• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you recommend a great, matte, everyday sunblock with high UVA protection?

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to use L'Oréal Paris Solar Expertise Anti-Wrinkle Moisturising Matte Fluid SPF 50+, but found it was usually available in the tinted variety (which makes me look like I'm wearing make up!)

So I wondered if anyone can recommend an alternative please? It is to put on everyday, so before being in the office, and things like that, so has to be very matte and not noticeable.

Have any of you used this SunSense Daily Sunblock?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SunSense-Da...VKAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343080997&sr=8-1

Thanks all !

Last edited:

RanMan

Reaction score
Check out La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60, a matte finish SPF60 light fluid that I really like or something like Matte For Men, a SPF 25 which has shine control properties added, a bonus for a lot of guys. Both good, clean products that won't break you out.

nystyle86

Reaction score

Check out La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60, a matte finish SPF60 light fluid that I really like or something like Matte For Men, a SPF 25 which has shine control properties added, a bonus for a lot of guys. Both good, clean products that won't break you out.
La Roche sells the most expensive sunscreen on the market, but in this year's consumer report testing of sun blocks, La Roche's Mexoryl sunscreen scored poorly in performance. If I'm paying $20/ounce for sunscreen, it better out perform everything on the market, not score lowest. I guess La Roche thinks their customers will pay anything for posh brand labels.

"No one type of sunscreen protected the best and "price had nothing to do with performance" as La Roche-Posey's $20.59 per ounce Anthelios 40 with Mexoryl sunscreen scored worse than No-Ad lotion's $.59 per ounce product." http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...nsumer-reports-rates-top-sunscreens-for-2012/

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

La Roche sells the most expensive sunscreen on the market, but in this year's consumer report testing of sun blocks, La Roche's Mexoryl sunscreen scored poorly in performance. If I'm paying $20/ounce for sunscreen, it better out perform everything on the market, not score lowest. I guess La Roche thinks their customers will pay anything for posh brand labels.
"No one type of sunscreen protected the best and "price had nothing to do with performance" as La Roche-Posey's $20.59 per ounce Anthelios 40 with Mexoryl sunscreen scored worse than No-Ad lotion's $.59 per ounce product." http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...nsumer-reports-rates-top-sunscreens-for-2012/

Great information NY.

I certainly could not afford the La Roche sunscreen.

In the end I used Amazon reviews to buy this Neutrogena cream:

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Ul...+Ultra+Sheer+Dry+Touch+Sunblock+Spf+100++3+Oz

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having used this sunblock for a week, I must say it is very good. It is virtually invisible and very matte once you put it on, and yet has very high protection.

It's the most invisible sunblock I've used yet.

The only downside is that while it states it has extremely high UVA protection, it does not use the Star system of 1 - 5 stars. It would be reassuring to see it was also a 5 out of 5 star UVA protector.

RanMan

Reaction score
nystyle86: I'm sure you realize the product I mentioned does not contain Mexoryl. No?
Well I can't argue the price, but please, critique it for what it is. What's more, how about offering a superior option based on your experience? Consumer Reports? please ... There aren't a lot of matte options #1, and #2 a lot of products create breakouts, esp high on the forehead, at least for me. But hey I'm sure CR sets you straight...

TheDarkKnight: glad you found something that works for you.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

La Roche Posay and Avene have some great products. Jan Marini also.

Hi GQ, thanks for this. Can you post links to specific products please? I couldn't find any of the above labelled matte on Amazon.co.uk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads