a genuine Eterna crystal, but then I don't know if all Eterna crystals were signed or not...

I'm also saving for an Orient Diver, and a Timex Ironman Dual Tech for the gym.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cartier Tortue collection put aside, Omega are far better watches for the money

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Any Omega? It's a no-brainer. Omega makes a rattrapante, a tourbillion, coaxial movements......I'm not aware that Cartier makes anything but nice jewelry with standard eta movements (I could be wrong about that, but I'm not aware)

I'm with you Ron. I guess the answers would be very different on a watch collector forum. Omega makes far better watch and is a true manufacture that continues to offer great value throughout its range. Cartier has some nice designs. Some of their high end watches (like the collection privee and tortue) have better and more complicated movements than simple ETA and Valjoux but none of them is manufactured or even modified by Cartier AFAIK

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me it comes down entirely to what purpose the watch will fulfil. For dress purposes, I'd want an elegant watch that was not too large (case diameter of not more than 35 mm. would be right for me). On this watch, I wouldn't want a lot of (or any, really) complications, or a graduated bezel, chronometer functions, etc., just a plain, elegant watch that, at most, would include the date (I'd prefer that). In this role, the Cartier would, in my opinion, be far superior, as it's hard to think of any Omega model that would be or the right size and sufficiently free of the gee-gaws to look right in, say, a formal or semi-formal setting. For everyday timekeeping, however, I'd take the Omega because of its horological superiority. For myself, I have a Must de Cartier in vermeil (20 micron gold-plating over sterling silver) from the 1980s that works well for dress situations. Most of the time, however, I wear two vintage Omegas from the 1970s that I've kind of restored and spruced up, one in shiny stainless, the other gold-plated.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
You left out Rolex.
Troublemaker.
boxing[1].gif
lurker[1].gif

SantaCruzGuy

Reaction score
Okay I'll chip in. For me I'd take Omega hands down, in stainless steel, w/a chronometer movement. That leaves the field wide open to many different watches they make.
Both brands have an illustrious history. A company that's pushing the envelope would be far more appealing to my personality in the end however, & that is most certainly Omega.
I like & respect Omega a great deal.

Dormouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
You left out Rolex.
stirpot.gif

LA Confidential was on TV last night. I believe Guy Pearce was wearing a vintage Rolex Oyster... Beautiful watch.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Regardless of Price" is not really a usefull comparision. Unless we are talking about Rolex
stirpot.gif

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
"Regardless of Price" is not really a usefull comparision. Unless we are talking about Rolex
stirpot.gif

You're back to the original question. If money is no object, do you want jewelry or horology? I would want a tourbillion or a perpetual calendar. These movements are worth $50-100k. The only thing that makes a rolex that valuable is a bunch of platinum and diamonds. NB...I love rolexes, just prefer some different movements if "money is no object".

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trajan
+1

I don't like Omega's, while Cartier Tank is the ultimate classy watch.

--trajan

Maybe even the penultimate classy watch...
rimshot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads