• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you go from and LR3 to the GL? That's what I did.

Agree, nothing I have ever driven remotely compares to the LR3 in terms of just driving over ****, traction, etc. Simply the most incredible AWD system in the world.

Yes, I couldn't take my local dealership nickle and dimming me everytime I went and just being flat wrong about things. I swaped out the LR3 for a GL450 almost two years ago.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why when so much else on the car is electronic, hydraulic or digital?

Its like having a GF whose had a tit job and won't admit it even though you can see the udnerbreast scars. Its just a cost saving/stupid move for a mfg with a reputation. Surprised you don't see the line that was crossed piping fake sound into a cabin.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3 series GT
peepwall[1].gif

I love how spectacularly BMW has lost its *********** recent past. first, it was the faked engine noise in the M5. then, it was all those cosmetic "special edition" M3's (which AMG promptly trumped by releasing the Black Series and 507 to show BMW how it's done).

now, they take a look at their version of the Pontiac Aztek and say, that was so awesome let's make a smaller one!

This is an example of "When good car companies go bad"

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is an example of "When good car companies go bad"

I think its safe to say it happened here. Although the next gen of this embarrassment was actually ok looking, still, if the new one was is an Aztec, this munchkin is their homage to the timeless AMC Pacer.

Last edited:

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the M-coupe.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Yes, I couldn't take my local dealership nickle and dimming me everytime I went and just being flat wrong about things. I swaped out the LR3 for a GL450 almost two years ago.

I had a great lease experience with Rover. I know the horror stories but my LR3 was totally dependable and the dealership is fantastic. I would get another Rover without a qualm over the service experience.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
BMW has made the fastback shape before, it's not new. The 5GT is ugly, but the 3GT isn't horrible looking. There's really no reason for it to exist, though- has none of the utility of a wagon and doesn't look as traditionally nice as a sedan - just about as awkward as the X6. However, the thing that Americans forget in their America-centric car society is that in cultural centers of the world, it's not that cool to go buy what looks like a corporate-owned fleet car (just about any BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, etc sedan - the larger ones driven by chaffeurs) - and having a wagon, an SUV, a sports car, or one of these alternate shape cars (A5 Sportback, 3GT, etc) promotes the separation between personal choice and company privilege, and that is true status. Big sedans are stodgy, the real sports cars are too showy for most, SUVs guzzle gas and aren't fun to drive in small backstreets, and are less refined - thus it always comes back down to small personal coupes like the M3, 911, or practical family wagons like the 3/5er touring, the E class wagon, etc.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BMW has made the fastback shape before, it's not new. The 5GT is ugly, but the 3GT isn't horrible looking. There's really no reason for it to exist, though- has none of the utility of a wagon and doesn't look as traditionally nice as a sedan - just about as awkward as the X6. However, the thing that Americans forget in their America-centric car society is that in cultural centers of the world, it's not that cool to go buy what looks like a corporate-owned fleet car (just about any BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, etc sedan - the larger ones driven by chaffeurs) - and having a wagon, an SUV, a sports car, or one of these alternate shape cars (A5 Sportback, 3GT, etc) promotes the separation between personal choice and company privilege, and that is true status. Big sedans are stodgy, the real sports cars are too showy for most, SUVs guzzle gas and aren't fun to drive in small backstreets, and are less refined - thus it always comes back down to small personal coupes like the M3, 911, or practical family wagons like the 3/5er touring, the E class wagon, etc.

If BMW is competing with the Audi 5 then its game over. Audi has trailed BMW and Merc for a long time. A guy recently told me that Audi had surpassed them in sales but I didn't believe him. But now I think he may be right.

In any event, Walter White will order one for sure.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3GT : Hunchback of Munich

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ummm, :confused:

It doesn't matter how good an AWD system is if the tires cannot transfer force to the ground. Which wheel will you drive if none have them have grip?

Wet weather driving is entirely different than snow driving. Traction in rain is about getting water out from underneath the tires. Snow reduces traction because tires are cold and hard and have reduced (and sometimes no) grip when they're cold, and snow is a movable surface. That's why snow tires have different rubber formulations along with different surface features (the small sipes that can grip into ice or snow).

This reminds me of Piobaire's insistence a little while back that AWD vehicles handle better than FWD or RWD in adverse weather conditions. Who knew that second differential on an AWD vehicle actually changed tire composition, suspension geometry, and weight distribution when adverse weather conditions were detected?

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well they do, all else being equal. You'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt of making apples-apples comparisons

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads