• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Aintree Questions

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have decided that my next shoe purchase is going to be a black 2-3 eyelet derby. Before I pull the trigger on some C&J Aintrees, am i missing any other models that are of equal or lesser price while maintaining the quality. This is pretty much my max budget. I would search harder, but I want to have these for an event in 3 weeks.

From searching, it looks like the 337 last runs about 1 full size smaller UK than US. Am i right on this? I typically take an 8.5D US, so I would be around a 7.5E UK. I would go try them on, but I do not know where C&Js are readily available in Metro Detroit.

This shoe will split time between work and nights out. To the owners of this shoe; how does it go with denim. Does it look out of place?

Work is pretty much business casual, dress slacks and a shirts, sometimes a tie, rarely a suit. It really all depends, so i think these would go well with what I already have.

Opinions are welcome.

Thanks ahead of time.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have the RLPL Herend, which is the same as the Aintree. You're correct on sizing - you should take a 7.5E UK. Mine are beechnut/dark brown - I've happily worn them with jeans. Nice, versatile blucher.

rilian

Reaction score
One difference I noticed from reading the description of the RLPL Herend and the CJ Aintree is the sole. The aintree is an Oak Bark sole, while the Herend is a leather sole. I don't know anything about Oak Bark. Is this comparable to leather in durability?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I made the plunge and sent in my order to plal.

Those guys sure are quick to respond to emails.

Thanks for the advice baron.

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rilian
One difference I noticed from reading the description of the RLPL Herend and the CJ Aintree is the sole. The aintree is an Oak Bark sole, while the Herend is a leather sole. I don't know anything about Oak Bark. Is this comparable to leather in durability?
They're both leather soles. The difference lies in the tanning process. Oak-bark tanned soles are tanned through a very time consuming process, using natural vegetable agents, resulting in a very lightweight and hard-wearing sole. I believe them to be a bit more water resistant as well. (Edit, quoted wrong post)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads