• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying fabric in Singapore?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there places to get suiting and shirting fabric cheap in Singapore, things you can take to a cheaper local tailor?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hwa Seng have some nice, basic cloths (eg 80's Scabal, Halstead) for reasonable prices. As in you could probably get a suiting length for USD 250 or less. $50 or so for an Acorn 100's (not very attractive with Jantzen as an option). There are probably some lesser known, lower priced places.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Hwa Seng have some nice, basic cloths (eg 80's Scabal, Halstead) for reasonable prices. As in you could probably get a suiting length for USD 250 or less. $50 or so for an Acorn 100's (not very attractive with Jantzen as an option). There are probably some lesser known, lower priced places.
yeah, ask Mr Koh to see his discount stuff and end runs etc, he has those discounted.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoopee and m@t, this is interesting. Hwa Seng is where I got those MOP buttons I posted about a while ago, and I've looked over their shirting cottons and suiting wools, with the intention of possibly purchasing some. It sounds as though you guys have some perspective on these fabrics that I lack. So I have a couple of questions, if I may slightly take this off track.

First, are the prices for the cottons in the Gianfranco Fila line (which are sourced from a bunch of different mills) and the Enrico Ferrante line (higher quality and sourced from top mills) reasonable? Also, Whoopee, you mention the Acorn line--which includes some cottons of higher yarn count that 100. How would you rate the quality and the prices? As for wools, I'm such a novice that I have little idea of the quality of the various lines. I know they have Hield, Dormeuil, and a couple of others available in winter-weight wools. What's your take on the quality and prices?

Josepidal, hope I haven't taken this too far off track, and the answers will help answer your questions too.
wink.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't really looked at the Fila and Ferrante shirtings as I'm not interested in buying them from a fabric store. Acorn are a well-known maker. Some of their fabrics are quite nice and others aren't. I believe it is because they are sourced from a couple different mills. English shirtmakers use a lot of Acorn, especially at the 100/2 level. Good staple shirting. For higher numbers, there are a couple better options. Prices are reasonable in that they carry the typical fabric store markup. Unless your local shirtmaker is really devoid of anything decent (which I believe is the case for josepidal), I'm not sure why you would order Acorn cloth from halfway around the world.

The Dormeuil gabardine is very nice. The Scabal and Wain Shiell suitings are solid stuff, too, and pretty well priced. The winter weight options are at best, middling. Order from Holland & Sherry (my fav) or some other top merchant that does mail order, like Smith reportedlyt does.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoopee, thanks for invaluable advice. Can you give me the necessary contact information to order directly from both Holland & Sherry and Smith? BTW, you found the Dormeuil flannels only mediocre? (This may well be the case; just wondering.) Cheers.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
www.hollandandsherry.com - I believe the link is "retail"

I've never ordered directly from Smith. Some London Loungers have and have posted there about them.

The Dormeuil flannel they have is pretty nice, certainly not mediocre. Worsted, not woolen though, and not as beefy as I like.

My View2

Reaction score
Besides Hwa Seng, there is a fabric seller called Eurocloth in The Concourse, beach road. Google and you will find the contacts details. I had bought some shirting fabrics before. Prices were the same as Hwa Seng (in that fabrics of the same grade are sold for about the same unit price). I personally feel that the offerings at Eurocloth were a little more exciting....

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hotel I'm staying at is pretty close to there. I'll check it out sometime.

Hey My View2, check your PM inbox.

msp

Reaction score
You guys might want to go to KEVIN SEAH at red dot traffic building. He is the agent for many brands of cloths like Dugale & Bros, John G hardy, Grandi and Rubenilli and Harrisons. Very nice and helpful bloke... I've ordered some W Bill irish linens too. I think his range of cloths is possibly the best though everything got to be ordered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads