Bright-Colored Sportcoats: Did I Make A Bad Buy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RatherAnOddball, Dec 12, 2008.

1. RatherAnOddball

RatherAnOddball Senior member

I bought two sportcoats from STP for $60 apiece. I'm an art student and I live in Florida, if those qualities are at all helpful in determining whether these coats aren't poor purchases for me. Coat's webpage: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0...t-For-Men.html Direct link to large image: http://img.sierratradingpost.com/ere...ize&redirect=0 One in rust (pictured above, if the link works as intended, but I think a better descriptor would be "coral" or "salmon") and another in a hefeweizenish yellow, which can be viewed by clicking the appropriate links on the coat's webpage. With cream colored, pale pastel colored or light-and-striped trousers (like seersucker) brown spectators, and white linen or contrasting-color silk pocket squares (e.g., yellow sportcoat gets blue PS) I thought they might be rather nice for daytime socializing and strolling. Sound sound? Am I being goofy? It's so unlike what I see in photos from you lot, but I gather that most of you are professionals of a social class one or two rungs above my own, so your needs will be rather different. I wanted something that was smart, but not too serious. Thanks for your help.

2. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

If you like them and will wear them, you made a good purchase.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would almost never have an opportunity to wear those coats, but I don't live in Florida. That, I think, is the reason you see so little of such things in WAYW. You'd get as little use out of my tweeds.

For $60, they strike me as perfectly fine, as long as you'll have sufficient chance to enjoy them.

4. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

I like them. If you know how to pull them off (especially in this season) they are great. Although, if you have to ask if you made a good purchase then perhaps you wont know how to pull them off... It really all falls on you now [​IMG]

5. RatherAnOddball

Thanks a million for the great replies, they're much appreciated. I think that I can pull them off all right; I'm not nearly so insecure as my posts would suggest. I just wanted to make sure that they weren't costumey or "prom-y." With their ilk nowhere to be found in my style books, the SF forum or Dandyism.net, I just didn't know how they fit into the scheme of things. Now, on the basis of your replies, I can appreciate that they're perfectly acceptable - but no good out of a certain context. [​IMG] Which I'm perfectly comfortable with. In Florida, at least so long as I've lived here, we rarely have proper seasons. We tend instead to have simply a few brisk weeks in the course of a year-long late-spring. And in any case, I love being cold. I'll pick up a few more traditional sorts of sportcoats while STP's sale is still on. There are a few Bill Blass and Lauren ("By," who else, "Ralph Lauren") that strike my fancy too. Again, thank you.

6. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Senior member

I have a salmon colored jacket that I wear from time to time. I don't wear it as much as most of my jackets, but it's fun to pull it out every now and then. Notably, when characterizing things I would wear, my friends often bring it up. Take that as you will... ha

7. Casey

Casey Senior member

I probably wouldn't buy colored sportcoats myself, but I'd buy colored macs and trenches. So basically, I think you did good for $60.

And just because it's "fall" doesn't mean you can't wear color. I don't know what it's like in Florida but today in North County San Diego, it was cold, hot, cloudy, sunny, and rainy all in one day. so you can wear whatever you want here.

8. RatherAnOddball

I probably wouldn't buy colored sportcoats myself, but I'd buy colored macs and trenches.

Sorry to be a sartorial simpleton, but what's a "mac?"

9. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

[​IMG]

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mackintosh -- raincoat

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Sportcoats should be loud and proud. One of my favs is a salmon colored one. Wear it year round.

12. free man

free man Senior member

I love bright colored clothes. As soon as I can put some stacks together, I will get a Borelli 100% linen sport coat in an odd color (I haven't decided what color yet [​IMG] )

13. greyinla

greyinla Senior member

14. cmsmith

cmsmith Senior member

I think those are great buys considering the price. I personally wouldn't get much wear out of them, but at $60 you only need to wear them a few times a season to make them worthwhile.

15. likeitaloud

likeitaloud Senior member

[​IMG]