• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who the **** is Foo to scoff at such a metric? Not matter how much someone prattles on about "objective" this and "peak" that what motivates consumption choices is all individual preference. The only conclusion I can come to is that Foo believes his individual preferences to be superior to us common mortals...and I think we all know it's hardly like this applies only to cars.

I’m me. I can scoff at whatever the **** I want. So can you (and you do). The difference is substance and how one engages with it.

For the example, I was very clear about what I meant by “peak”, which mostly centered on the shrinking availability of naturally aspirated engines and manual transmissions. You obviously don’t care about such things. Yet rather than ignore the discussion or ask good faith questions about why other people care, you fixated on my use of that particular word and attached all sorts of psycho-social connotations to it.

In turn, it is true I have become highly dismissive of your opinions about cars. I probed in earnest in the past, and found nothing of substance to engage with. Nothing you’ve said since has made me think differently. But worst of all, nothing you’ve said has been worth thinking about.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You raised some good points, but are missing mine. - you need the right guy. he might drive the biggest POS on the road. but, it would be running like a champ. with good tires, and everything working.
or, he might drive something special. that reflects his talents to the world.
A Car does indeed tell you a lot about a tech. trust me. it does.
And the guy who you can see does things right? on his own cars? says something about the person.
Will they put the same care into your car? if you build a good relationship with them they will.let them know you care about your car.and you respect their work. that you brought your car to them. by choice.

yeah, the cobbler's shoes proverb happens. all too often. my friend's car looks like a nightmare right now. he started a widebody in metal. didn't get to finish it, and rust has said hello.

what i'm trying to say is, find a guy who cares about doing things right. wherever they work. Because far too many "Techs" simply don't care enough.

+1

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I always enjoy when a common rhetorical phrase is applied in the concrete.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As for your other insinuation--exactly what about the "life" i discuss on SF is different from the "life" you imagine I actually live? Are you implying I'm making something up?
Well, I know that I for one tend to come across as more dickish on the internet than I do IRL. Or so I've been told.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, I know that I for one tend to come across as more dickish on the internet than I do IRL. Or so I've been told.

I take it back; you're tops in my books these days. ;)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I’d frame the dynamics differently.

You were a contributor. The vast majority of SF posters and readers are not. At most, they comment from the sidelines on information or content that others share. They have no skin in the game.

As such, when they make comments that contribute nothing constructive to conversation or, even worse, disincentivize others from doing so, they should be ignored.

Unfortunately, that would now mean ignoring most of the forum. Alternatively, you engage—but because of the fundamental asymmetry, it is always a losing, unsatisfying exchange of bad feelings.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought most people come here to troll each other because they're bored at work on topics that interest them. Sort of like hanging out at a bar after work with friends shooting the ****.

Shooting the **** is one thing, but people don’t troll each other in real life like they do online, for fear of social and professional consequences.

Online trolling is a bad. It’s content and conversation that can make it worth tolerating.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't being sarcastic on the oil though. I just hit the 5k mark and I'm looking to have it changed...I don't care what they say about oil longevity, feeding it through the same filter for 10k miles seems questionable.

I was doing the oil change at the dealers whenever the computer told me to.

Good thing that with our Volt I only have to do it once a year and never with our Tesla ))

brokencycle

Reaction score
I’d frame the dynamics differently.

You were a contributor. The vast majority of SF posters and readers are not. At most, they comment from the sidelines on information or content that others share. They have no skin in the game.

As such, when they make comments that contribute nothing constructive to conversation or, even worse, disincentivize others from doing so, they should be ignored.

Unfortunately, that would now mean ignoring most of the forum. Alternatively, you engage—but because of the fundamental asymmetry, it is always a losing, unsatisfying exchange of bad feelings.

Except that's not the case. You just try to gatekeep what is "content." You may not like full sized SUVs, but that doesn't mean discussing them isn't valid in the "Cars we drive " thread. This isn't "Cars foo likes" thread.

Some people drive more than 1000 miles per year, so they value things like comfort, tech features, safety features, etc, and that's a valid discussion.

The trolling and **** posting comes when you waltz into a thread, lay down some subjective opinion and declare it is objective fact.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Prof Fab is making America great again with a new Ct6 Sport. Husbands Xt4 is sitting next to her.

View attachment 1262839
Coming back to this post....as coincidence would have it, my neighbor just bought a CT6 exactly like yours, so i had a chance to peruse...

It’s not the type of car i would buy, but it has this sort of commanding road presence that to me evokes something like a ‘64 Lincoln Continental. I liked it.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Prof Fab is making America great again with a new Ct6 Sport. Husbands Xt4 is sitting next to her.

View attachment 1262839

I like the look of the CT6 in general, and it has some cool tech features (my understanding is that Cadillac has better autonomous driving than Tesla because it has fully mapped large sections of interstate). It has mostly favorable reviews too.

It seems like they're trying to kill it though in favor of SUVs.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think you are characterizing the discussion over oil changes accurately, you either haven't actually been paying attention or you're a moron. The interesting point was never that "changing your oil more frequently is generally not worse". It was that insiders and engineers at the manufacturer guide to different practices than provided in the owner's manual. That information was shared with me personally, and I was very grateful and happy to have it. So I shared it here. **** Foo, right?

Wrong about the hood lines. The early 70's 911s, which everyone touts as the best-looking, had hoods extending all the way to the bumper (hence they are "long-hood" cars). After 1973, the bumpers changed to meet new safety regulations and the hoods were shortened to end inline with the front fenders (the horizontal cut right underneath the headlights).

The 992 hood line (by Porsche's own admission) was not meant to mimic those earlier cars, but rather the 993. Hence it's not so much an "extended hood cut line" but a botched effort at matching the uninterrupted front line of the 993. Porsche explained they had to compromise for pedestrian safety reasons. Apparently, when the hood line ends exactly in-line with the front fenders, it is more dangerous for pedestrians, since the end of the hood would be more horizontally oriented and more likely to cut into flesh.

Foo, I think you should chill out and not take everything so seriously. To be honest, I thought his description of you was on some level an amusing caricature of you (even if you don't see it). Many people with sports cars obsess about using the whatever are considered the best products and best service techs. I research all sorts of things and change various perishable items well before necessary. I've replaced tires that looked like new with 2,000 miles not because I track the car or did burn outs, but they were 6 years old (tire change over time, harden, and aren't safe). The tech asked if he could keep them for a project car, I said sure! I've changed the oil in the 328 even though during a year with a lot of rain I only drove the car 250 miles. My friends think I'm a bit OCD, and that's ok. You just have to own it.

As for the 992 hood lines, I actually thought, and maybe I misunderstood - that @UnFacconable was referring to the vertical lines that run down the hood. They were functional from the early 911s until the 993, as they had a vent at the top for fresh air. Now they are just maybe accent lines. Although, a friend of mine with a 991 Turbo S who loves his car was lamenting how flat and boring the hood of his Turbo S is relative to old air cooled 911s and the new 992. As for the looks of the long hood cars vs. the 74's and later, I actually prefer the later cars where the turn signals got incorporated into the bumper and the horn grills were eliminated (but maybe growing up around those, it's what I'm used to).

In the end, I'm undecided about the 992's looks. I find the 3 brake light really bizarre. I don't understand why it isn't just in the back window of coupes where it would be less prominent. Also to me the 992s look a little too blunted at the front and back compared to prior 911s. I've already seen them and I don't love them, but maybe in time I will get used to them.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Original Alpine A110. One of the coolest cars I saw at Caffeine and Carburetors in New Canaan on Sunday--amongst a dizzying variety of other amazing things. These must be extremely rare in the States, as they were never sold here. Never seen one in person myself.

Gorgeous color.

View attachment 1264960

View attachment 1264961

View attachment 1264962

Yes, rather rare in the States. I've only seen a handful of these in person, in white, red, or that blue color you posted. Cool cars. Actually, I think the last one I saw was at Caffeine and Carburetors, about 2 years ago but it was white.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

here are a few photos from the first Audrain Concours event at the Breakers (mansion) in Newport, RI.
8B1E10D0-2DBA-49B3-A553-E7AE9619B4FD.jpeg

DAC76A33-50AA-475E-A64C-767B82083276.jpeg

Prototype of Lambo’s first road car, the 350GT.
E9A2899A-D882-492D-9728-DE42CD6E21C9.jpeg
A6D70002-8597-49B9-B371-F17A4C34D86D.jpeg

the Zagato Astons that one buys as a pair.
929FFF78-83AF-4AF9-BFB4-247FEA967B50.jpeg

A late DB4 Vantage, looks a lot like a DB5.
C716BE38-10BD-4E67-B42F-6666D081DAA7.jpeg

A very early P400 Miura I believe the 60th one produced.
5F524736-9441-4887-B4E4-0814C895E5BB.jpeg

A Ferrari 275GTS.
ED69F549-3F21-4715-910F-4A922C981881.jpeg
A0097B92-37A2-46A7-9708-EBC7E5D82F84.jpeg

ED2A8CF7-ADFA-4ECD-A8AE-7E4305128A70.jpeg

Jay who was the MC for most of the events, which ran Thursday through Sunday.
983506BE-A882-451E-B1E2-AA7CF319106E.jpeg

Wayne Carini from the show Chasing Classics.
F8377F8D-DEFD-41EB-8705-C0BDE8D3E7CE.jpeg

Miura P400 on the road leaving the show.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads