• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cap in a fine restaurant

YMark

Reaction score
We apparently have the only Ruth's Chris Steakhouse to *not* require men to wear a jacket.  I've never been, but my gf's father says so.
You're not required to wear a jacket at the Ruth's Chris here in Arizona as well. Good thing or RC would find their restaurants empty in the summer.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not required to wear a jacket at the Ruth's Chris here in Arizona as well. Good thing or RC would find their restaurants empty in the summer.
Same here I'm sure. It's all rich guys getting off their huge boats ready to spend big $$. Add to that hot and humid weather and there're no jackets.

bob

kennethpollock

Reaction score
It's summmer and it's hot. I have decided to take the majority opinion and "lighten up." Those signs that say "No shirt, no shoes, no service" are elitist and should go.
How much more comfortable it would for me to eat at the Michelin *** Jean-Georges on a warm summmer evening bare-chested and bare-footed. If anyone at the next table has their evening damaged because of my attire, they are prigs and snobs. They should mind their own business, as long as I am not loud or obnoxious. I have the right to do my "own thing" regardless of the opinions of those around me.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's the spirit old chap! I smash a beer can on my forehead to salute you.
smile.gif

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
smile.gif

I usually shotgun mine and then belch loudly (for some reason, the waiter always looks at me funny when I ask that he bring me a beer in a can). The other patrons invariably look over at my table with what I can only assume to be awe and respect (except for that one guy who's always busy adding something to his drink from a box he keeps under his table).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Pardon me - do you have any Grey Poupon?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
smile.gif

Hey - I thought the Men of the Square Table agreed that we're not supposed to smash beer cans on our heads anymore.

Man Law!

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
We apparently have the only Ruth's Chris Steakhouse to *not* require men to wear a jacket.
bob

Not required in Nashville, either.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fine, I blame my story about Ruth's Chris on my to-be father in law. Just don't tell him I said so. I stand (or slouch on the couch as it were) corrected many times over.

bob

Reaction score
It's up to the discretion of the restaraunt to set the dress code.

If you came up to me while I was having my dinner and asked/told me to remove my hat (not saying that I neccesarily wear one at dinner), I would ask you to go outside and ruin your fancy little "Savile Row bespoke suit, shirt by Charvet, H&H tie and EG shoes".

If a manager/owner/employee asked me to remove the hat, then I would courteously oblige.

You have no right to make me remove my hat. You can scoff at me with your nose in the air. But rest assured, that nose would be broken if some clown felt their evening was ruined by another human, simply because of their attire.

In fact, I'd be more annoyed by the person who thinks their brand name clothing enhances the atmosphere, rather than by the person wearing a hat that supposedly less said ambience.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I thought I would add this to the discussion purely as an example. We all know that different places have different customs and that while doing X might be considered gauche in one city it isn't in another. Here in Annapolis, Maryland, apparently things are pretty laid back. We apparently have the only Ruth's Chris Steakhouse to *not* require men to wear a jacket. I've never been, but my gf's father says so.

bob

I go back a long way with Ruth's Chris. I ate my first meal at Chris' Steak House in New Orleans in 1959, while in college at Tulane. I remember that my then girlfriend's father's poker club ate there once a month. They were slobs (think Oscar Madison) and certainly did not dress up for dinner. The day after I graduated Tulane Law School in 1965, Ruth Fertell bought the place. She had worked in administation at Tulane, I think as a secretary, and her timing was to buy it right after the school year ended.
A few years later, on a visit back to New Orleans, I ate there with my wife and my sister. Ruth had changed the name by then. She did not want to do entirely away with the old name (as lots of locals still call it Chris') but got tired of newcomers asking if she was Chris. She began franchising in the 1970s.
She died a few years ago. Before her death, she sold out to a group of investors. Her $400,000 marble tomb is located right next to one built by the founder of Popeye's and Copeland's. When the tomb was first built, [the dying] Ruth had a big party at the site, with a marching funeral band. Instead of sprinkling holy water on the tomb, the priest subtituted beer.
The original Chris' location, on Broad Street, on the way back to town from the racetrack, was destroyed by Katrina and will not be re-built. The head office has moved to Tampa.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Someone commented that they could not imagine why a man would wear a cap in such a situation. Recognizing that I am describing a fairly unique situation, I offer one hypothetical reason. I once worked with a guy who had had some sort of brain surgery that, obviously, required that the surgeons cut open, and then suture closed, his head. The resulting scars were very visible, and he was very self-conscious about it. As a result, he wore a baseball cap constantly, even in situations where it appeared quite incongrous. I can imagine someone who is self-conscious about hair loss, visible birth marks, scars, etc. might choose to wear a hat at all times in public, although such an explanation obviously does not speak to the type of hat one chooses.
It occurs to me that -- while not likely -- it could have been a religious observance issue. Some of my observant Jewish neighbors use a baseball cap as their chosen head-covering as opposed to yarmulke or other more traditional choice. Again, though, it certainly can be argued that there are more appropriate types of head-covers for certain venues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads