• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers tie lines?

Empyrean4

Reaction score
I was looking BB ties on eBay and I kept coming across ties labeled “Brooks basics”, “BB BFS”, and “346”, I was wondering if there’s any difference between them and regular BB ties?

TexasToast

Reaction score
I was looking BB ties on eBay and I kept coming across ties labeled “Brooks basics”, “BB BFS”, and “346”, I was wondering if there’s any difference between them and regular BB ties?
Great question I also wondered what does Rep stand for is it reputation?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, 346 is the line made specifically for the outlet. The BFS stood, I believe, for Brooks Factory Store and dated back a few decades. Beyond that I’m not sure.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I believe that Brooks Factory Store predated 346. These are both lower quality lines. “Makers” or “Makers and Merchants” ties are better made.
“Repp” ties usually refer to diagonally striped ties. In the UK they generally designate an affiliation with a school or military unit, I think, but have been adopted in the US without these connotations.

TexasToast

Reaction score
Yes I believe that Brooks Factory Store predated 346. These are both lower quality lines. “Makers” or “Makers and Merchants” ties are better made.
“Repp” ties usually refer to diagonally striped ties. In the UK they generally designate an affiliation with a school or military unit, I think, but have been adopted in the US without these connotations.
Thanks for the information.

Empyrean4

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the clarification!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads