• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Switching an lsd is no big deal, but you would need to take the new diff center somewhere with your old diff center to get the crown wheel swapped over to the new diff. Then install with all apropriate seals and fluid.

Don't Miata's come stock with lsd?

Still wouldn't try to start fresh with somebody's used racecar. I am dailying one now. Fixing somedody's mistakes, plus the wear and tear costs more long term than starting with a stocker.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Yes, my $800 Subaru Spanked a Porsche Macan Turbo recently. :slayer:

Then i got ****** handed to me by a GT3. No surprises there. See you this time next year Blackbird. ;)

Imma have to drop 10k into it if i wanna catch the gt3. And a lot of hours. Could have stayed closer, but my car is old and tired, and i ain't going far over the limit on the street. I top out at the limit and ease off. He just kept going. And my gawd was he fast. :eh:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Switching an lsd is no big deal, but you would need to take the new diff center somewhere with your old diff center to get the crown wheel swapped over to the new diff. Then install with all apropriate seals and fluid.

Don't Miata's come stock with lsd?

Still wouldn't try to start fresh with somebody's used racecar. I am dailying one now. Fixing somedody's mistakes, plus the wear and tear costs more long term than starting with a stocker.

There are a lot of miatas that come with LSD's, but the base models don't. Apparently it's a very easy swap because you can just drop it in and re-seal on the NB's.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Same with most cars. Switching from Oem single wheel to OEM lsd. But if you held off, and got a quality aftermarket one, you need to reuse your crownwheel, unless you get a fairly fresh used one.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same with most cars. Switching from Oem single wheel to OEM lsd. But if you held off, and got a quality aftermarket one, you need to reuse your crownwheel, unless you get a fairly fresh used one.

Right. That's one of the reason I was wondering about the car that's been beat on. I'd switch to the oem torsen LSD. There's nothing suggesting that it's not good enough for more spirited use should I decide to go that path.

It comes with a lot of good aftermarket stuff (roll bar, lightweight flywheel, better wheels, LSD, etc). The top has a hole in it, but supposedly doesn't leak (yet) and can likely be fixed at this point.

That's why I was wondering if the balance was to pay the same for a car that would need quite a bit of work to get to where the black car is vs. what the cost would be to throw a different 1.8l engine in there if the one in there croaked. And yeah, I understand that autocross is hard on wheel bearings, the differential, engine, etc etc etc, but I'm trying to figure out where the balance is.

The guy was selling the car to buy an ND. He only autocrossed it once, because his friend built an exoskeleton miata. The previous owner did it a few times.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
It's a nice looking car, but i bet it's tired. My point is, you will probably need to replace most of the stuff in time anyway. Why not start with a new body?
What would it take?

Wheels/tire. -used wheels, Federal 595RR tires.
An Lsd. Whatever suits your budget.
Coilovers- i can help you there.
Brake disc/pad/line/fluid.- simple upgrade.
Clutch- a decent make entry model should be fine with Miata power.

Looks are up to your own taste.

The balance is, which car do you want to replace all the stuff in?

(The one that needs less fixing,to enjoy it in good health before you mod it)

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a nice looking car, but i bet it's tired. My point is, you will probably need to replace most of the stuff in time anyway. Why not start with a new body?
What would it take?

Wheels/tire. -used wheels, Federal 595RR tires.
An Lsd. Whatever suits your budget.
Coilovers- i can help you there.
Brake disc/pad/line/fluid.- simple upgrade.
Clutch- a decent make entry model should be fine with Miata power.

Looks are up to your own taste.

The balance is, which car do you want to replace all the stuff in?

(The one that needs less fixing,to enjoy it in good health before you mod it)

Fair enough, this person's asking more but it's super low miles and the car is a 2000 LS with the torsen diff.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5660766136.html

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Rear bumper and trunk. Looks like it had a few bumps.

But if it's not rusty, and mechanically is good? Have at it.

Last edited:

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with more stock and lower miles than one that's modded, personally.

Drive it stock for a bit and mod it myself when the bug bites.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah GF didn't see the textuals. Which era? I'm guessing V8.

Ima need an image of this bad boy, stat, P&T. :)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rear bumper and trunk. Looks like it had a few bumps.

But if it's not rusty, and mechanically is good? Have at it.

Good eye. He said it was painted. Must have been a sub-par job!
I would go with more stock and lower miles than one that's modded, personally.

Drive it stock for a bit and mod it myself when the bug bites.

Yeah, I'm leaning very heavily towards the 00 with the ugly wheels lol. I'll make her the offer when she's back in town and go have the PPI done on monday next week cash in hand.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Fish