• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying an Expensive Watch from Filene's Basement

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a really nice watch (a Cartier for $4000) from FB. Anyone have any experience with FB watches? I was curious if they were 'seconds', etc. or if there was anything I should know in advance? I'm getting a pretty big discount (35%) so the price is finally within reach for me.

And yes, I know watches aren't clothing but I figure they fall under the category of 'accessory'. Thanks!

cheez80

Reaction score
I used to be a salesperson in a fine watch and jewelry store. A few words of advice: for the discount you're getting, it would probably be best to buy the watch at an authorized dealer. If you're good with haggling, I'm sure you can find a dealer willing to give you that discount. A watch that has been transshipped has no manufacturer warranty. The watch may be an overseas model, may have its serial number filed off, etc., etc., and the price isn't so good as to be worth the hassle.

Just my thoughts.

Charles

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
I'm considering buying a really nice watch (a Cartier for $4000) from FB. Anyone have any experience with FB watches? I was curious if they were 'seconds', etc. or if there was anything I should know in advance? I'm getting a pretty big discount (35%) so the price is finally within reach for me.

And yes, I know watches aren't clothing but I figure they fall under the category of 'accessory'. Thanks!

Ask yourself why you are buying this watch. Do you like watches? Have you done your homework? Do you just want to spend alot of money? Why Cartier? Do you like their history? I also agree with cheez. With that discount, get it from an authorized dealer.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Overstock.com has a HUGE selection of watches, but I'm not sure if they are authorized. Kenmar Watch, Watchery and Watchbuys seem like reputable dealers but I've dealt with none of them.

Are you a member of timezone.com? Those guys LOVE to talk watches and maybe someone would give you good advice. Besides what you've been told here, of course!

I'd browse around and keep an open mind about brands. I've learned that not all expensive watches are worth the money. The quality of the movement (which you can't see) is more important than the "beauty" of the watch.

Some watches like Seiko, while not "rare" or "status symbols" offer lots for the money!

Good luck,
Jerry

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason I was so excited is that I've never seen a Cartier for more than 20% off (and very rarely even close to that much). As for the warranty, if I don't get one does that mean Cartier (or an authorized dealer) will charge me to repair the watch or they simply won't repair it at all?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jomashop carries Cartier, with discounts around the percentage that you've mentioned 20-35% depending on model. http://www.jomashop.com/cartanfran.html For those unfamiliar with Joma, they are grey market (but 100% authentic, usually with serial #s intact) watches and cover them with their own warranties. I would, however, consider spending money on something other than Cartier, but that's my opinion.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard2Fit - I would advise used. Almost all mine are used, and it's a very popular market, even for people with deep pockets. It's not limited to cheapies. If you insist on buying new, buy authorized, PLEASE. As for your waranty question, both may be true depending on the mfg. If it's gray with serials rubbed off, it's likely they won't touch it.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
If it's gray with serials rubbed off, it's likely they won't touch it.
That what I've heard as well. Otherwise makers generally treat gray market watches as simply out of warranty. Some gray market dealers, such as Jomashop, offer their own warranties, with service performed by in-house watchmakers.

I've purchased several watches from Proworth who I highly recommend. Their auction (as opposed to Buy It Now) prices reflect discounts of 50-70% off MSRP.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
That what I've heard as well. Otherwise makers generally treat gray market watches as simply out of warranty. Some gray market dealers, such as Jomashop, offer their own warranties, with service performed by in-house watchmakers.

I've purchased several watches from Proworth who I highly recommend. Their auction (as opposed to Buy It Now) prices reflect discounts of 50-70% off MSRP.

Me too

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If its a popular Cartier model, don't expect to get 35% from an authorized dealer, it won't happen. Cartier has decreased their concession percentage to their authorized dealers. 25% is about as good as you are going to do, unless the retailer just wants to move the watch. don't be afraid of Overstock.com, their warranty is actually better than the manufacturers and they have been around for at least 10 years. Also, most "real" grey market dealers no longer file the serial numbers off the watches. Stay away from anyone selling you a watch with no serial number. There is no reason to buy it and there is a good chance it is stolen. Lastly, most entry level watches have very inexpensive and basic movements. Assuming your $4,000 Cartier is automatic, it has a basic ETA auto movement which can be serviced by any competent watchmaker, doesn't need to be Cartier. So weigh all those factors when you make a decision.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are so many variables so please take everyone's advice into consideration. To add to edmorel's comments, you have to decide if you will keep this watch forever. Personally, if you were to sell it and I found out that a) it was gray market and/or b) you had Dick's Jewelry in the mall service your watch, meaning no Cartier workorder or certificate of work, I'd pass. If you are just buying it for yourself to keep, and that's a route you want to go, fine.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never experienced watch houses refusing to repair or service grey market watches. I've heard that may be true for Rolex but, in my experience, these watches are either treated as out-of-warranty (if warranty card is not stamped by an authorized dealer) or as a regular watch under warranty (many grey market dealers will have the warranty card stamped by an AD if you ask/insist- after all, these watches do come from the AD network...). I've even had a watch repaired under warranty with an unstamped card so the watch houses are not as tough as one may think (they do want you to stay a long-term buyer after all...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads