• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bright-Colored Sportcoats: Did I Make A Bad Buy?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmsmith
I think those are great buys considering the price. I personally wouldn't get much wear out of them, but at $60 you only need to wear them a few times a season to make them worthwhile.
+1

Todd Victorson

Reaction score
I'm quite a bit older than you, but far from conservative. I'm into the blues, periwinkles, and most of all purple. I also love teal blue.

If you have to ask whether your sport coats look good then you are already unsure about them it seems. It would be like if you had a girlfriend but asked everyone you knew if she "looked ok"

That means she probably isn't the one for you. All the sportcoats I have, when I wear them, I feel like a million bucks, and I don't need to ask anyone how they look.

These days, pretty much anything goes. As long as YOU feel confident, you will project that to others.

So, the "con" of brighter colored sport coats is you will have to wear a more subdued shirt with it, which for me is not a con at all. I would rather have a bold sport coat and I'll make it work.

With a more conservative sport coat, you can obviously wear a brighter more adventurous shirt, but to me that isn't enough of a selling point.

I only wear conservative colors to job interviews, that's pretty much it.

I would only advise staying away from neon colors as that is really hard to pull off.

Seamless

Reaction score

I'm quite a bit older than you, but far from conservative. I'm into the blues, periwinkles, and most of all purple. I also love teal blue.

If you have to ask whether your sport coats look good then you are already unsure about them it seems. It would be like if you had a girlfriend but asked everyone you knew if she "looked ok"

That means she probably isn't the one for you. All the sportcoats I have, when I wear them, I feel like a million bucks, and I don't need to ask anyone how they look.

These days, pretty much anything goes. As long as YOU feel confident, you will project that to others.

So, the "con" of brighter colored sport coats is you will have to wear a more subdued shirt with it, which for me is not a con at all. I would rather have a bold sport coat and I'll make it work.

With a more conservative sport coat, you can obviously wear a brighter more adventurous shirt, but to me that isn't enough of a selling point.

I only wear conservative colors to job interviews, that's pretty much it.

I would only advise staying away from neon colors as that is really hard to pull off.

Thread is 7 years old.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads