• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown Loafers or Driving Shoes

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some loafers/driving shoes. Just some casual nice brown shoes, no price in mind, but nothing outrageous. Any recommendations? I currently wear some prada shoes. They've held up well for the amount I wear them, but they need some rest.

btw, I'm a size 11... and don't mind buying online.

malat

Reaction score
I picked up these during the summer for about $160 on the web. Maybe it was Zappos (?). Don't pay anywhere near retail for them, but they have held up well (I wore them throughout a vacation to Spain). I usually wear them with jeans or cotton twill pants on weekends.

Ralph Lauren Driver

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer something with a softer, rubbery heel that doesn't make as much noise when I walk. Anymore ideas?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather heels are softer than wood. Much more common too.

Seriously, where do people get wood from? Wood isn't ever used in shoes. Dutch clogs excluded, of course.

Have you ever worn a shoe with leather sole and heel? Coming from overpadded stuff, it might sound uncomfortable, but it's really not.

twistoffat

Reaction score
I´d stick to loafers. Driving shoes like Tods etc are made for exactly that purpose and nothing else"driving". If you want to double clutch your oldtimer or heel n toe on downshifting then buy driving shoes otherwise I´d stick to nice hardwearing loafers

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Seriously, where do people get wood from? Wood isn't ever used in shoes. Dutch clogs excluded, of course.

It's a weird belief, but I've seen a lot of people fall for it. I think it's because most people have never worn a leather heel in their lives, most of their shoes being sneakers or shoes with all rubber heels. To their minds, leather is too thin to form the heel, so it must be made of something harder, like wood.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by twistoffat
I´d stick to loafers. Driving shoes like Tods etc are made for exactly that purpose and nothing else"driving". If you want to double clutch your oldtimer or heel n toe on downshifting then buy driving shoes otherwise I´d stick to nice hardwearing loafers

+1 tods

NMW1982

Reaction score
I don't think the soles of those shoes are wood, lmao.
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I'd prefer something with a softer (not wooden) heel. Anymore ideas?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know your personal style, but its tough to beat a penny loafer in one form or another. Look at Alden's 2 offerings - the LHS and the full-strap. If you are a traditional guy, the LHS is your bet. More of a trendy, go with the full-strap. Either will work in almost all casual settings, as well as passably in most business settings. Both will also be durable and comfortable.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
thoughts on Santoni loafers?

I own a pair of santoni loafers. They are leather soled, so can't comment on the rubber soled models. My pair are FAM monks and I couldn't be happier. Works well formal as well as casual.

Now for casual loafers, I pretty much stick to Prada. They fit me like a glove and hold up very well. So long as you dont mind scruffing at the toes!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It's a weird belief, but I've seen a lot of people fall for it. I think it's because most people have never worn a leather heel in their lives, most of their shoes being sneakers or shoes with all rubber heels. To their minds, leather is too thin to form the heel, so it must be made of something harder, like wood.

+1
The uneducated probably also get confused with manufacturers terms like 'oak wood sole',
ofcourse referring to their leather tanning process.
I have seen wood heels on womens shoes but never on mens.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
+1
The uneducated probably also get confused with manufacturers terms like 'oak wood sole',
ofcourse referring to their leather tanning process.
I have seen wood heels on womens shoes but never on mens.

No, to me, it just looked and felt like wood .
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads