• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button fly to zipper fly conversion?

windrunner

Reaction score
Can this be done? I have a few Attolini button fly pants that I'd like to convert to zipper

Albern

Reaction score
I'm not really sure how a clean and straight conversion from button to zipper fly could even work, unless you have extra fabric available; but more importantly, why would you when button fly is the preferred choice around here and it will probably cost quite a bit to have a conversion done.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Why bother? Button fly is great. It's how I get all my MTM.

doctorj!

Reaction score
Button fly may be more popular, but I also prefer a zipper. Its a lot quicker when you gotta go!

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Button fly is popular? I guess we don't talk about flys all that much here. I have one pair of button fly trousers and I find them obnoxious to take on and off.

calvinloke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Button fly is popular? I guess we don't talk about flys all that much here. I have one pair of button fly trousers and I find them obnoxious to take on and off.

+1

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah can someone explain the love for button fly pants? Also, non-slash pockets (ie frogmouth)? They suck so much in terms of functionality.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
Yeah can someone explain the love for button fly pants? Also, non-slash pockets (ie frogmouth)? They suck so much in terms of functionality.

I guess people like them because they imply more hand-work for the tailor. Just like working cuff buttons. (I guess the fly buttons are working ones)

I once had a suit made by a tailor who said that button fly was the obvious choice. My current tailor says that zipper fly is the best choice, but I think that is because he is lazy.

calvinloke

Reaction score

Zippers have the possibility to fail where else with buttons you might loose a button or two however your fly will still be closed by the other buttons.

Oligarch

Reaction score

Personally, zips on suits strike me as a bit cheap, and if something goes wrong with them, they're harder to fix than a button fly. Strikes me a bit odd to pick really nice fabric, horn buttons, etc and then use a $0.50 zip on the fly...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it can - quite successfully

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oligarch
Personally, zips on suits strike me as a bit cheap, and if something goes wrong with them, they're harder to fix than a button fly. Strikes me a bit odd to pick really nice fabric, horn buttons, etc and then use a $0.50 zip on the fly...

This is a very interesting idea. I never thought about it like that. Zippers, being metal and mechanical, would seem like a crass choice for a proper suit. However, the zippers on my better suits are obviously of better quality than on jeans and cheaper suits. The teeth and fine and the "pull" is unique and not a generic shaped piece.

Perhaps the button fly will grow on me.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The general justification I've seen for button fly is that it lays better, and is less likely to bunch up unattractively when seated. There's an element of tradition, too, of course, and the appeal of handwork, if you find romance in such things.

I can't get that worked up about it either way. Who's going to notice, and why should I care if it cost more to install one rather than the other? To me, it all comes down to personal preference.

I find novelty in a button fly, but a zipper is more efficient.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads