Brown suede brogues

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I was all set to pull the trigger on this pair of brown suede brogues, but made the mistake of trying them on while wearing a charcoal suit. Â It looked completely . . . wrong. Â Do any of you wear these shoes with dark suits, or should they be limited to light suits and sportscoats/slacks combos?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I would not hesitate to wear those shoes with a charcoal suit. I wear my suede shoes with dark suits all the time.

I would not wear captoes with odd jackets, however. To me, they are strictly "suit shoes."

3. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

Before joining this forum I wouldn't have considered the brown suede shoe with any form of gray. However, recently I saw Matt Lauer wearing brown suede monks with his gray pinstripes and also saw someone in person wearing a similar outfit, but with brown suede wingtips. I'll have to say, it looked great.

4. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

I think the shoes would look fine with a charcoal suit. I disagree with Manton and would wear them with an odd jacket also. I think captoes with a medallion pattern on the toe make the shoe just casual enough to be OK with an odd jacket. Nice shoes.

5. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Flusser writes about the ability to dress the navy blazer up or down including french cuffs. Because I wear blazers all the time and have french-cuffed shirts that would be otherwise unused, I naturally agree with him (authority is where you find it).

Right now I'm wearing a double-breasted navy blazer, a french-cuffed and spread-collar end-on-end shirt, gray flannels, and black medallion captoes. Hence I for one would wear these brown suede captoes with a more formal blazer outfit, but certainly not with a casual sportjacket (a houndstooth or glen plaid) or even a button-down shirt.  Is there a real difference in formality between, say, a gray flannel suit and a dressed-up blazer?

6. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Absolutely there's a difference. As long as we're discussing authority, Flusser (I believe) and Roetzel (definitely) call the blazer a purely casual, weekend look. I love a blazer with jeans, but would be more likely to wear the suede cap-toes with the gray flannel suit.

Tom

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I wouldn't think the blazer is strictly a casual weekend look at all. While more informal than (most) suits, the blazer as worn by STYLESTUDENT today would be considered almost as formal as a suit. And since we're throwing around authorities, I believer I am in agreement (or vice versa [​IMG] ) with Bruce Boyer in Elegance. I would--and do--wear captoes with blazers especially if there are medallions/brogueing involved (quarter or half brogues) or, perhaps, bluchers.

8. Roy

Roy Senior member

I would never wear brogues under a suit.

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

While understanding their 'country' roots, I would think that the full brogue (aka, wingtip) in black or cordovan is the quintessential American business shoe. These cordovan Aldens from Brooks, for example: [​IMG]

10. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I wear chocolate brown suede wingtips, pictured here all the time with suits. Charcoal grey, light grey, navy, odd flannel trousers.... You name it. If you don't like it, sue me. [​IMG] If I didn't already have the Yankos in the picture, I would buy those C&Js from Brooks without hesitation. I believe Flusser referred to the brown suede perf'ed cap toe as something like "the most elegant in-town shoe." Now, if those are a lighter, yellowy color of brown (tobacco suede) you may not be able to pair them with the full range of suit options. Sometimes it's tough to tell from pictures, but I think those look reasonably dark. Montecristo

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Strange.  I occasionally wear black wingtips or black perf'd/medallion bluchers with a suit (an AE Chester or AE Lexington).

I think it depends on where you are - wingtips are usually considered "business" shoes in the States.  

My co-workers considered me to be quite "serious" when I did the blue pinstriped suit with wingtips look at work once.  (I had lawyers coming in).  Of course, the unofficial dress code at my office is jeans/khakis and a short sleeve polo shirt/button down shirt.

I do plan to get a suede brogue/wingtip, though. I think it'll look more elegant.

For those that do wear suede with a suit, do you wear a brown leather belt or brown suede belt? Or just suspenders (braces).

12. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Brown leather. Lizard or alligator is nice.

13. Horace

Horace Senior member

I think a grey flannel suit -- lighter than charc. darker than a lighter shade of Cambridge grey. Also Navy suit and navy with white chalk (my favorite and the reason I bought my pair of suedo cap toe medallion bals) I've even worn them with a lighter weight (10-11oz) J Press suit of medium grey color. I like the look. Didn't Windsor employ them often?

14. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Beautiful shoes. Do you know who makes them? Go on and pull the trigger. I think suede brogues are quite elegant.

15. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

What to wear with brown, suede brogues? Red cords, of course... [​IMG]