• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something about being $9k under the market valuation screams "salvage title" or something beneath the surface that you won't want to deal with...

I liked the short-lived 981 Boxster quite a bit, still retains the 6 and has most of the latest styling cues that still feel fresh. I just don't see how too many people are out there willing to shell out $90k for a 4 banger Porsche, or even $60k tbh.
I love our 981 Cayman S with a six speed manual. On winding road its just so much fun to drive and listen to.

Being fair to the 718 MSRP of the "S" is in the $60s...but with some good options its really easy to be in the 80-90 range and on a 4 that starts to sound insane. I agree even in the 60s...a 4Banger might be a tough sale.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ugh, those prices are depressing. i have a 2011 M3, 54k miles, DCT. went out with some friends last friday and one of them made me an offer of $31k from the back seat. slightly drunk, but honest offer.

i laughingly told him to GFY, but now i realize that it was actually a pretty fair offer :cry: i'm sure he would have wanted me to include the KW suspension, LM's and all the CF bits, though.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Something about being $9k under the market valuation screams "salvage title" or something beneath the surface that you won't want to deal with...

I liked the short-lived 981 Boxster quite a bit, still retains the 6 and has most of the latest styling cues that still feel fresh. I just don't see how too many people are out there willing to shell out $90k for a 4 banger Porsche, or even $60k tbh.

Yeah, it's way below market and it's been listed for 70 days. If all was truly well, that woulda sold like hot cakes. It must have been in a serious accident or has a salvage title. I'm guessing it was in a front-end collision based on the condensation in the driver's side headlights in image 8.

also just realized it has the sunroof -- no thanks.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing collector ish about an M3, it's going to depreciate like any other car. I think the F8x's turboed engine never felt turboed. There was a charm to the whole 8,400 rpm redline, but the E92 is of the past and likely stays in the direction of the E46, unlike the E30.

I'd say the F8x will also follow the former two resale wise. Fantastic car, but not a collector's car.

In the current semi affordable range, I think the GT4 is the only car that has the potential to maintain it's value.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well there is something redeeming about the new 5 series: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/13/wireless-carplay-2017-bmw-5-series/

Yeah, it's way below market and it's been listed for 70 days. If all was truly well, that woulda sold like hot cakes. It must have been in a serious accident or has a salvage title. I'm guessing it was in a front-end collision based on the condensation in the driver's side headlights in image 8.

also just realized it has the sunroof -- no thanks.

If the dealer was shady and fixed it themselves, it might not even show up on the title. Good catch on the headlight. A shoddy job on the insulation there likely means you can see other issues (paint, etc.) in person.

I think most E9x Ms had a moonroof, not sure. Mine did. The CF tipping point was the F8x. The E9x with a CF roof likely commands a bit of a premium now despite being a zero cost option when new.

...and yummy memories:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Also GF, I'd wait for the F82 to come down in price over a couple of years. The E92 is fantastic, but the F82 blows it out of the water in every way. I'll send you my F e-net cable on the house so you can recode it with e-sys. You can take speed limiter off, change traction control, etc. the F82 is more neutral handling wise and as I've quoted Chris Harris before, I'd get the car because of the engine, not in spite of it. It's a wonderful daily driver and a wonderful and very noticeably better track car than the E92.

Another edit:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Though this changes opinions in favor of the E92 (not an official BMW commercial) :embar:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well there is something redeeming about the new 5 series: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/13/wireless-carplay-2017-bmw-5-series/
If the dealer was shady and fixed it themselves, it might not even show up on the title. Good catch on the headlight. A shoddy job on the insulation there likely means you can see other issues (paint, etc.) in person.

I think most E9x Ms had a moonroof, not sure. Mine did. The CF tipping point was the F8x. The E9x with a CF roof likely commands a bit of a premium now despite being a zero cost option when new.

...and yummy memories:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Also GF, I'd wait for the F82 to come down in price over a couple of years. The E92 is fantastic, but the F82 blows it out of the water in every way. I'll send you my F e-net cable on the house so you can recode it with e-sys. You can take speed limiter off, change traction control, etc. the F82 is more neutral handling wise and as I've quoted Chris Harris before, I'd get the car because of the engine, not in spite of it. It's a wonderful daily driver and a wonderful and very noticeably better track car than the E92.

Another edit:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Though this changes opinions in favor of the E92 (not an official BMW commercial) :embar:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Re: the sunroof, I think it's the opposite. The cf roof was default and you had to option the sun roof at extra cost to get it.

Cost aside, most people didn't want it to begin with so the vast majority of e9x m3s I see have the cf roof. I wouldn't have it any other way since I never use the sunroof on my cars.

I want dat s65 engine. It's only right after having owned dat s85
1f913.png

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The CF was default in the configurator online. However, it didn't end up that way in the real world.

But the S65, so so fun to wind out.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The CF was default in the configurator online. However, it didn't end up that way in the real world.

But the S65, so so fun to wind out.

Do you have numbers to back that up? I don't. I'm just going off of anecdotal experience perusing forums (which will tilt in favor of cf roofs) and the various used car selling websites.

I always see way more cf roofs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sunroof is a deal breaker for me as I love driving with mine open.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have numbers to back that up? I don't. I'm just going off of anecdotal experience perusing forums (which will tilt in favor of cf roofs) and the various used car selling websites.

I always see way more cf roofs.

Nah, just what I've seen in Atlanta and California, but I would be curious to see the numbers.

Also, piob, you are a mans man, can't you just punch the roof out when needed?

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

The spring and fall are great times for a sunroof.  Hell I even like colder days with the sunroof open and seat heaters on.

Exactly. Sunny and 40 = sunroof.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The spring and fall are great times for a sunroof.  Hell I even like colder days with the sunroof open and seat heaters on.

That's an awesome combo. Throw on some tunes and enjoy the drive.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads