• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buying my first suit for a wedding

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarllraC
* something cheap (since it is my first suit, I want something inexpensive)
?

I've never understood this about First Suit Buyers...why do you want something cheap? Wouldn't you want to spend at least a moderate amount of money for something that is going to be somewhat of an investment? I'm assuming if it is your first suit you don't require much use of them; but, I still think that you should at least get a decent suit.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I've never understood this about First Suit Buyers...why do you want something cheap? Wouldn't you want to spend at least a moderate amount of money for something that is going to be somewhat of an investment? I'm assuming if it is your first suit you don't require much use of them; but, I still think that you should at least get a decent suit.

Different people have different priorities. I could purchase a more expensive car than the one I own, but it isn't that important to me.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Different people have different priorities. I could purchase a more expensive car than the one I own, but it isn't that important to me.

I saw, in Fargo (the movie), many strange customs and, ways of speech.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thick as thieves is inexpensive?

Originally Posted by TheHoff
Well, consider the list going from cheap to not-so. 'Inexpensive' has different meanings across a global website as well.

Originally Posted by xchen
I would consider Thick as Thieves not only inexpensive, but one of the best values you can get for your money.

I take back what I said. For some reason, I was under the impression that they were much more expensive than they really are. If that were my style, I'd go for them too.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaclava krishna
I saw, in Fargo (the movie), many strange customs and, ways of speech.

Really? That's odd...your English seems so bad that you shouldn't be able to tell the difference*. And yet you can. How inexplicable.

*I'm qualified to know: I have an advanced degree in linguistics and teach English to non-native speakers, many of whom are from Eastern Europe.

cbsteven

Reaction score
I was in exactly this same situation about two months ago. At first I was going to buy a tux for my sister's wedding, but decided to put my money into something that would get some more wear. I eventually got a 1 button black suit from Thick as Thieves.
I was very happy overall, and Get Smart was very helpful. It is a bit tricky getting the measurements correct. I still need to make some modifications to the pants.
As far as the anti-black-suit sentiment.. if you're a young and somewhat fashion forward guy, you can definitely make a black suit work for you, especially if you see the suit being used more for the nightlife, as I do.
cullen_suit_outside_small.jpg

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few reasons off the top of my head:
  • Well we often give advice that people shouldn't try to build a whole wardrobe at once because their knowledge will increase and their tastes might change. So it makes sense not to blow a lot on the first suit.
  • Particularly young guys might still fill out a bit. (Or alternately lose weight if there are upcoming lifestyle changes.)
  • Since there's often a strong pull to get something fashionable, you want to have enough $ left over to buy that second suit you'll need for interviews.
  • Cost discounting is particularly strong when you're young: a couple hundred $ seems like a lot and you can have fun with it.
I would say that your aim for your first suit should be one that will be your least favourite but still get regularly worn in 5 years.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? That's odd...your English seems so bad that you shouldn't be able to tell the difference*. And yet you can. How inexplicable. *I'm qualified to know: I have an advanced degree in linguistics and teach English to non-native speakers, many of whom are from Eastern Europe.
Do you also, have an advance degree in, online bespoke and, crafts ?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So you don't want to look back in two years and think about how much you effed up over one small detail that, at the time, seemed unimportant but now really bugs you.

People can't go out and splurge 350$ on exclusive Japanese denim for their first premium denim purchase, they inch their way up (APC, Nudies, etc).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene