• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^^^ Ya, European car prices are steep as hell.

When I lived over there I had a leased car thru my company, I was astonished to learn there is a 43% tax on the base price of the car and then on top of that total (base + 43% tax) you pay VAT of 19%. My current car in Europe costs $158,000 which is insane.

Cheap, try 180% car tax and 25% VAT.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Insane!

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like cars too much. I couldnt stand for that.

+1000. This would be hard for me to live with.

You sort of get used to it, the only things that changes is that porsches etc. become more exclusive, as it's only for people with deep pockets, a Cayenne is 350k$<.

The worst thing is that I live about 30k away from Sir F and for what he pays for a 997 Turbo, I can get a Golf GTi.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to be a huge difference that you really have no such thing as an affordable luxury/performance car. Are the restrictions on modifications also extreme/expensive?

~ H

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You sort of get used to it, the only things that changes is that porsches etc. become more exclusive, as it's only for people with deep pockets, a Cayenne is 350k$<.
The worst thing is that I live about 30k away from Sir F and for what he pays for a 997 Turbo, I can get a Golf GTi.

Holy ****, my car in Finland is over $300k.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Holy ****, my car in Finland is over $300k.

Denmark, but close ;)

It seems to be a huge difference that you really have no such thing as an affordable luxury/performance car. Are the restrictions on modifications also extreme/expensive?

Golfs, A4's, 3 series etc. are actually fairly common, a 500 Abarth SS is a 100k (the same as a Golf GTi)

If you follow the law (which most car people don't).

A couple of examples
you can only tune your engine by 20%, anything over has to be MOT'ed and in extreme cases taxed.
If you turbo or supercharge your car you have to MOT'ed and and tax it.
You can only change the wheel diameter with 5% and the whole wheel has to be inside the wheel well, (in germany it's only the thread of the tire)
Everything has to be TUV and DOT approved.
The bottom of your head light has to be 50cm above the ground.
The most marsupialed rule, is that if you f.ex. put RS4 brakes, bodykit, seats etc. in your A4 110tdi, you can be forced to pay tax for it, as it has changed identity.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In London last week, I saw a McLaren MP4-12C parked out on the street with the other regular cars. It was also slightly dirty, which made it all the more endearing. If I had the scratch, it'd be between that, the 458, or a CGT.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I love that about London and Europe in general - cars look cool as hell with a little grime on them. I haven't been to Switzerland but I've gathered that nobody washes their cars there, yet they have all the baller models on the streets. It must be crazy. In Japan it seems like all the cars are sparkling clean all the time, I am not sure if people wash their cars all the time here, or if the roads are genuinely that clean that cars just never get that dirty, it often seems that way. You never see cars with a bit of grime spray on them like you do in London. I like the zen aspect of sitting out in the sun with a six pack and hand polishing a car as some way to blow off some stress, but I do think a car looks cooler with honest dirt and road grime on it....

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Washing your car from October to April is pretty much pointless, as it will look like **** 5 minutes later, so I think a lot of people just don't bother, the only problem is you get dirty as **** when you touch it.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love that about London and Europe in general - cars look cool as hell with a little grime on them. I haven't been to Switzerland but I've gathered that nobody washes their cars there, yet they have all the baller models on the streets. It must be crazy. In Japan it seems like all the cars are sparkling clean all the time, I am not sure if people wash their cars all the time here, or if the roads are genuinely that clean that cars just never get that dirty, it often seems that way. You never see cars with a bit of grime spray on them like you do in London. I like the zen aspect of sitting out in the sun with a six pack and hand polishing a car as some way to blow off some stress, but I do think a car looks cooler with honest dirt and road grime on it....

+1. I enjoy the actual labor part of keeping my car clean.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like a clean car, but there's also something about a car that isn't detailed too perfectly that I appreciate. Idk, I prefer that lived-in, practical look. Cars that look like museum pieces on the streets really don't excite me as much as one that looks daily driven.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads