• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a Shoe Care Kit

RL Beasley

Reaction score
Yesterday I had the good fortune to stumble upon some great deals. I purchased three pairs of nice shoes. Allen Edmonds Strand in walnut, To Boot New York Capote's in black and a pair of Magnanni cap toes in burgandy. My issue is that I don't have the appropriate shoe care kit, complete with all of the colors I need to properly manicure these shoes, plus many more in my collection. Can anyone direct me to advice on how to build shoe care essentials? I need to be able to treat a variety of colors and textures. What advice do you have? Do I really need a different dauber and brush for every single color polish to prevent cross contamination? Do you guys really have 10 horsehair brushes?

The question is, if you were starting a shoe care kit today from scratch, what are the 10 items that you must have? And, how many of each?

The help is much appreciated.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
You should take a few moments to look through this thread...
http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc/0_30

As far as starting out, I would recommend the following...
- Shoe trees for each pair of shoes
- A horsehair brush for brushing off dirty shoes
- Three horsehair brushes (one for the range of browns, one for black, and one for the red/burgundy range)
- Polish/cream in as close of a color as you can find to each of those shoes
- A good polishing shammy/cloth or some very soft old t-shirts cut into pretty large cloths

Hopefully, that information will help you enjoy your shoes for years to come.

RL Beasley

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reply and the link. This answers one of the big questions that I had, which regarded the need for a different horsehair brush for every polish color.

How would it work if I was in the habit of using only neutral polish? Is this advised or frowned upon? Also, I am assuming that you should have a chamois for every color as well. Is this an accurate assumption, and what is the best way to launder/clean a used chamois? By hand, I'm sure, but what are the recommended products to give it new life?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See this thread too where someone wanted an entry level kit for $50 or so:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/339331/good-entry-level-shine-kit/0_100#post_6192793

Here's what I posted, although you'll probably want to add some burgundy polish too:

Since the cheapest decent valet box is $50, just plan on keeping your keeping your stuff in a shoebox for now.
http://www.woodlore.com/mm5/merchan...dar-Valet&Category_Code=Shoe-Care-Accessories

You could get an inexpensive travel kit like these:
http://www.target.com/p/kiwi-travel-kit/-/A-13127392#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF579_1_40000000001_-1

I would get just a few decent supplies from AE and then build up as you need them. Here's sort of a bare minimum I'd personally go with, but you could get less if you won't need 'em:
Horsehair shine brush, 2 @ $7 = $14
Conditioner/Cleaner, $5
Horsehair dauber, 2 @ $3 = $6
Polish, brown & black, 2 @ $9 = $18
Wax polish, brown & black, 2 @ $4.50 = $9
Cotton flannel polishing cloth, 3 @ $2 = $6

That's a pretty complete starter set for $58 and it's one you can easily build on as needed:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...000000001_-1_1_image_0_N_216_216__subcategory

Last edited:

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reply and the link. This answers one of the big questions that I had, which regarded the need for a different horsehair brush for every polish color.

How would it work if I was in the habit of using only neutral polish? Is this advised or frowned upon? Also, I am assuming that you should have a chamois for every color as well. Is this an accurate assumption, and what is the best way to launder/clean a used chamois? By hand, I'm sure, but what are the recommended products to give it new life?

You don't need a different brush for ever single color, but you do need different brushes for each range of colors, and I think those three cover it.

As far as using neutral polish, it's ok, but I prefer to use a cream/wax in the right color. Some people have complained about neutral wax leaving a milky residue as well.

You don't necessarily need more than one chamois since you can use sections of it to shine up different colors.

As far as giving the product new life, conditioners and lotions (like Saphir Renovateur) will really bring it back.

RL Beasley

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the generous reply. I have many of these items, but I am going to offset my needs using the list you've provided. This is exactly what I thought I needed, and you confirmed it. Spot on.

RL Beasley

Reaction score
TheSizzle- Your comment on needing a different brush for each 'range of color' was exactly what cleared up the concept for me. Cheers.

Jakezero

Reaction score
I'm going to offer my personal opinion here, and that is to skip the horsehair daubers. I own several of them, but I've started using cotton rounds instead. I find them much easier to work with, see this post by forum member glenjay for instructions on how to use them.

JCPhoto

Reaction score
Sizzle made a good point about the one horsehair brush just for brushing off dirt. In this way the inevitable dust, dirt, grime, and salt doesn't make its way back onto the shoe during the shining process.

One other thing I'll note is that these suggestions are all based on standard calf leathers because it sounds like all three pairs you bought are that type of leather. For shell and grained leather I will usually only use Saphire Renovateur(some use Venetian cream instead), if you haven't done so you should definitely read that post Sizzle linked.

ddsg

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't get the Allen Edmonds travel shoe shine kit. The brush is much denser and stiffer than their regular shine brush (I use it as my dirt brush now) and the polishing cloths that are included will transfer color to the shoe if you try to use them for spit shining.

Edit: they seem to have changed the kit to include much higher quality products with it. You might still see the old ones being cleared out at various stores like Century21 or Nordstrom. Steer clear of those.

Last edited:

RL Beasley

Reaction score
ddsg- I'm glad to heed your advice. Could you offer some suggestions by way of other specific products you believe to be superior? I'd like to hear your thoughts on brushes, conditioners and polishes.

RL Beasley

Reaction score
Jakezero- I just got round to glancing at the link you posted. That is the best I have seen on SF so far. This is exactly the help I was looking for. I suppose I should also be thanking Glenjay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads