1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buday Shoes - Hungarian Shoemaker

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ShoesShoesShoes, Feb 8, 2013.

1. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Cross posted from massdrop.

What's the equivalent size to Vass 43.5 F last?

2. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

is it possible to get this without the metal toe taps? (the massdrop oxfords)
    I'm not on massdrop so can't ask there yet

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I was annoyed at first when I saw the Massdrop offer, less than 24 hours after paying Ed "full price" for my Budapesters.

Then I did the sums. $450 for the Massrop shoes is for calf. Add $300 for cordovan, and $30 for shipment to Australia, and it's only slightly less expensive than the Budapesters. And I already have a pair of quarter-brogues in shell (from Camina), and these Budapesters are Goyser welted, and are just so fuck-off awesomeballs.

So - no regrets.

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Right. No worries. You got the specific shoe you wanted. Which is the great thing about Buday MTO. For me this mass drop shoe is nice, and the price is very good, but I don't need that shoe, So I'll wait to order one that I do.

And if 6 pairs gets preferred pricing for a given makeup and there's a choice of leather, what about an SF Buday Appreciation Thread GMTO.

Of course, I'm sure there's something about Mass Drop that makes the pricing there logical while it wouldn't be here. For instance seems like Ed's getting a lot of built in marketing out of the deal, which must be great. Selling to the choir here may not create the same incentive for a discount. ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  5. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

I like how you think, Mr C!

6. FrankCowperwood

Well, it is a nice idea, but I am thinking more and more that the Mass Drop thing is a special circumstance. The point with something like that is clearly to get your product out there. Ed's put together a really nice basic shoe for it, and that combine with the marketing aspects of the platform are certainly driving the price.

Besides, can you imagine getting everyone to agree on the basic details of a makeup? Ha ha. Cue the gif of swarming cats.

I'm going to be a broken record here and repeat that the standard direct-from-Panata pricing for shoes at the quality of Buday, made exactly to the buyers spec, with taps and shoes trees and free domestic shipping remains one of the great deals in shoes.

And we get the satisfaction of a chuckle every time the words "shell shortage" are are plaintively wailed over in the Alden thread. Sorry Alden thread guys... :)

2 people like this.
  7. OzzyJones

Yeah, I suppose it would be similar to the shitstorm of trying to get a Vass Gmto off the ground. Too many options, with everyone wanting something different.
    I'd agree, for US buyers Ed's tough to beat at regular pricing and on sale he pretty much can't be beat at all

8. FrankCowperwood

And really, it's one of those moments when we start to obsess over the price, and I know we all like to get a deal, but really these are nice shoes that are worth a good price, and we all probably have way more pairs than we need (ahem, speaking for myself at a least), so saving a few bucks ought never to be the reason to pick up a pair. It's because well, I NEED THOSE SHOES!

Speaking of, I'm thinking over the idea of a plain black derby, probably shell. Sort of Japanese streatwearish, like a really really nice pair of Docs maybe. If I think the Frakno would be a little formal for it. Would try the Tokay I think, which seems similar to Vass New Peter. Or this might be the time to get a Tisza last pair.

The desired look on these is ultimately beat up and worn in, so I'm not sure how Buday would work for that.

I'm thinking out loud here, because it is the spot where I could get custom shell shoes that I know would fit.

I'll have to email Ed and see that he thinks.

9. OzzyJones

Yeah, Tokaj, Tisza or maybe even BP28 on a flat welt

1 person likes this.
  10. patliean1

patliean1 Well-Known Member

Any pros and cons when compared to Vass? Or is it apples to oranges?

11. OzzyJones

I find them at least on a par for construction and materials. If you like the lasts there isn't a down side really

2 people like this.
  12. FrankCowperwood

I'm sure folks have opinions about this, but I think the main thing is whether you want one of those Vass Italian lasts. They kind of have a life of their own in terms of style and bragging rights. Otherwise, my humble opinion is that we are comparing apples to apples, and that you can get a really nice shoe from Buday and from Vass.

1 person likes this.
  13. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Well-Known Member

More photos and less talk[​IMG]please

1 person likes this.
  14. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Member

count me in.

I bet we get more than 6

15. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

I need to be able to get suede. Put suede on the GMTO option list and I'm in. I love me some Buday suede.

16. FrankCowperwood

Word is that minimum for any kind of group order outside of Mass Drop is higher than what's offered there.

Just FYI.

Not sure GMTO is as feasible as I was making it out to be.

I'll let Ed set any expectations here rather than speculating myself. Don't wan to cause him any trouble, with a feisty band of Buday aficionados.

Of course if we did put together a big order, then we'd have a lot more shoes to take photos of for Jazzmenco! ;)

17. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

patliean1, same true, artisanal make, same European calfskins and oak bark thingies, different lasts and designs. You should come up with an excuse for a trip to Hungary and compare them all.

1 person likes this.
  18. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    problem with Buday is, when you wear them you want to get more!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. OzzyJones

20. FrankCowperwood