• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button fly to zipper fly conversion?

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so i bought a pair of jeans with a zipper fly (my only pair w/ zippers) and the zipper broke >< (no joke)

any way to convert zipper fly to button fly?

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
so i bought a pair of jeans with a zipper fly (my only pair w/ zippers) and the zipper broke >< (no joke)

any way to convert zipper fly to button fly?

While I've never experienced that, my sense is that it would be somewhat difficult and costly to do based on the need for more fabric on the outer side where the button holes are. Matching fabric is something you'll have to consider as well. Wouldn't it just be easier to just buy an new zipper strip and have it put in by your tailor?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yes you can have a zip per fly changed to button. but you need the extra cloth.
did you have the cut off cloth saved when the length was done?

and yes a button fly can be changed to a zipper.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
yes you can have a zip per fly changed to button. but you need the extra cloth.
did you have the cut off cloth saved when the length was done?

and yes a button fly can be changed to a zipper.

How about changing a zipper fly into a button fly, but instead of buttons, little buckles in each spot like those used on monk strap shoes or whnay's belt?

That would be a very secure fly. I don't think that it's been done, and if not, I would be proud to name it after you: The Pepper Fly.

Let me know.

- B

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke
Zippers have the possibility to fail where else with buttons you might loose a button or two however your fly will still be closed by the other buttons.

Unles you're a little too quick with it and get yourself in a Something about Marry situation with the zipper, I don't think there's fear of zipper fail. I don't think I've ever owned a pair of pants where the zipper stopped working. I have a BBBF suit with button fly and it was almost a deal breaker for me, not a fan, if the conversion could be done fairly easily, I'd be more than happy to do it.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
definitely prefer zipper fly, button fly annoy the crap out of me all the time. For the record my zipper have never break, even on the cheap ones, maybe I am just more careful, who knows.

calvinloke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modern_leifeng
Unles you're a little too quick with it and get yourself in a Something about Marry situation with the zipper, I don't think there's fear of zipper fail. I don't think I've ever owned a pair of pants where the zipper stopped working. I have a BBBF suit with button fly and it was almost a deal breaker for me, not a fan, if the conversion could be done fairly easily, I'd be more than happy to do it.

Didn't happen to me either. My YKK zippers are strong.
laugh.gif

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
How about changing a zipper fly into a button fly, but instead of buttons, little buckles in each spot like those used on monk strap shoes or whnay's belt?

That would be a very secure fly. I don't think that it's been done, and if not, I would be proud to name it after you: The Pepper Fly.

Let me know.

- B

New avenues for sprezzatura?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
Maybe I've missed something, but: The only argument against button fly is that it takes too long to button?
eh.gif

Do you want to use the elevator or take the stairs?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The general justification I've seen for button fly is that it lays better, and is less likely to bunch up unattractively when seated. There's an element of tradition, too, of course, and the appeal of handwork, if you find romance in such things.

I can't get that worked up about it either way. Who's going to notice, and why should I care if it cost more to install one rather than the other? To me, it all comes down to personal preference.

I find novelty in a button fly, but a zipper is more efficient.

I enjoy that it looks like i'm constantly sporting a wood while seated. Now i know my zipper is to thank for this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics