• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So Ford is saying they will mass produce an autonomous car in 5 years.

Now I am wondering if I should throw down on an LC or just wait and let my car do the driving. I am kind of favoring the latter.

At his own company's building, you could hear the crickets.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At his own company's building, you could hear the crickets.

Yeah. It seems overly ambitious to me. But who knows?

While I like driving, honestly I would trade it for a more chilled out non-driving activity any day of the week. My biggest problem is I get car sick if I try and do things while someone else is driving (and having been a management consultant, working on spreadsheets in the back of a Lincoln Town Car is my idea of hell).

Anyway, I will see how the first year LCs look and then decide whether to do it. I don't mind the spindle grill, so that part doesn't bother me.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ford hasn't been able to make a piece of interior trim stay in place for more than a year. They've only had more than a hundred years to figure it out.

If you want to trust their autonomous tech with your sweet ass, be my guest

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what this foam piece might be? Found it in my trunk.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ford hasn't been able to make a piece of interior trim stay in place for more than a year. They've only had more than a hundred years to figure it out.

If you want to trust their autonomous tech with your sweet ass, be my guest

F ound O n R oad D ead

Fix Or Repair Daily

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Base or not, all models are much the same. What seperates them as a used car? - condition.

Buy the expensive one? Replace all the tired stuff anyway. You did the right thing by getting the best deal on a solid base car.

Use the savings from the price difference to replace said tired parts? You have a new car in a classic shell. Driving as good, or better than the day it rolled off the lot.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@gf. I suspect your a/c itself may be fine. The controls in your dashboard, not so much.

Sorry mang. More info later.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't even know why mullet boy Fields tried this stunt. They must have some secret sauce that's ahead of Mercedes, Tesla and my next door neighbor.

Ford is making some solid cars and trucks - push that. If you really want to claim this, at least have some sort of luny clay mockup.

The worst part is he did this announcement within a stones throw of Apple, Google and Tesla's HQ.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Base or not, all models are much the same. What seperates them as a used car? - condition.

Buy the expensive one? Replace all the tired stuff anyway. You did the right thing by getting the best deal on a solid base car.

Use the savings from the price difference to replace said tired parts? You have a new car in a classic shell. Driving as good, or better than the day it rolled off the lot.

Yeah, I agree with you.

The biggest disappointment I have is that I think the car had a few more scratches put on the body since I last saw it. I looked back at the pictures I took and it looked a LOT better. That realization sucked a bit. I didn't remember the trunk really having any scratches or anything. I was going to look into getting colorite pens with paint and clear coat.

I don't think I'm ready to do a bunch of part swappage right now, but maybe in the winter I'll get a jack and put the car up on stands. I can probably spend a couple of hours a week working on the car so I can probably do the shocks over a week or two. Might not be able to do the differential myself, but we'll see. That's all I'd have planned for the start anyway. I should probably do the timing belt, serpentine belt, and water pump at some point soon. I think I've seen some cars go till 120k with no issues, but I'm pretty sure the previous owner never did those.

I appreciate all your input btw.

And @GreenFrog , I completely agree with you. No point tinkering till I have stuff down. That jackson racing supercharger for sale is so cheap though! It sells new for like 2500.

Any recs for what to do a clean/wax with? I might give it a go over the next few days to get it looking all nice!
Side note, think the current wheels would look better if I spray painted them black and blasted them with clear?

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any recs for what to do a clean/wax with? I might give it a go over the next few days to get it looking all nice!

If you want to practice for cars in the future, look into sites like autokeek or autopia. However, the best thing is to just talk to a top notch local detailer.

Waxes are for show cars. For a DD, sealants are better options unless you have a top tier thing like c quartz on there already (which all tend to be just super hard sealants).

Also, get used to a two bucket wash.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want to practice for cars in the future, look into sites like autokeek or autopia. However, the best thing is to just talk to a top notch local detailer.

Waxes are for show cars. For a DD, sealants are better options unless you have a top tier thing like c quartz on there already (which all tend to be just super hard sealants).

Also, get used to a two bucket wash.

I just want to cover up some of the surface scratches etc. I'm a little irked by it because the pictures I took when I saw the car a week and a half ago didn't show any of this stuff. If I can treat it a bit, I'll be happy. The car needs a good clean on the outside anyway.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just want to cover up some of the surface scratches etc. I'm a little irked by it because the pictures I took when I saw the car a week and a half ago didn't show any of this stuff. If I can treat it a bit, I'll be happy. The car needs a good clean on the outside anyway.

Just go on the detailing forums. There are different levels of OCD.

For now, though, why not stop worrying about performance or looks and just enjoy the car?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Don't mind a bit of polishing. .

If you want results like this: (from a car with heavy scratches on it, especially the door handles)

Steps~
]1.Take it to a self car wash, pressure wash thouroughly, doing the underbody and engine here couldn't hurt.

2.hand wash, then clay bar with water, wash with a bucket and soapy water. Rinse and chamois dry.

3. Buy some painters masking tape. Tape ALL the corners and trim pieces.

4. Use a cutting polish, hand polish is fine, but at this step a buffer comes into it's own.

5. Use a carnauba wax polish. Re do the whole car again with the softer polish.

6. Remove masking tape, hand polish all the corners carefully. Indicators and lights can get some love too.

7. Rub down the whole car with a soft cloth. To remove excess polish in all the grooves and leave a clean surface. You can then do a spray wax coat or another protective wax coat of your choice.

8. Clean your windows, then grab a cloth. Apply tire shine to all your black plastic trims, then your tires.

Voila! Your 4k turd looks a million dollars. :bigstar:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members