• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali or Zegna level vs Dior/YSL/Prada level Suits

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Do you want a fashion forward suit or do you need a conservative work suit? The former will be at YSL, Dior, Prada, etc. while the latter will be at Corneliani, Zegna, etc. Though you could always opt for like...a RLBL, a slim Kiton, or an Isaia, which would be kind of like having the best of both worlds.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
The thing is, you're a fairly short guy (no offense; I'm in the same predicament), and the suits made by Dior, YSL, and Prada all cater to tall, model-esque people. It's might be a better idea to size down on a Canali, Corneliani, etc. and then tailor it down to fit you perfectly (this is what I do, and I'm 5'6". I usually size down to a 44 as long as it has sufficiently high armholes for it fit properly after getting all the necessary tailoring). Almost everyone will need to at least get SOME tailoring done on OTR suits. It'll look better and it'll be something that will be able to work 10-20 years from now. If you want a more fashion-forward suit, look for one with slimmer lapels at those stores.

hermes man

Reaction score
why not consider giorgio armani? they make the best suit

anyway if i had to choose against canali/zegna i'd take prada/ysl/dior anytime

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

jjj8989

Reaction score
i am fairly short, no offence taken!

hmm..good idea about sizing down on a corneliani or canali, i had'nt thought of that.i imagine the shoulders would be too small thought sizing down from 38-36

anyways i've tried for about 15 hours so far searching forums to find out the information to my question, hard to figure out which direction to go

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjj8989
as far as armani from what i've read on this forum corneliani or canali much better, i'm not a label whore so could'nt care less about armani TBH..
From what I read, the newer Armani Collezioni are basically Zenga. I have one, and I love it (avatar).

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
i am fairly short, no offence taken! hmm..good idea about sizing down on a corneliani or canali, i had'nt thought of that.i imagine the shoulders would be too small thought sizing down from 38-36 i really dont think a dior/prada cut woudl look good on a 44 frame in a 5'6 body so i understnad why you go with canali, but i'm slender and 5'7/short..so not sure what will look best - designer versus suitmaker..thats really the essence of my question i always get tailoring done on my suits, just not sure how a canali looks on someone with my frame. as far as armani from what i've read on this forum corneliani or canali much better, i'm not a label whore so could'nt care less about armani TBH.. anyways i've tried for about 15 hours so far searching forums to find out the information to my question, hard to figure out which direction to go
I'm a EU46S (US 36S), not a US46S
smile.gif
. I'm a short, 130 lb. Asian lol ~_~;; I size down to a EU44S because it fits well in the shoulder and chest for me (I think it was around a 37 chest measurement on the EU44S, which made it nice and slim for me in the end). The only real tailoring I need to do is to get the paints slimmed down and hemmed and shorten the sleeves.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the other thread weren't you looking for tailors in Milano?

If so there is or was a Zegna outlet outside of Milano. Z Zegna at the outlet is very cheap. A fraction of your budget. It's an outlet so supply is very hit and miss but if the stuff fits you all you're risking is the time for the trip.

Zegna's Milano and Couture is broader shouldered. More athletic then Z. If you're slim in the sense of narrow shoulders and smaller arms then you might find both too big in the shoulders/arms. They both can come with fair drops if that's what you mean by slim.

I find Canali pants baggier then the same size from Zegna.

hermes man

Reaction score
i am fairly short, no offence taken!

hmm..good idea about sizing down on a corneliani or canali, i had'nt thought of that.i imagine the shoulders would be too small thought sizing down from 38-36

i really dont think a dior/prada cut woudl look good on a 44 frame in a 5'6 body so i understnad why you go with canali, but i'm slender and 5'7/short..so not sure what will look best - designer versus suitmaker..thats really the essence of my question

i always get tailoring done on my suits, just not sure how a canali looks on someone with my frame.

as far as armani from what i've read on this forum corneliani or canali much better, i'm not a label whore so could'nt care less about armani TBH..

anyways i've tried for about 15 hours so far searching forums to find out the information to my question, hard to figure out which direction to go

thats because most people in the forum who said Armanis are bad because they had experience with 99% discounted armanis that had been on the rack for 20 years in macys or something

head over to Giorgio Armani boutique and check out yourself

oh yes why dont u go to all the stores mentioned and try each of them yourself and get the one that look best on you...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics