• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did I say that they were OEM batteries? From my experience with our massive off-brand inventory, I noticed a trend. To be fair it was mostly with Bentley, which went dead just from sitting a few days after repair. Actually Ferrari’s didn’t really have that issue. Maserati did though. Some of the new Ferrari’s did but those were mostly new models that didn’t go through PDI yet.

This whole conversation around battery draining started with @Dino944 's comments around a plethora of Ferraris rapidly losing charge and needing to be plugged-in to last more than a few days. This is not normal or acceptable. Is everyone using the same faulty battery, by coincidence? Implausible.

brokencycle

Reaction score
OEM lead batteries can easily exceed 60 pounds. Lithium ion batteries in carbon fiber housings with similar capacity can be as low as 5 pounds. Cost is $700 - 2,000.

50+ pounds is a meaningful chunk to cut out of a ~3,000 pound performance car. And there’s no cheaper way to do it. Also, batteries tend to be mounted relatively high up, so there’s the added benefit of lowering your center of gravity.

Add a lightweight exhaust and wheels, and you can potentially shed another 40 - 80 pounds. Altogether, it can be 4 - 5% of weight reduction. That is real.

Commence the assault. Going to sleep.

1. You don't have a sense of humor do you?

2. We were talking about Bentleys, which weigh 5000+ lbs

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I'm seeing a deflection here. wasn't this about how Ferrari's are ****?

well, i mean, not built or designed well?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Configured as a little brother to my car:

View attachment 1193905

Adds up to $131K. Then add $15-20K for dealer mark-up. At $150K, I'd be looking for used, stripper 991.2 GT3s.

Found momma for sale at Costco

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
After our Volvo acquisition Imma big fan of Costco program. That alone got me 4k of what ended up being nearly 10k off MSRP.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Costco only ever has Nissan's on display. Nashville is the US HQ for Nissan but what a boring company. They design a car then go on holiday for like 8 years then make an incremental update and go back on Holiday.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Costco only ever has Nissan's on display. Nashville is the US HQ for Nissan but what a boring company. They design a car then go on holiday for like 8 years then make an incremental update and go back on Holiday.
Case in point: R35 GTR

Introduced in US market, 2008
MSRP $65,000

Same car in 2019
MSRP of “nismo” version: $200,000+

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Draining the batteries in a few days is a sign of something wrong. My Cayman cranks more effortfully if I leave it alone for 2 weeks, and is even worse if I leave the car unlocked. My guess is that there's something not going to sleep and causing a parasitic power draw. Another 997 I know will drain its batteries in about a week, but I don't think the owner's figured out what's wrong there. The E46 will start like nothing's wrong after a month off.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I’m supposed to be the elitist...
Not elitism, just preserving asset value. How else would I ask for $30k ADM if my PTS ceases to be PTS??

At least my 1 of x UV is still sitting pretty waiting for that one secondary buyer irrationally obsessed with Gengar Pokémon :lol:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Draining the batteries in a few days is a sign of something wrong. My Cayman cranks more effortfully if I leave it alone for 2 weeks, and is even worse if I leave the car unlocked. My guess is that there's something not going to sleep and causing a parasitic power draw. Another 997 I know will drain its batteries in about a week, but I don't think the owner's figured out what's wrong there. The E46 will start like nothing's wrong after a month off.
You beat me to this explanation while I was busy trolling other topics. It’s clearly parasitic draw. However, Some cars have this by design, since some systems (not clear which) still draw power while the car is sleeping.

McLaren for one - every employee at my dealer has repeated with annoying regulatory that the car always needs to stay on the trickle charger. I heard Ferrari was another. It’s not a sign necessarily of a car manufacturer not being able to find a proper battery supplier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads