• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Ties

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Since I only buy ties from the Executive line of Garanimals, all of my clothing coordination is done for me, in advance.

On the Garanimals website I was rather impressed initially that they had one of the little tykes wearing a blazer and ascot. Not being familiar with Garanimals (I had never heard of them before reading Manton's book, wherein he likens wearing a matching tie and pocket square to Garanimals for aduts.), I thought it was actual product they were offering until I figured out the lad was saying, "This is what a billionaire would wear." I dunno, I dress like that quite often, and I only have somewhat over $999 million to go before reaching that exalted status.

I have so many ties by now that one really has to call out to me before I will buy it (depending on price). I voted that I am an impulse buyer of ties, but I do try to some degree to calculate which jackets and shirts it might harmonize with.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
On the Garanimals website I was rather impressed initially that they had one of the little tykes wearing a blazer and ascot. Not being familiar with Garanimals (I had never heard of them before reading Manton's book, wherein he likens wearing a matching tie and pocket square to Garanimals for aduts.), I thought it was actual product they were offering until I figured out the lad was saying, "This is what a billionaire would wear." I dunno, I dress like that quite often, and I only have somewhat over $999 million to go before reaching that exalted status.

I have so many ties by now that one really has to call out to me before I will buy it (depending on price). I voted that I am an impulse buyer of ties, but I do try to some degree to calculate which jackets and shirts it might harmonize with.

I would think it less a sin to wear matching tie and hankie (most men dont know that you arent supposed to wear this) than matching ones redish brown suede yamaka to their shoes and sideburns (which i saw yesterday in midtown) or wearing those bandaid colored shoes with a dark suit.

Also wearing a pocket hankie that matches your shirt too closely is the same, looks like you cut a hole in your suit chest and someone tried to pull yuor shirt through it. Too many of the same colors that dont quite match can actually be worse. One must learn to compliment completely different colors to stay a step ahead.

In America, being unsophisticated has nothing to do with making money or having power. I know these arent necessarily important considerations for purposes of style but even dandies have to be practical at times.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Also wearing a pocket hankie that matches your shirt too closely is the same, looks like you cut a hole in your suit chest and someone tried to pull yuor shirt through it.

The Eric Glennie "Pocket Panel." Every stylish man will be wearing one soon.

It's patented, you know.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This to me is half the fun of the clothing hobby. I can't imagine waking up and thinking "I'm going to wear this sportcoat, so I have to wear that tie."

Agreed 100%

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
or wearing those bandaid colored shoes with a dark suit.

Didn't you already make this idiotic assertion and then back down when Matt called you out on it?

Also wearing a pocket hankie that matches your shirt too closely is the same, looks like you cut a hole in your suit chest and someone tried to pull yuor shirt through it.
Right, because a white linen hankie and a white shirt is one of the great style faux pas.
rolleyes.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More often than not, I buy ties that I like and they work well with my clothing. I tend to like and buy clothing and ties that are in the same color schemes which makes it easy to pair ties with existing items.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think it less a sin to wear matching tie and hankie (most men dont know that you arent supposed to wear this) than matching ones redish brown suede yamaka to their shoes and sideburns (which i saw yesterday in midtown) or wearing those bandaid colored shoes with a dark suit.

What exactly is a "bandaid" colored shoe? As far as I know bandaids (Isn't this a trademark, and shouldn't it be capitalized?) come in two colors--white (which can be elegant in a shoe, although nothing to be paired with a dark suit) or a sort of pinkish-tan "flesh" color. I have never seen shoes in the latter color. I believe shoes that were undyed would have a color similar to this, but as they darked with use and oils they would become a rich golden tan that would be quite attractive.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What exactly is a "bandaid" colored shoe?

A light colored shoe worn by people he doesn't like. Light colored shoes worn by people he does like have fancier names.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly is a "bandaid" colored shoe? As far as I know bandaids (Isn't this a trademark, and shouldn't it be capitalized?) come in two colors--white (which can be elegant in a shoe, although nothing to be paired with a dark suit) or a sort of pinkish-tan "flesh" color. I have never seen shoes in the latter color. I believe shoes that were undyed would have a color similar to this, but as they darked with use and oils they would become a rich golden tan that would be quite attractive.

http://styleforum.net/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=72

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads