• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers C&J Captoe Shell Boot Experience/Opinions

coinopcollector

Reaction score
I just received last week a pair of the C&J for BB Captoe Shell boots. While they are very nice, they are certainly not as impressive as I was expecting C&J's to be. I was surprised by what I felt was their poor quality control out of the box. First off the color on each boot does not match. The left boot is a shade lighter in the bend area. The welt stitching is sloppy at places on each boot. The tongue on the left boot arrived unattached to the sidewall, i.e., the stitching had pulled out, and finally the right boot is about 1/6 of an inch wider than the left. Unfortunately I was so excited to get them for $575 that I disregarded the tongue issue and wore them right away without a thorough exam, so I assume I can't return them. I am new here as a poster, but have read a lot of rave reviews about these boots and C&J in particular. I must say I am a bit dissapointed with them. I admit they are attractive but did not expect the imperfections. I think AE or Alden may have labeled them irregulars. My AE shell Randolphs are perfect and I also have two pair of AE calfs that are perfect, very nice quality and very comfortable. Same with both pairs of my 14 year old Hanover/Bostonian shell wingtips.
I do admit my new boots are attractive anyway, and my wife thinks I'm crazy and too picky. Thoughts?

Hadrius

Reaction score
If it's a quality control issue and you've only worn them once a return is still viable. On the other hand, waits are absurd for them now- you may not get them replaced for a couple months.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

The tongue on the left boot arrived unattached to the sidewall, i.e., the stitching had pulled out

Are you talking about the asymetric way that C&J seem to tack down the tongue on boots?

coinopcollector

Reaction score
Quote:

No. One tongue was tacked the other was free. The free tongue has two sets of stitch holes in it. Looks like they tried to tack it twice and neither took.
I just can't get good pictures of the shoes showing the color issue or stitching. Plus, I used a small bit of Alden cordovan polish and evened the color out. They are a much closer match now. As for the welt stitching, I ran some wax polish over the stitching and it looks much better now. For what I paid I am OK with these shoes and the average guy is going to see them and think they are th nicest boots he's ever seen. I do really like them, I was just expecting a much finer finish from C&J.

1wb

Reaction score

For what I paid I am OK with these shoes and the average guy is going to see them and think they are th nicest boots he's ever seen. I do really like them, I was just expecting a much finer finish from C&J. 

I think the problem is this: these boots are now out of stock everywhere, meaning that they have been cancelled or at least will not be restocked until another season i.e., next fall/winter. The remaining inventory that people purchased during the holidays were likely pairs returned by other customers or unsold in the first place due to small imperfections like unmatched coloring, etc. As long as you are OK with them for the price you paid, then you got a great deal. $560 is a pretty amazing price for that boot.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm VERY happy with mine at $523 :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads