• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BTW: This is what a Phineas Cole suit looks like on a real person

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuffs are a personal preference. While there are positive attributes to cuffs, the suit will not "look better" on WOE if the pants were cuffed. As everyone has said, it would look better if they were an inch longer. That said, I would have stuck 2inch bad-boy cuffs on them. Werd.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Looking good. Pants demand cuffs though.

Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
Yeah? any particular reason? I'm open to the idea.

IMO the the narrower the leg opening the better pants look with a cuff. The cuff adds some visual weight to the pant hem to compensate for the slimness of the leg. My pants with 8.75" - 9" leg openings look best without cuffs. At 8.5" I think you could go either way. Once you get down to a leg opening of 8.25" or less I think pants look better with cuffs.

I have a cuffed pair with a 9" leg opening. The wider leg opening the cuffs are just too much... either going to have them slimmed or the cuff removed. I also have a pair with an 8" leg opening and no cuffs that never get worn because the leg looks too slim without the cuffs.

Regarding you suit, woeisme, I'm a fan but have to agree with other posters regarding the pant's length. The leg opening looks to be not too narrow nor too wide so I think you could go either way.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Looking good. Pants demand cuffs though.
I am so confused. I thought the StyleForum look/advice was always no cuffs. How does a person know when to choose which, when wearing a suit?

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great. I scoured their site for the pinstripe DB that they have as their picture on their site to no avail : (

What would you say the fit is like (i.e. are you a 38R and you got 38R and it's rather slim?...i only ask because i'm about a 36-38R depending on the brand...)

Thanks!

Geoff

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Looks great. I scoured their site for the pinstripe DB that they have as their picture on their site to no avail : (

What would you say the fit is like (i.e. are you a 38R and you got 38R and it's rather slim?...i only ask because i'm about a 36-38R depending on the brand...)

Thanks!

Geoff

I'm a 38S, and the 38R was a perfect slim fit on me off the rack. I had them add a touch of waist suppression. The pants come naturally tapered. Someone asked me why I didn't just go bespoke for that kind of money, but honestly, there isn't really anything that I would change given the option, so it was well worth it to me.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I'll keep all this in mind on my next tailor visit (which happens to be...er, tomorrow. to pick up a different suit
devil.gif
).

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm obviously in the minority here but I don't think that's a particularly well-fitting garment. I think this is one of those cases where the waist is slim and nipped and that makes a lot of people tilt towards a positive review. I think your suits from the MTM outfit you used were far better.

Fantastic fabric though. And I like how you pull it all together - very Phat Guido.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads