• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brown Loafers or Driving Shoes

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2010
Messages
3,073
Reaction score
227
I'm looking for some loafers/driving shoes. Just some casual nice brown shoes, no price in mind, but nothing outrageous. Any recommendations? I currently wear some prada shoes. They've held up well for the amount I wear them, but they need some rest.

btw, I'm a size 11... and don't mind buying online.
 

malat

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
508
Reaction score
291
I picked up these during the summer for about $160 on the web. Maybe it was Zappos (?). Don't pay anywhere near retail for them, but they have held up well (I wore them throughout a vacation to Spain). I usually wear them with jeans or cotton twill pants on weekends.

Ralph Lauren Driver
 

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2010
Messages
3,073
Reaction score
227
I'd prefer something with a softer, rubbery heel that doesn't make as much noise when I walk. Anymore ideas?
 

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2010
Messages
4,642
Reaction score
318
Leather heels are softer than wood. Much more common too.

Seriously, where do people get wood from? Wood isn't ever used in shoes. Dutch clogs excluded, of course.

Have you ever worn a shoe with leather sole and heel? Coming from overpadded stuff, it might sound uncomfortable, but it's really not.
 

twistoffat

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2009
Messages
487
Reaction score
109
I´d stick to loafers. Driving shoes like Tods etc are made for exactly that purpose and nothing else"driving". If you want to double clutch your oldtimer or heel n toe on downshifting then buy driving shoes otherwise I´d stick to nice hardwearing loafers
 

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
33,512
Reaction score
12,028
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Seriously, where do people get wood from? Wood isn't ever used in shoes. Dutch clogs excluded, of course.

It's a weird belief, but I've seen a lot of people fall for it. I think it's because most people have never worn a leather heel in their lives, most of their shoes being sneakers or shoes with all rubber heels. To their minds, leather is too thin to form the heel, so it must be made of something harder, like wood.
 

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 26, 2009
Messages
1,127
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by twistoffat
I´d stick to loafers. Driving shoes like Tods etc are made for exactly that purpose and nothing else"driving". If you want to double clutch your oldtimer or heel n toe on downshifting then buy driving shoes otherwise I´d stick to nice hardwearing loafers

+1 tods
 

NMW1982

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
204
Reaction score
1
I don't think the soles of those shoes are wood, lmao.


Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I'd prefer something with a softer (not wooden) heel. Anymore ideas?
 

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2008
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
5
Don't know your personal style, but its tough to beat a penny loafer in one form or another. Look at Alden's 2 offerings - the LHS and the full-strap. If you are a traditional guy, the LHS is your bet. More of a trendy, go with the full-strap. Either will work in almost all casual settings, as well as passably in most business settings. Both will also be durable and comfortable.
 

ThatGuy

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2011
Messages
332
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
thoughts on Santoni loafers?

I own a pair of santoni loafers. They are leather soled, so can't comment on the rubber soled models. My pair are FAM monks and I couldn't be happier. Works well formal as well as casual.

Now for casual loafers, I pretty much stick to Prada. They fit me like a glove and hold up very well. So long as you dont mind scruffing at the toes!
 

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
512
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It's a weird belief, but I've seen a lot of people fall for it. I think it's because most people have never worn a leather heel in their lives, most of their shoes being sneakers or shoes with all rubber heels. To their minds, leather is too thin to form the heel, so it must be made of something harder, like wood.

+1
The uneducated probably also get confused with manufacturers terms like 'oak wood sole',
ofcourse referring to their leather tanning process.
I have seen wood heels on womens shoes but never on mens.
 

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2010
Messages
3,073
Reaction score
227
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
+1
The uneducated probably also get confused with manufacturers terms like 'oak wood sole',
ofcourse referring to their leather tanning process.
I have seen wood heels on womens shoes but never on mens.


No, to me, it just looked and felt like wood .
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 142 33.0%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 71 16.5%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 35 8.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 25 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 14 3.3%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.1%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 3.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 27 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,487
Messages
9,199,732
Members
193,210
Latest member
Vox & Leo Shoes

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top