• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cap in a fine restaurant

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once summer evening I went in a bar with a guy i knew.

He was tall and fat and was wearing black leather.

The guard at the entry told him to put out his gloves inside.

Strange?

May be every restaurants should have a cap guard?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once summer evening I went in a bar with a guy i knew.

He was tall and fat and was wearing black leather.

The guard at the entry told him to put out his gloves inside.

Strange?

May be every restaurants should have a cap guard?
I've gotta quit partying so much on weekends...

I have no clue what this means.

K

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was the name of the restaurant? Michael's at the Colony Surf hotel, right? There used to be several resto's in Honolulu that had coat and tie policies.

It was actually the signature restaurant at the Lodge at Koele on Lenai (I can't remember the name of the restaurant). Lenai is (I believe) the smallest of the Hawaiian islands and was once owned in its entirety by Dole. Most tourists who come there stay at either the Lodge or at another resort, Manele Bay. The resorts are inter-related (e.g. you can stay at the Lodge, but also charge lunches etc. at Manele to your room). I highly recommend going to Lenai for a couple of days if you ever visit Hawaii. Great golf and snorkling, and a host of other activities which you can do through the resorts (at a fairly steep price, but a vacation in Hawaii is hard to do on the cheap if you want to do it right).

Jeff

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
I have been put to the test. It has happened twice in the last three weeks.
First, it was at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Buckhead branch, Atlanta; about a $80/person restaurant. My wife, our friend, and I arrived 20 minutes early. They asked us to wait in the bar. While there, I saw a man in his late 50's wearing a cap. His party (6-7 people) got their table before we were called. Then, about 10 minutes later, we were told that our table was ready. I glanced in and saw that they were finishing setting up a table right next to the guy. He was still wearing the cap. I told the manager that I was not willing to sit next to the type of person who would wear a cap inside an expensive restaurant and that we would eat at a table in the bar, instead. He glanced in and said; "Oh." He then said that they had a "flexible" policy about caps. He said that if the man had gone straight into the dining room, he would have noticed him and asked him the remove the cap, but the man got around him by going to the bar first. He said it was too late now.  He also said the man had had some trouble getting there. His cab got lost. We ate in the bar. It was a great dinner.
Then, last Saturday night was at Oceanaire Seafood Room in Atlanta, also about a $80/person restaurant. When we arrived, they led us to a booth next to a table were a man sat, wearing a cap. I asked for another table far away and got it. The manager came over and asked if we would prefer a booth, but when I told him about the cap, he said that that was the only booth, unless we wanted to wait a while. He also said that they tried to stop customers coming in who were wearing caps, but if they got by him, were seated and were there a while, he could do nothing.
I suspect that both restaurants were trying to stop cap wearers at the door and offer them the choice of removing the cap or being denied a table, but if the customer somehow got in and seated with the cap, the places wanted to avoid the embarrassment of having to throw them out.
A fair policy.
The Oceanaire Seafood Room, where we are also regulars, had been unable to get us a reservation at our usual 8:00 time, so we had to come early. The manager said that would not happen again. He said that he had made reservations for us on every Saturday night at 8:00 for the next month and if we could not come for any, just cancel.
That is service. I would like to think that we get such treatment due to my good looks, etc., but I think the fact that my wife and I are fairly well known as frequent dining companions of Atlanta's leading restaurant critic helps some.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Oceanaire Seafood Room, where we are also regulars, had been unable to get us a reservation at our usual 8:00 time, so we had to come early. The manager said that would not happen again. He said that he had made reservations for us on every Saturday night at 8:00 for the next month and if we could not come for any, just cancel. That is service. I would like to think that we get such treatment due to my good looks, etc., but I think the fact that my wife and I are fairly well known as frequent dining companions of Atlanta's leading restaurant critic helps some.
And because they know you will not wear a cap to dinner.
smile.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horrible. Things for keeping up the good fight.

Once we are rid of those wearing head-gear, we then go after those not wearing coat & tie.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm far from a stuffy person, however someone wearing a cap to dinner would piss me off as well.

I refuse to dine with some of my best friends because they insist on leaving the table 2-3 times during the meal to go outside and smoke a ciggarette. How incredibly rude is that? I also cannot stand to dine with more than 5 people at a table. I notice when there are 6 or more, common ettiquette and manners go straight out the window.

PHV

Reaction score
First, it was at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Buckhead branch, Atlanta; about a $80/person restaurant. My wife, our friend, and I arrived 20 minutes early. They asked us to wait in the bar. While there, I saw a man in his late 50's there wearing a cap. His party (6-7 people) got their table before we were called. Then, about 10 minutes later, we were told that our table was ready. I glanced in and saw that they were finishing setting up a table right next to the guy. He was still wearing the cap. I told the manager that I was not willing to sit next to the type of person who would wear a cap inside an expensive restaurant and that we would eat at a table in the bar, instead. He glanced in and said; "Oh." He then said that they had a "flexible" policy about caps. He said that if the man had gone straight into the dining room, he would have noticed him and asked him the remove the cap, but the man got around him by going to the bar first. He said it was too late now.  He also said the man had had some trouble getting there. His cab got lost. We ate in the bar. It was a great dinner.
Then, last Saturday night was at Oceanaire Seafood Room in Atlanta, also about a $80/person restaurant. When we arrived, they led us to a booth next to a table were a man sat, wearing a cap. I asked for another table far away and got it. The manager came over and asked if we would prefer a booth, but when I told him about the cap, he said that that was the only booth, unless we wanted to wait a while. He also said that they tried to stop customers coming in who were wearing caps, but if they got by him, were seated and were there a while, he could do nothing.
I suspect that both restaurants were trying to stop cap wearers at the door and offer them the choice of removing the cap or being denied a table, but if the customer somehow got in and seated with the cap, the places wanted to avoid the embarrassment of having to throw them out.
A fair policy.
The Oceanaire Seafood Room, where we are also regulars, had been unable to get us a reservation at our usual 8:00 time, so we had to come early. The manager said that would not happen again. He said that he had made reservations for us on every Saturday night at 8:00 for the next month and if we could not come for any, just cancel.
That is service. I would like to think that we get such treatment due to my good looks, etc., but I think the fact that my wife and I are fairly well known as frequent dining companions of Atlanta's leading restaurant critic helps some.
It's nice to know that you like food, but really, get over yourself.

I'm sure chefs tremble when you walk in, with your elite food doyens and captains of industry forming your ominous possy of old world etiquette and values.

This is America, where many different ideas exist. I don't agree with wearing a hat inside, I think it is boorish. However, even if I'm spending the national debt of Sudan, I don't demand to be sat at another table away from the plebians.

For all the class and sophistication that you claim to have, you fall short in tolerance, another hallmark of the well raised. I cannot understand how a fairly intelligent individual is put off by something so insignificant. Yes, it is vulgar, but these are different times my friend.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm far from a stuffy person, however someone wearing a cap to dinner would piss me off as well.

I refuse to dine with some of my best friends because they insist on leaving the table 2-3 times during the meal to go outside and smoke a ciggarette. How incredibly rude is that? I also cannot stand to dine with more than 5 people at a table. I notice when there are 6 or more, common ettiquette and manners go straight out the window.
One used to be able to smoke in resturants.

And fine ones at that.

Brian SD

Reaction score
It would drive me nuts if people insisted on going outside for a smoke break. However, wearing a cap? I still insist that it's rediculous to care or be bothered by it. I can understand just telling your buddy to remove it, but does it REALLY detract from your dining experience to be sitting near someone wearing a hat? I'm glad that it doesn't for me.

YMark

Reaction score
It's nice to know that you like food, but really, get over yourself. I'm sure chefs tremble when you walk in, with your elite food doyens and captains of industry forming your ominous possy of old world etiquette and values. This is America, where many different ideas exist. I don't agree with wearing a hat inside, I think it is boorish. However, even if I'm spending the national debt of Sudan, I don't demand to be sat at another table away from the plebians. For all the class and sophistication that you claim to have, you fall short in tolerance, another hallmark of the well raised. I cannot understand how a fairly intelligent individual is put off by something so insignificant. Yes, it is vulgar, but these are different times my friend.
I agree. I can't stand caps in nice restaurants either, but you really should get over yourself. You sound like you'd be a great table mate yourself.
sarcasm.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why should KP "get over" himself (whatever that trite phrase means). The problem is with the slob in the baseball cap.

PHV

Reaction score
Why should KP "get over" himself (whatever that trite phrase means).  The problem is with the slob in the baseball cap.
Yes, but there is quite a problem if you are so affected by it that you and your epicurean goons cannot possibly go on sitting beside that slob.

If I found your wife ugly, or if you were well out of my tax bracket, I would hardly find it acceptable to ask to be moved to a different table. I know it's not the same thing, but really, if you're so damn sophisticated, use your sophistication to conjure up an image of a manificant souflee in the place of the cap wearing slob.

No one is disputing that wearing a cap indoors is wrong. I just think that there is also something quite boorish about making a big issue about it. In the end you look like a pathetic drama queen with something to prove.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Horace,June 27 2005,21:32
Why should KP "get over" himself (whatever that trite phrase means). Â The problem is with the slob in the baseball cap.
Yes, but there is quite a problem if you are so affected by it that you and your epicurean goons cannot possibly go on sitting beside that slob. If I found your wife ugly, or if you were well out of my tax bracket, I would hardly find it acceptable to ask to be moved to a different table. I know it's not the same thing, but really, if you're so damn sophisticated, use your sophistication to conjure up an image of a manificant souflee in the place of the cap wearing slob. No one is disputing that wearing a cap indoors is wrong. I just think that there is also something quite boorish about making a big issue about it. In the end you look like a pathetic drama queen with something to prove.
Epicurean isn't the word you're looking for. But KP didn't seem to make "big point" of it, nor was the behavior he described "boorish". Â He appears to have been discreet. Â Cap-wearing slobs shouldn't be allowed in the restaurant. edit: no one is claiming, except you, that this is a matter of "class" or "sophistication", but rather it's a matter of decency and decorum. If _not_ wearing a hat is sophisticated, then we've got a problem with what that concept means.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads