• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought 2Jz making 1000hp is a frequent but not an easy “bolt on” nothing else to do thing.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is E92 M3 getting crazy price too?

Those have kinda settled in price from mid 20s to mid 30s.. The recurring and unpredictable road bearing issue scares people but not as much as with the V10 powered M5/M6.
The carbon fiber roof option, while once considered super exotic, has become quite pedestrian nowadays. I will note that unlike the current M4, the E90/E92 roof rack mounting points are functional. There is DIY that makes it functional though

From what I have seen a 6 speed competition package LCI E90 M3s seem to command top dollars right now as the coupes are far more common.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
It's not about Subies and Civics and whether Ferraris no longer do anything for you. Yes, I understand there is a market for people who will pay anything because they are maybe die hard Honda guys. I can see people paying big money for a low mileage NSX, Supra Turbo from the 90s, the old 1990s Turbo RX7 Thrift posted, and maybe someday in the future a S2000. I'm just struggling to see it with the Civic SI.

Here is the other difference though, between say an old air cooled 911 with say 5,000 miles and a Civic Si with 5,000 miles. The 911 buyer is paying a premium because he wants it as close to how it left the factory as possible. He doesn't want it modded with superchargers, turbos, body kits, aftermarket seats, aftermarket stereos,and wild paint jobs. The person is buying the car to experience the car as close to new as possible. In addition, one doesn't have to worry about paint condition or interior pieces being worn out, and requiring replacement. Yes, someone can buy a modded car and restore many things to OEM. However, as one collector was telling me, its only original once, once its been modded, repainted etc, even if you get to the best body shops and mechanics, its never original...and to that collector (which I realize isn't everyone), the car is of no interest.

The Civic SI as you mentioned is a blank canvas for an artist. Well if someone is going to mod the hell out of it, why not just wait, search and find one with 40,000 to 50,000 miles and pay a fraction of the cost. Because paint condition, cosmetics, etc don't matter, if you are going to mod it.

Also, if the buyer can afford to drop $50K on a Civic, and then do a bunch of mods...I don't think it is really about financial constraints. Young guys in my area buy Civics, Subies, and a host of other cars and they mod the hell out of them and they don't start with anything close to $50K.

Yea, but the difference is the boring base Subie can do almost 250,000 miles without having massive problems and being sidelined while waiting for a rebuild.

Your old yellow STi Beast, as cool and powerful as it was seemed like it was rarely running properly.

I get what you are saying. My take on it is: personally, wife and I buy lowest mileage, off the internet. Surprise! Both our cars are silver. :lol:
Our way of buying the lowest mileage car has us in 2 really nice examples of Y2,000 era cars. The forester turbo Sti, and the twin turbo legacy executive sedan. The difference between interior is easy to see. The forester is sporting and durable, the legacy interior is super nice, with audio that was 3k back then. And the driving experience is very different in both.
Then I look at a base impreza? It's like looking at a Daewoo.

We do not beat on our daily drivers. They get cared for. (momwagen needs paint correction) after all, I am responsible for them. My car currently has around 25,000 kilometres on it. Hers 45,000
We buy these cars for quality, utility, and value.

It is with the same eyes that we want to level up. She is hoping for a low kilometres XV in the grey colour, and i am hoping for a half life 2012 RX8 spirit R. Both at the squeeze of price vs mileage/condition.

It's a different perspective to guys raising prices on hero cars.

The yellow monster is a hero car. But I took it off the road because it was tired. It needed a clutch. Then the rabbit hole fears set in. "while you're there....." so I parked it for later. When I have the time.

That was my early 20's dream car. Had it. Done. Now to a fresh dream.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
BTW, I paid $800 for that car. As the starting point. Not $80,000
It had 170,000 hard driven kilometres on it. And started every time, first time. When the man who bought it disturbed its slumber? It pulled itself out of the earth in a cloud of clutch smoke. Like a rocky sequel.
Will always miss it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The point I was making with the blank canvas wasn’t actually centered completely around modification. I meant it being whatever they want it to be, a daily driver, a showcase piece, or yes fully built racecar, whatever they want to do. This is the very reason why I’m buying an STI new, because I don’t want to buy anyone else’s mistakes or inherited issues (hence a blank canvas). An exhaust or wheels hardly accounts for modding these days, as plenty of members here are guilty of that and more. I chose to keep my canvas pretty blank, instead choosing to just polishing it clean, so to speak. I mentioned previously, I’m not a modder, so I wouldn’t even know where to begin to craft an argument towards it. Heck anytime I bring my car in for service and the Service Advisor admires the paint condition at such a high mileage, I feel like an artist. That’s more in line what I meant, but should’ve expressed it clearer.

As far as the current popularity towards Supras, RX7’s, and NSX’s, pop culture has just as much to do with that as it does with Bourbon’s like Pappy Van Winkle 23. There was a time not long ago when that could be found and the shelf for less then $70. Now it goes for an average of $3,000 on the secondary market. The same goes for the aforementioned cars, and I’d wager Fast and Furious has more then something to do with that. How much longer will it last is what I’m wondering. Also those 3 models are also heavily sought after for tuning. There’s a Supra engine that can achieve over 1000 HP with moderate modifications.

Also from Rob Ferretti:

Anyway, as a Civic Si owner I do appreciate the apology. I feel you on the FF and 599, those aren’t among my favorites. I still remember putting a 599 on display by the highway showcase, and a highly modified muscle car pulled up to the light and I proceeded to rev the **** out of her. He didn’t even look. Different strokes I guess.

Nobody paying big sums for any of these cars (Civic Si, Supra, NSX, etc.) is going to mod them. These cars are two things: (1) nostalgic time capsules and (2) pinnacle analog cars from just before the onset of full-on digitization / electrification / automation. In other words, what people value most is their originality. This is why clean, low-mile, unmodded examples are worth the most—not because they are a “blank canvas” but because they retain their purity as is.

And this mentality has nothing to do with wealth. Whether you’re worth thousands, millions, billions, etc., people care about value and waste. In fact, this is often increasingly true the richer someone is—it’s usually part and parcel to how you get rich. It would be a poor value and a terrible waste to spend $50K on a rare, collectible Civic in unusually fresh condition, only to then pile on modifications.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I saw a mint E46 M3 convertible last summer for $15,000 with under 60,000 miles on a guys front lawn. I checked it out and didn’t buy it. I’m regretting that now.

The convertibles always have ****** resale though.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a mint E46 M3 convertible last summer for $15,000 with under 60,000 miles on a guys front lawn. I checked it out and didn’t buy it. I’m regretting that now.
Convertibles are much less valued/coveted. I somewhat get why - can’t take on the track, they’re heavier and have more chassis flex (like all convertibles) - but the difference in value is startling and probably unjustified, especially if you’re buying one exclusively for the street.

SMG also takes a huge hit in value vs a 6-speed...but that i totally understand and agree why :fence:

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Convertibles are much less valued/coveted. I somewhat get why - can’t take on the track, they’re heavier and have more chassis flex (like all convertibles) - but the difference in value is startling and probably unjustified, especially if you’re buying one exclusively for the street.

SMG also takes a huge hit in value vs a 6-speed...but that i totally understand and agree why :fence:
It would’ve been a weekend car and a fun convertible for the summer.

I’m not going to put a lot of miles on my car for the foreseeable future as my office announced we will be working remotely until at least January.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Supra 2JZ will decimate all once you spend about $15 grand and overnight parts from Japan if you have to.

Just be sure Jesse does your install, otherwise you’re not doing it any justice.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It would’ve been a weekend car and a fun convertible for the summer.

I’m not going to put a lot of miles on my car for the foreseeable future as my office announced we will be working remotely until at least January.
Might want to see if it’s still there or shop around for something like it. Convertibles haven’t gone up much. I wouldn’t in good conscience recommend an SMG, but if you’re ok with a “boring” color like silver or black, I’d say you can pretty readily get a good example of an M3 convertible with <60k miles for $15-20k

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody paying big sums for any of these cars (Civic Si, Supra, NSX, etc.) is going to mod them. These cars are two things: (1) nostalgic time capsules and (2) pinnacle analog cars from just before the onset of full-on digitization / electrification / automation. In other words, what people value most is their originality. This is why clean, low-mile, unmodded examples are worth the most—not because they are a “blank canvas” but because they retain their purity as is.

And this mentality has nothing to do with wealth. Whether you’re worth thousands, millions, billions, etc., people care about value and waste. In fact, this is often increasingly true the richer someone is—it’s usually part and parcel to how you get rich. It would be a poor value and a terrible waste to spend $50K on a rare, collectible Civic in unusually fresh condition, only to then pile on modifications.

So how would you explain this? Unless he’s owned it since new, which is possible, why would you do that on a truck fetching such high values, upwards of a base Ferrari kind of money. If this were true you wouldn’t have companies like Singer or ICON.

B93AE627-65B5-46C8-A9BF-742B3250D424.jpeg

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So how would you explain this? Unless he’s owned it since new, which is possible, why would you do that on a truck fetching such high values, upwards of a base Ferrari kind of money. If this were true you wouldn’t have companies like Singer or ICON.

View attachment 1401264

Broncos and 964s did not have nearly as much resale value UNTIL restomodders like Singer and Icon appeared. For most of the last 20 years, the only 911s (other than rare varieties) which sold for outsized sums were the original generation cars, particularly the ‘70-73 cars.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads