• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most test drives are done alone now anyway- they give you the key and you go. I definitely think it's worth playing with one for a little while. You can't unlearn how it feels to get that instant torque.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@Thrift Vader

I can only support this statement.

Here’s something for inspiration:

Plenty of info about engine swaps out there on the net, and you surely could find something even more insane and JDM than the zetec to put in it. I believe I even saw rover V8s put in with some mods, so even though it’s a small car, there is room.

Just be careful driving it, I believe the owner of the above linked MGB Zetec isn’t with us anymore after he totaled it.

That was a cool read. I think he went in a direction i wouldn't. Because i like the visual link to the Bond cars. so, it would be very stock. (and silver) with a Toyota Altezza engine and 6mt. Willwoods, and upgrading whatever is worn with better tech. But not changing the car radically.
Like something Jay Leno would do.
Then it would be a fine weather cruising car.

So i can feel like James Bond on a Camry budget.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumb question so don’t pull out the pitchforks but I haven’t done much research on this: why is the 2019 Porsche Speedster a 300+ thousand dollar car? What makes it more expensive than say a GT2 or turbo 911?

also for the P car guys, how difficult is it to get a car PTS? Say a cayenne GTS or turbo. Got a few more years left with the model 3, and looking at Porsche for my next daily driver along with eventually getting a old targa

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The speedster is basically a heat check for the GT division. They thought they could charge that much so they did.

PTS is a matter of getting a PTS allocation from your dealer. The factory has a number of production spots where they’ve decided they have the capacity to take the extra steps to paint a nonstandard color. So all a “pts allocation” means is one of those spots is committed to you.

they’re not that hard to get for non-GT cars. With the GT cars they are spoken for pretty fast. The main limitation is that there are times of the year and production cycle that the factory is not doing PTS. so you may not get it during the time you’re ordering. Or you have to wait until the window opens up.

finally, the option cost is pretty steep - over $12k.

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
When I bought her in March.
20200403_163226.jpg
20200403_163215_HDR.jpg

When I cleaned her the other day for the first time.
20200811_134513.jpg
20200811_141155.jpg
20200811_140730.jpg
20200811_132447.jpg

Attachments

• 20200811_132419_HDR.jpg
    20200811_132419_HDR.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The speedster is basically a heat check for the GT division. They thought they could charge that much so they did.

PTS is a matter of getting a PTS allocation from your dealer. The factory has a number of production spots where they’ve decided they have the capacity to take the extra steps to paint a nonstandard color. So all a “pts allocation” means is one of those spots is committed to you.

they’re not that hard to get for non-GT cars. With the GT cars they are spoken for pretty fast. The main limitation is that there are times of the year and production cycle that the factory is not doing PTS. so you may not get it during the time you’re ordering. Or you have to wait until the window opens up.

finally, the option cost is pretty steep - over $12k.
Thanks HRoi, makes sense. I have no desire for a GT car, but at some point if Porsche gets their e car act together that might be the logical next step from the model 3, or I might just end up in a Cayenne. Good to hear that for those cars I shouldn’t have any issue getting them painted a color I want (Irish Green, in this case)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks HRoi, makes sense. I have no desire for a GT car, but at some point if Porsche gets their e car act together that might be the logical next step from the model 3, or I might just end up in a Cayenne. Good to hear that for those cars I shouldn’t have any issue getting them painted a color I want (Irish Green, in this case)

Irish green is pretty easy. They've definitely done it on 991s and 981 GT4s. If one is trying to get a very old color that hasn't been used in a while, or a true PTS where you send them a sample and ask them to match it, they do some tests on both metal and plastic surfaces, and if it passes certain tests, it will be approved. If it doesn't then the color gets rejected and you have to pick something else.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woke up at 5am Saturday morning to take the 964 on a 5 hour/400 mile solo drive along some incredible twisties and country roads.

I love to take longer solo drives a couple of times a year because it's one of the few times I can be completely present with just my thoughts, and more often than not I tend to end the drive with an overwhelming sense of gratitude and appreciation for life in general (corny, I know).

Other than the car refusing to start when I stopped for gas (apparently a relatively common problem when these cars are hot, and boy was she hot as the outside temps were pushing 100), she performed brilliantly. No more understeer; more playful rear end. And the steering is much more direct thanks to the RS inner tie rods + new OEM tie rods.

So as a token of my appreciation, I bought her the most expensive piece of plastic I've ever seen.

FullSizeRender11.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
An example of the hoops you have to go through for "true" PTS:

Strongly suggest checking out his other posts as his company, Cartridge Racing, makes some incredible titanium and carbon parts for Z8s, Vipers, 911s, etc.

50 shades of whale grey all to find the purest whale gray. Hopefully they started by harpooning one of the better genetic examples of whale in order to analyze its grey.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Yeah man! Sweet car. get that hood painted!
If it's rust free? that is an epic ride.
*jealousy sets in ..

Really, with a little work. that is a super cool car.
Props for wearing a mask too!
Welcome to the "Car guys" silliness. . :cheers:
we got all the help you need.

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
Thanks G shes my first machine. Im just as much a gearhead as i am a fashionista (loved cars since age 3. Started caring about clothes since age 20). I typed in here a couple times when i first joined the site but didnt get any responses. I always lurked in here though.
Yeah man! Sweet car. get that hood painted!
If it's rust free? that is an epic ride.
*jealousy sets in ..

Really, with a little work. that is a super cool car.
Props for wearing a mask too!
Welcome to the "Car guys" silliness. . :cheers:
we got all the help you need.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads