• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

caring for white shirts

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do certain deoderants contain some kind of chemical that leaves yellow stains on white shirts? sometimes its right away, sometimes it accumulates over time. what can i do to remove them? ive tried bleach but it doesnt always work. ive also tried oxyclean.

i know i could wear an undershirt, but it is just too hot during the summer to do so. also, ive had a hard time finding white shirts that arent broadcloths that arent see-through. plus, its hard finding undershirts that fit me properly and which arent too "bold;" ive heard wearing gray shirts help?

should i just stop wearing white shirts completely?

arc

Reaction score
Those stains are caused by (or amplified by) the aluminum compounds in antiperspirants. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminu...lothing_stains) Try switching to a plain deodorant. I've heard of people having some success with vinegar and warm washes to remove them. Lots of information available on the google, or in the Health&Body section here. ps: You can always try a nice red wine vinegar or balsamic if clear vinegars fail to remove the stain.
tongue.gif

usctrojan55

Reaction score
Put a scoop of oxyclean in a large bowl, fill with warm water, and put just the armpits of the shirts in, and soak for a few hours. Spot, then wash the shirts as you would normally do (I wash them on cold and use an extra rinse). The stain should go awat completely or almost completely after just one soak and wash. I have never had one that survived two soaks. It hasnt affected the fit of the shirt in any way.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
also, don't dip your elbow in a puddle of coffee while wearing a white shirt like i just did
ffffuuuu.gif

vincerich

Reaction score
Stains and marks are the reason for why I'm reluctant to wear white shirts. They look so crisp, but I hate doing the damage check on them when I get home at night. I generally cut my losses by buying a huge number of them.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im also fairly dark-skinned, and darker in the summer, so when it is sunny out, i may as well be wearing clear plastic bags.

i wish i could afford to buy white shirts by the boatload, but theyre just as expensive as any other shirt.
ffffuuuu.gif

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
do certain deoderants contain some kind of chemical that leaves yellow stains on white shirts? sometimes its right away, sometimes it accumulates over time. what can i do to remove them? ive tried bleach but it doesnt always work. ive also tried oxyclean.

i know i could wear an undershirt, but it is just too hot during the summer to do so. also, ive had a hard time finding white shirts that arent broadcloths that arent see-through. plus, its hard finding undershirts that fit me properly and which arent too "bold;" ive heard wearing gray shirts help?

should i just stop wearing white shirts completely?

Don't ever expose the shirt to heat. Use only cold water and don't put them in the dryer (heat sets the anti-perspirant stains). If you follow this, then oxyclean will be magic. If you've already exposed them to heat, then very concentrated oxyclean will lighten them a bit, often enough to be passable. Washing shirts immediately in cold water will help prevent the stains from forming. Btw, if you're using only cold water, you may have trouble getting oil stains around the collar out. You can remedy this by using baking soda (dissolved in a bit of hot water, then mixed with cold, before the clothes are added).

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos
Don't ever expose the shirt to heat. Use only cold water and don't put them in the dryer (heat sets the anti-perspirant stains). If you follow this, then oxyclean will be magic. If you've already exposed them to heat, then very concentrated oxyclean will lighten them a bit, often enough to be passable.

Washing shirts immediately in cold water will help prevent the stains from forming.

Btw, if you're using only cold water, you may have trouble getting oil stains around the collar out. You can remedy this by using baking soda (dissolved in a bit of hot water, then mixed with cold, before the clothes are added).

Do you mean use cold water and not any kind of detergent other than baking soda?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
90% of my shirts are white and I have a routine.
Number one is always wear an undershirt. In the summer it is hot, suck it up and wear one. I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable than ruin thousands of dollars of shirts.

Number two is only wear them once before washing, like others have said only use cold water and never a dryer. Let them hang dry.

Number three is that whenever I take them off I immediately spray the collar, cuffs and underarms with shout, and I let it sit until the next time I throw them in the wash.

Also, which will be even more hot in the summer is that I find that pinpoint shirts wash better and don't stain nearly as easily as poplin, or broadcloth. All my white shirts are pinpoint. They don't wrinkle as easily either.

This all should do it.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A little talc powder on the neck should completely eliminate the "ring around the collar." It also helps with comfort.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Number three is that whenever I take them off I immediately spray the collar, cuffs and underarms with shout, and I let it sit until the next time I throw them in the wash.

How long do you leave Shout on the shirt before washing? I seem to remember staining a shirt with Shout because I put it on and didn't wash the shirt for a while afterwards. Admittedly, it was something like three weeks (I was still in college). Plus, according to the back of the bottle, this risk is higher with light shirts.

exchange239

Reaction score
I used to have some problems with the undershirts and the deodorants leaving stains. I used to use the standard roll-on types. Ever since I switched to the spray aerosol can types (few years ago) I've yet to have the same problem (knock on wood)

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Gall soap
thumbs-up.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads