• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Broad shoulders, inbetween sizes, Brooks Brothers MTM?

EnjoyingLife

Reaction score
Recently purchased BB Fitzgerald suit 38S online and upon arrival my suit didn't fit. I forgot to take in the fact that the last time I purchased a suit was at the beginning of the year while hitting the gym hard. So my body has gained a bit of mass on the shoulders, etc.

I went into a local BB store to exchange for a size or two up and ended up spending 2 hours there. The SA and tailor had me tried on numerous suits. My goal was getting a Fitz or Milano. It seems that the shoulders is the problem when trying on the Fitz(40S) and Milano(42S). It felt tight when trying to cross my arms, and the tailor pointed out that my biceps extended further than the shoulders. He also stated that if he alter the jacket (loosen the center seam to make it a bit loose) and bring in the waist will cause the lapel to bulge out. He was not in favor of that. And going with any size bigger, the shoulders looks weird on me.

So I was about to give up and the tailor asked me to try on a 38S Madison. The suit fits very well on the shoulders and movement of the arms feels very comfortable. Tailoring wouldn't be a problem for him but I did have a problem...pleated pants and no side vents. The SA recommended that I go MTM and it would be $100 more. Original price was $1500 minus 15% off. I agreed and they took my measurements, wrote down my request, etc. Overall the experience was great. Just hoping the outcome of the suit is not as horrible like other MTM threads.

Jacket shoulders will be 38S from a Madison jacket.
Side Vents
Functional sleeves buttons.
Half-Canvas
Picked my own lining design
Pants: Flat-front and with a touch of Milano.

Now the 6-8 weeks of waiting... Since BB is having their Semi-Annual deal, I'm a bit tempted in going into another store to try on a few suits after work and hear opinions of other SA/Tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads