• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali Suit size Question

sf417

Reaction score
What does the size 50/6C mean in a Canali Suit?

I understand the 50 means a size 50 Italian Size, but what about the 6C? What would 6R mean?

Thanks

rajesh06

Reaction score
Both of my Canalis are labeled 52 7 L. I wear a 42 L. I am guessing the 7 is drop.
"Corto" is Italian for Short so I assume that the C indicates a short suit and R a regular suit.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The drop is the difference between the chest and the waist measurement. A 6 inch drop on a 40R suit would mean the suit is made to accomandate a 34 inch waist (40 - 6 = 34).

sf417

Reaction score
Thanks, so a canali suit with 50R with drop 6 would mean a 44 waist, what does that equate to in US size?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "C" stands for a short, R for regular, and L and sometimes T or Long or Tall. The other number usually a 6, 7, and sometimes and 8 is the drop. So a 50R would have a 34" waist roughly. This all changes because its on centimeters. So as you get larger the size changes. a 50R would be about a 39.5R US. but when you get to say a 56R it would be a 44R us. This is because the europeans measure across the chest, so a 56R is a chest size of 112 centimeters. When you convert this to inches its abour 44". But as a 50R whic is 100 cm comes out to be about 39.5" Look at a tape to get better sizing info.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you should aim at around $400-600.

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf417
In terms of pricing, does $800 sound reasonable for a Canali suit?

$800 at a retail store for goods that are not shop worn and of a good color and style for you is very good.

You can bottom feed on Ebay or at a deep discounter for the shopworn and hideous styles that no one else will buy.

Now sometimes bottom fishing can get you a quality garment still in good condition that will fit in your rotation but you need to be very lucky or very persistent for that to happen.

Perry

sf417

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
$800 at a retail store for goods that are not shop worn and of a good color and style for you is very good.

You can bottom feed on Ebay or at a deep discounter for the shopworn and hideous styles that no one else will buy.

Now sometimes bottom fishing can get you a quality garment still in good condition that will fit in your rotation but you need to be very lucky or very persistent for that to happen.

Perry

Thanks Guys -- Yes $800 is from a retail store - I am hesitant to go the ebay route since I am not as familiar with quality suits and wouldn't be able to spot a fake.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy

Perry

I like this advice. How come i don't hear this more often?

As for the $800 i think its a good deal. Its probibly from either last season, or this season, someone said that bloomingdales was doing 40% off. I know they only do level 1 and 2 fabrics but still a good price. Plus the customer service you pay for as well is worth it. I would say go for the $800. Plus if its not a departement store they probibly have a pretty good tailor that will do a good job rather than taking it to some free standing tailor who from my experiences and those i know are awful.

sf417

Reaction score
Appreciate the excellent advice - Am pretty close to pulling the trigger on this one -- will let you know if I go for it. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads