1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cartier vs Omega

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nelly, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Dudufrias

Dudufrias Well-Known Member

Any Omega? It's a no-brainer. Omega makes a rattrapante, a tourbillion, coaxial movements......I'm not aware that Cartier makes anything but nice jewelry with standard eta movements (I could be wrong about that, but I'm not aware).

No you're absolutely right. When it comes to horlogerie, Omega is far better than Cartier. They also use ETA movements, but I believe they are built following rigorous instructionds given by Omega.

However, I like Eterna watches best. I own a vintage Eterna-matic 1000, and I'm slowly refurbishing it. I was able to order the original buckle in Switzerland (for free) and I'm having a custom made lizard strap cut in the same way the original strap was. I'm only heving a little trouble finding a genuine Eterna crystal, but then I don't know if all Eterna crystals were signed or not...

I'm also saving for an Orient Diver, and a Timex Ironman Dual Tech for the gym.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Cartier Tortue collection put aside, Omega are far better watches for the money

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I'd get an old Cartier when they had complicated things made by Audemars Piguet.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Any Omega? It's a no-brainer. Omega makes a rattrapante, a tourbillion, coaxial movements......I'm not aware that Cartier makes anything but nice jewelry with standard eta movements (I could be wrong about that, but I'm not aware)

I'm with you Ron. I guess the answers would be very different on a watch collector forum. Omega makes far better watch and is a true manufacture that continues to offer great value throughout its range. Cartier has some nice designs. Some of their high end watches (like the collection privee and tortue) have better and more complicated movements than simple ETA and Valjoux but none of them is manufactured or even modified by Cartier AFAIK

5. benecios

benecios Distinguished Member

Cartier Tortue collection put aside, Omega are far better watches for the money

+1.

6. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

To me it comes down entirely to what purpose the watch will fulfil. For dress purposes, I'd want an elegant watch that was not too large (case diameter of not more than 35 mm. would be right for me). On this watch, I wouldn't want a lot of (or any, really) complications, or a graduated bezel, chronometer functions, etc., just a plain, elegant watch that, at most, would include the date (I'd prefer that). In this role, the Cartier would, in my opinion, be far superior, as it's hard to think of any Omega model that would be or the right size and sufficiently free of the gee-gaws to look right in, say, a formal or semi-formal setting. For everyday timekeeping, however, I'd take the Omega because of its horological superiority. For myself, I have a Must de Cartier in vermeil (20 micron gold-plating over sterling silver) from the 1980s that works well for dress situations. Most of the time, however, I wear two vintage Omegas from the 1970s that I've kind of restored and spruced up, one in shiny stainless, the other gold-plated.

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Troublemaker. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. SantaCruzGuy

SantaCruzGuy Well-Known Member

Okay I'll chip in. For me I'd take Omega hands down, in stainless steel, w/a chronometer movement. That leaves the field wide open to many different watches they make.
    Both brands have an illustrious history. A company that's pushing the envelope would be far more appealing to my personality in the end however, & that is most certainly Omega.
    I like & respect Omega a great deal.

9. Dormouse

Dormouse Senior Member

You left out Rolex. [​IMG]

LA Confidential was on TV last night. I believe Guy Pearce was wearing a vintage Rolex Oyster... Beautiful watch.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

LA Confidential was on TV last night. I believe Guy Pearce was wearing a vintage Rolex Oyster... Beautiful watch.
    Yes, I noticed that. I think it had a leather band.

11. Dmax

Dmax Distinguished Member

"Regardless of Price" is not really a usefull comparision. Unless we are talking about Rolex [​IMG]

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Distinguished Member

"Regardless of Price" is not really a usefull comparision. Unless we are talking about Rolex [​IMG]

You're back to the original question. If money is no object, do you want jewelry or horology? I would want a tourbillion or a perpetual calendar. These movements are worth $50-100k. The only thing that makes a rolex that valuable is a bunch of platinum and diamonds. NB...I love rolexes, just prefer some different movements if "money is no object".

13. trajan

trajan Senior Member

Tank-Louis Cartier, hands down.

+1

I don't like Omega's, while Cartier Tank is the ultimate classy watch.

--trajan

14. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

+1

I don't like Omega's, while Cartier Tank is the ultimate classy watch.

--trajan

Maybe even the penultimate classy watch...[​IMG]

15. sygyzy

sygyzy Distinguished Member

Love this poll. What's next? U-Boat or Panerai?