• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the old peak Ferrari is f430? I thought people love 360
IMO the 360 is kind of the middle child. Not unloved per se, like the E36 M3, but in a similar situation. I thought the 355 was groundbreaking and still the most gorgeous of its line of “entry level” Ferraris...and the one on my wall poster. But then if you want a newer one, the F430 is a huge step up in performance from the 360 without that huge a step up in price. I also think of the three, the looks of the 360 have aged the most poorly.

But if i wanted a mid-engine Ferrari, i think I’d save my pennies for longer and go 458. I haven’t driven all the Ferraris, but that is the best one I’ve driven. And it isn’t close.

Reserving judgment on the 488 family and the 430 Scud because i haven’t driven them yet...but I’m guessing i won’t like the 488 as much because i already don’t like the soundtrack and looks as much.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all have our preferences, but for me, it can't get much better than the Touring spec’d GT3. This example with a glorious espresso leather interior.

DSC02349.jpg

DSC02442.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO the 360 is kind of the middle child. Not unloved per se, like the E36 M3, but in a similar situation. I thought the 355 was groundbreaking and still the most gorgeous of its line of “entry level” Ferraris...and the one on my wall poster. But then if you want a newer one, the F430 is a huge step up in performance from the 360 without that huge a step up in price. I also think of the three, the looks of the 360 have aged the most poorly.

But if i wanted a mid-engine Ferrari, i think I’d save my pennies for longer and go 458. I haven’t driven all the Ferraris, but that is the best one I’ve driven. And it isn’t close.

Reserving judgment on the 488 family and the 430 Scud because i haven’t driven them yet...but I’m guessing i won’t like the 488 as much because i already don’t like the soundtrack and looks as much.

The 458 was a brute, it was my favorite F1 transmission car. The exhaust note was exciting and the looks were decent, although I thought it was a bit rounded following the 430, which seemed more chiseled. The time I was hired at Ferrari was at the tail end of production for the 430 and debut of the 458, so we had stupid amounts come through the shop. If I had to guess a number how many I gassed up, it would be in the high double digits (maybe 65). The Spiders were also exciting, and I thought the closest thing you could come to simulating a Targa Top next to The Superamerica, thanks to the huge C Pillars and retractable rear window.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944 this is her: a bone-stock 1990 C4. 3 owners. Full service history. Engine rebuild 15k miles ago (70k miles on the odometer). No accidents. The price starts with a 3. However, despite how clean the car is (and how good the price is), I am still having trouble getting excited about it. Out of respect for the seller, I have until this evening to decide.

PDrEiJro.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One Dino posted - gonna have to drive that one with gloves to and from car show only, and hit the interior with leather eraser when you get out. I’m not even sure if i love it either...i think too many adjacent parts are light and dark that the overall effect is like those paint jobs they used to give ships in wartime to make it harder for torpedomen to hit them.

I only posted it to show how crazy one can go with bespoke options...turning a GT2 into a car that is roughly $700K. The exterior color doesn't do anything for me, and the interior has too much going on for my taste. A person can have money to customize everything, but it doesn't mean they should, or that their idea will look great when it is finally executed.

Someone will undoubtedly pay that asking price I’m sure, or it will sit on the showroom floor and collect dust like that lime green 458 we had, that was also fully optioned out.

That was custom ordered by a person. It is already owned, so no issue with a dealer getting stuck with it...at least not until it gets traded in for something else.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944 this is her: a bone-stock 1990 C4. 3 owners. Full service history. Engine rebuild 15k miles ago (70k miles on the odometer). No accidents. The price starts with a 3. However, despite how clean the car is (and how good the price is), I am still having trouble getting excited about it. Out of respect for the seller, I have until this evening to decide.

View attachment 1394314

Personally, I love the shape, size, and distinctive air cooled engine sound more that of modern 911s. However, if you aren't excited about it don't buy it. No car can be everything to everyone, and if it doesn't do it for you, then why spend the money?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of this talk about Porsche had me thinking about the first one that I had ever seen and I’m certain it was this one, from a particular 1980’s Schwarzenegger action film called “Commando”. Would you believe my parents not only let me watch this at the tender age of 5, but they bought me the VHS (that really dates me lol). Anyone who seen the movie understands how graphic it was.

Anyway, before Arnie drops Sully off the cliff there’s one of the most badass car chases that ensues, even by today’s standards. Featured is a 69 911 Targa in a gorgeous shade of yellow.

There is also one of the most embarrassing movie mistakes among the automotive community that somehow escaped the continuity department

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before but if I were inclined to spend Ferrari/Lambo/Mclaren money on a car, I think there is a pretty good chance I would get a 911 GT of some sort (probably touring) because it's a great performance car and looks just like a regular 911 to most people. Driving an F/L/M car around the bay area draws more attention that I would generally be looking for.

Where I get hung up is on all of this interior/exterior customization stuff. As an outsider, it seems ... odd. I have some nice mountain bikes and I know there are people who get deep into the aesthetics with custom paint jobs, decals, and on and on but at the end of the day it's a tool for me. I like a good looking bike, but it's a very small piece of the puzzle.

What I can't figure out, based on what I've seen the last few pages, is how this Porsche interior stuff has developed to where it is. Like is the obsession with 1 of 1 because people think there are going to be big $$ in the future for their precious car or for bragging rights? It this a cars and coffee thing? Or is there something I'm missing? Does this have something to do with consumers being more educated and wanting to make everything exactly the way they want it? Like is this what drove Burger King to let you have it your way?

This also reminds me a bit of the whole limited edition Omega speedmaster thing. Very few, if any, of those LEs looks better than the stock speedy. As we've seen, a lot of these custom interiors are polarizing, and at the end of the day I'm not sure that most actually improve on the stock interior, but require a lot more effort in ordering, time to receive, etc. This is setting aside the cost entirely.

I'm seriously asking - what am I missing here? I'm not asking anyone to waste their time trying to convince me that I should appreciate deviated stitching or other aesthetic elements, but I would appreciate some insight as to how this became such a big part of the Porsche experience.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before but if I were inclined to spend Ferrari/Lambo/Mclaren money on a car, I think there is a pretty good chance I would get a 911 GT of some sort (probably touring) because it's a great performance car and looks just like a regular 911 to most people. Driving an F/L/M car around the bay area draws more attention that I would generally be looking for.

Where I get hung up is on all of this interior/exterior customization stuff. As an outsider, it seems ... odd. I have some nice mountain bikes and I know there are people who get deep into the aesthetics with custom paint jobs, decals, and on and on but at the end of the day it's a tool for me. I like a good looking bike, but it's a very small piece of the puzzle.

What I can't figure out, based on what I've seen the last few pages, is how this Porsche interior stuff has developed to where it is. Like is the obsession with 1 of 1 because people think there are going to be big $$ in the future for their precious car or for bragging rights? It this a cars and coffee thing? Or is there something I'm missing? Does this have something to do with consumers being more educated and wanting to make everything exactly the way they want it? Like is this what drove Burger King to let you have it your way?

This also reminds me a bit of the whole limited edition Omega speedmaster thing. Very few, if any, of those LEs looks better than the stock speedy. As we've seen, a lot of these custom interiors are polarizing, and at the end of the day I'm not sure that most actually improve on the stock interior, but require a lot more effort in ordering, time to receive, etc. This is setting aside the cost entirely.

I'm seriously asking - what am I missing here? I'm not asking anyone to waste their time trying to convince me that I should appreciate deviated stitching or other aesthetic elements, but I would appreciate some insight as to how this became such a big part of the Porsche experience.

For some folks, it’s bragging rights. I know quite a few collectors who clearly get off on others knowing how rare or expensive their options are.

Most know there is little to no chance of recovering much money spent on heavily customized interiors in a resale. So, I don’t think many are doing it for investment.

However, the most common driver for people is just wanting something your way and getting it exactly how you want it to be. This is particularly true of the GT models, since owners are more likely to envision them as “forever” cars. This was the case for me.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a screaming deal:

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.27.09 AM.png

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
$67k worth of CXX options:

View attachment 1394223 View attachment 1394220
View attachment 1394222

$92k for this one:

View attachment 1394226

Absolutely terrible, both of them. Shame about the green car because the exterior is absolutely perfect:

$_57.JPG

What’s wrong with the green interior? Would have looked great in a silver Touring.

My issue is with the exterior color. Dark greens are a bad match for winged, ducted, plastic/CF-clack track specials.

We all have our preferences, but for me, it can't get much better than the Touring spec’d GT3. This example with a glorious espresso leather interior.

View attachment 1394301

View attachment 1394302

Uggh. This is atrocious. That green on a Touring is a fine choice for the exterior. But brown leather and wood trim? Combined with black plastic trim, black webbing, and black nylon door handle straps?

Perfect example of trying, and failing, to defy the fundamentally modern design of a sports car.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think you see a lot more of this these days that Porsche GT’s are in vogue amongst the IG/hard parker crowd, but the customization has more or less been around for a while. Also, i couldn’t afford expensive cars or custom interiors in the 80’s and 90’s, but I’m guessing that improvements in manufacturing/line tech since then has made it easier for automakers to offer these programs.

To offer up my personal reasons - it’s actually the continuation of something i developed right here at StyFo. After you experience the ‘staple’ shoes and jackets, you seek to make the next items more custom to your taste, which leads to MTM and bespoke from G&G, EG, JL, Corthay, Charvet, Attolini and so on. This is really no different, just a different type of luxury good.

It’s not inherently wrong. I personally get critical if:
1. You don’t drive the car. And not necessarily just on a track or trying to break ‘ring laptimes and Armco barriers. But drive the damn thing
2. Your taste sucks (Yes, said by the guy with a purple car. But mine doesn’t suck :p )
3. The pursuit of being individual or ‘1 of 1’ overrides more important factors like good taste (see #2) or functionality

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads