• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bringing Pets Abroad

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have a job lined up in Seoul and I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried bringing a cat abroad? At this point I have no idea what I'd do with my cat. The only person that might take him would be my ex-girlfriend and then I'd probably never see him again.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
it's not worth it, sorry.

Costs more than transporting people, you lose it for a couple months in quarantine anyhow (which costs a fortune), and then lose it again on repatriation to the same issue.

Plus - after all the rigmarole - you wouldnt be the first expat to see a much-loved pet disappear to the local BBQ shop....it's better off with your ex.

jkennett

Reaction score
There are a series of hurdles in bringing a pet abroad, including the really awful flying conditions for pets (unless you can bring it into the cabin and fit it under the seat in front of you?). I'm not sure if that is possible with a trans-pacific flight. Also, there is a quarantine period for pets brought into another country, and if the pet gets loose... good luck finding it again. Although, at least with a cat you won't have to worry about it getting eaten by the next door neighbor. In any case, good luck with the job prospect!

I found this site with a quick google and they have a link to the customs info, as well as info on vets and all that in seoul.

http://www.seoulsearching.com/livinginseoul/pets.html

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah screw it, I'll have to find someone to take care of him here, even if it means paying them so he can live with them.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
Although, at least with a cat you won't have to worry about it getting eaten by the next door neighbor.
try google-image-searching "thit meo"

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

Yeah he'll probably get eaten going through customs.
frown.gif

drake

Reaction score
Shouldn't you be moving to Mexico then?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could go to Mexico City too believe it or not.

Actually the job is highly niche and they'd be paying me more than the average Korean salary. It is also an American based company. This is all hypothetical right now. All I know is that I'll be visiting next month for a month at the very least.

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

I'm assuming it's a dish made of house cat?

I agree that the best bet is to have someone temporarily "adopt" your cat. I'm sure you'll find someone willing to take it in.

drake

Reaction score
I suppose that's good. You have to do whatever you can to make your life better.

Originally Posted by tiecollector
I could go to Mexico City too believe it or not.

Actually the job is highly niche and they'd be paying me more than the average Korean salary. It is also an American based company. This is all hypothetical right now. All I know is that I'll be visiting next month for a month at the very least.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I may have a job lined up in Seoul and I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried bringing a cat abroad? At this point I have no idea what I'd do with my cat. The only person that might take him would be my ex-girlfriend and then I'd probably never see him again.

Yeah screw it, I'll have to find someone to take care of him here, even if it means paying them so he can live with them.
I did that with teh RJ cat. It depends by country -- the EU has a form you have filled out by an international veterinarian (any good vet hospital should have someone who can do this) -- and the airlines want $100 and they want to see some USDA forms (ask at a vet hospital), the kicker is that they want the USDA forms countersigned by the USDA within 10 days/week of flying over. The UK still has a quarantine unless you are coming from certain countries. I would check with the airline you'd be flying and with the Korean consulate. If you can, take him in the cabin in a soft-sided bag like a Sherpa bag.

You may need to get the animal microchipped or tattooed (I kid you not). No, not "Tutela Valui".

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd smuggle it. Perhaps you could get some kind of shot that makes the cat's heartbeat very slow, and then try to pass it off as a stuffed toy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads