• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown Monkstrap

KayJay85

Reaction score
Hello all
Short-time lurker and first-time posted (other post was on the B&S forum)

I have recently entered the working world and have been trying to get my wardrobe up to par. I bough one pair of Church's Diplomats and one Cheaney Sloane as I understand it is important to rotate shoes. I am now on the hunt for a pair of Brown Monkstrap shoes upto £300. My reasoning is that I have enough black shoes for now, hence looking for brown and monks should be better suited to casual weekend wear with jeans.

Thoughts on what brands to consider and perhaps online sites where I can get them for less than retail (though I am a size 11 which makes that tougher)? I saw these and wanted to check whether it is true that the shoemaker for N&L is actually C&J?

As embedded links dont seem to work:
Diplomat
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0
Sloane
http://www.cheaney.co.uk/product.asp?id=45
N&L
http://www.newandlingwood.co.uk/product.php?id=762

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New & Lingwood's are made by C&J, Sargeant and others. When I was last there, there were quite a few obvious C&J derivatives.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the Poulson Skone Felsteads at £299 (Just under budget) these are a real step up in class from the C&J Bench etc etc. I have a pair of Poulson's and the quality/finish is arguably in the big boy league. (And they just look the dogs danglies too!!)

(From the N&L Site)

KayJay85

Reaction score
@ Kev

Agreed that those Felsteads are hawt! Just trying to work at the lower end of budget so that I can complete the rest of my wardrobe comfortably too. And as sexy as the Felsteads are, I feel that the classic monks are more versatile for office wear. Thanks for the opinion though!

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get yourself over to Herringshoes.co.uk then and browse the Herring shoes both Classic & premier lines. Theres plenty choice there with Premier being Cheaney and Classic being Loake. Obviously the Cheaney being the better made but the Loake being 1880 Quality which is arguably quite good (Dont go with ForumThink here). I have one pair of 1880's and they are ok not as bad as some say round here.

You may even pick up a steal there in the seconds and discontinued lines which are great value and Herrings are a very good company to deal with.

KayJay85

Reaction score
BUMP for our bleary-eyed American friends

Any other suggestions of where to find such shoes?

KayJay85

Reaction score
So then all are agreed that N&L is the way for me to go?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads