• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button Boots

Cailet

Reaction score
Slightly odd question I suppose but I'm looking around to find a pair of button boots. I like the old-school look of them and I do a fair amount of dressing up (whether Styleforum-approved suit-and-tie or more outlandish fancy dress) where they'd come in handy. Plus who doesn't like to stand out from the crowd a little?

The downside is of course, cost. My budget runs to around £400 so while I'm happy to spend for quality I can't go for bespoke or MTO options unless Updandy or someone else in that price range decided to add buttons to their range.

The other limiting factor is width, my feet are an F/G fitting so a lot of shoemakers' narrow, continental style just doesn't work on me. As it is, some of my narrower shoes run the risk of looking like clown shoes and tripping me on the stairs.

I've seen the JFitzpatrick ones and I hope to try them on if his store is still open when I can get down to London later in the year but even assuming they fit I'd kinda like to find a pair of plain leather ones rather than the two-tones he does (awesome as they are).

I've also seen Septieme Largeur's offering, the Arsene which looks great but again I worry about width issues and they're now only in the Patina range and I'd really rather get a pair of solid black calf boots that I can maintain easily. Also I'd need to make a trip to Paris to even try them on which, romantic as it sounds it a bit of a trek to try a single pair of shoes.

Other than that, google has come up pretty blank, outside a couple of repro designs that customer reviews all say are too narrow and so I turn to you, Styleforum for inspiration. Even if no-one can help with my query it'd be great to see how any of you are wearing the style and provide some inspiration.

cypi2

Reaction score
Slightly odd question I suppose but I'm looking around to find a pair of button boots. I like the old-school look of them and I do a fair amount of dressing up (whether Styleforum-approved suit-and-tie or more outlandish fancy dress) where they'd come in handy. Plus who doesn't like to stand out from the crowd a little?

The downside is of course, cost. My budget runs to around £400 so while I'm happy to spend for quality I can't go for bespoke or MTO options unless Updandy or someone else in that price range decided to add buttons to their range.

The other limiting factor is width, my feet are an F/G fitting so a lot of shoemakers' narrow, continental style just doesn't work on me. As it is, some of my narrower shoes run the risk of looking like clown shoes and tripping me on the stairs.

I've seen the JFitzpatrick ones and I hope to try them on if his store is still open when I can get down to London later in the year but even assuming they fit I'd kinda like to find a pair of plain leather ones rather than the two-tones he does (awesome as they are).

I've also seen Septieme Largeur's offering, the Arsene which looks great but again I worry about width issues and they're now only in the Patina range and I'd really rather get a pair of solid black calf boots that I can maintain easily. Also I'd need to make a trip to Paris to even try them on which, romantic as it sounds it a bit of a trek to try a single pair of shoes.

Other than that, google has come up pretty blank, outside a couple of repro designs that customer reviews all say are too narrow and so I turn to you, Styleforum for inspiration. Even if no-one can help with my query it'd be great to see how any of you are wearing the style and provide some inspiration.

Given your requirements, JFitzpatrick’s button boots are a good choice: If you want to have an all-leather/single-tone button boot, JFitzpatrick will certainly make it for you through their MTO program (You could check JFitzpatrick’s IG on which a few examples of such boots are shown I believe). JFitzpatrick's MTO program could work well given your budget constraints (slightly over but comparatively not by that much).

Other than JFitzpatrick, Enzo Bonafé’s button boots might be an option. Skoaktiebolaget would be a good retailer to contact for Enzo Bonafé’s button boots.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Balmoral boots, button boots, buttoned balmoral boots?
Yes, EB may be the best option given budget or see if Vass have a model.

Regards

Last edited:

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if Justin's wide last will be wide enough.

I would be inclined to go with Enzo Bonafe through Solegarb. He will help you get the proper fitting for your foot. Although you will still be guessing (unless your in CA).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads