• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The top one looks "inspired" by Bottega Veneta to me.

http://www.bottegaveneta.com/us/business-bag_cod55008983tm.html

Talking about bottega. I have a brand new with tags Bottega Veneta briefcase for sale in signature intrecciato woven leather. All accessories included. This one exactly

http://www.bottegaveneta.com/us/business-bag_cod55008985vm.html

Currently retail at $2520

Contact me to ask price if interested

Last edited:

munshpe

Reaction score
I received my Havana brown SAB briefcase yesterday---the Westminister 3. I was rather disappointed in what I got. There was a large ugly stain under the flap in the area where the lock hardware is. Also, the description for the case was wrong on their site. They had two different measurements for the case listed on the same webpage. I pointed this out to Susan at SAB and she corrected it. After receiving the case and comparing it to the description, I found an even a greater error and I e-mailed Susan about it (I have not heard back yet.). Anyway there is no excuse for these listing errors or the lack of quality control with the stain issue. I'm new to this forum. I'm sorry my first post isn't very positive. I've attached a picture of the stain.

munshpe

Reaction score
I received my Havana brown SAB briefcase yesterday---the Westminister 3. I was rather disappointed in what I got. There was a large ugly stain under the flap in the area where the lock hardware is. Also, the description for the case was wrong on their site. They had two different measurements for the case listed on the same webpage. I pointed this out to Susan at SAB and she corrected it. After receiving the case and comparing it to the description, I found an even a greater error and I e-mailed Susan about it (I have not heard back yet.). Anyway there is no excuse for these listing errors or the lack of quality control with the stain issue. I'm new to this forum. I'm sorry my first post isn't very positive. I've attached a picture of the stain.

SHS

Reaction score
That does not look good, but you should give SAB a chance to rectify it before you make a public post about it. I hope everything will be fine.

munshpe

Reaction score
I appreciate your feedback. I notified Susan at Swaine Adeney Brigg that they had the wrong measurement for the Westminister 3 on their website--they actually had two measurements for the case on the same webpage. She corrected the wrong one without even thanking me for bringing this to their attention. When I got my case I noticed that there were no pockets in it. The description on the site clearly says that the case has pockets. I brought this to Susan's attention and I just noticed that she removed this information from the Westminister 3 site. Again, she never thanked me. I sent her a picture of the stain that is on the case, but I never received a reply to my e-mail. I would have been satisfied with a thank you and we apologize, but I received neither. This is a very expensive case and I expected at least the courtesy of a reply. Also, rather minor, but I requested a tracking number for the shipment. They never sent me a tracking number until I asked them again for a tracking number and they sent it to me hours before it arrived. On the positive side, the outside of the case looks good. Below are a couple of pictures. Thank you.

Last edited:

SHS

Reaction score
That does sound rather messy. I hope everything works out for you. Looking forward to the pictures and an update on the outcome.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

its nothing. It will be on the inside anyway. It will not affect the the usability of the briefcase. Any hand made product will have some sort of imperfection. Just learn and live with it.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

its nothing. It will be on the inside anyway. It will not affect the the usability of the briefcase. Any hand made product will have some sort of imperfection. Just learn and live with it.

Nonsense. I've seen so much poor finishing being passed off as imperfections of the handmade process. It's a real shame, because handmade should be synonymous with superior quality, not an excuse for imperfections.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I appreciate your feedback. I notified Susan at Swaine Adeney Brigg that they had the wrong measurement for the Westminister 3 on their website--they actually had two measurements for the case on the same webpage. She corrected the wrong one without even thanking me for bringing this to their attention. When I got my case I noticed that there were no pockets in it. The description on the site clearly says that the case has pockets. I brought this to Susan's attention and I just noticed that she removed this information from the Westminister 3 site. Again, she never thanked me. I sent her a picture of the stain that is on the case, but I never received a reply to my e-mail. I would have been satisfied with a thank you and we apologize, but I received neither. This is a very expensive case and I expected at least the courtesy of a reply. Also, rather minor, but I requested a tracking number for the shipment. They never sent me a tracking number until I asked them again for a tracking number and they sent it to me hours before it arrived. On the positive side, the outside of the case looks good. Below are a couple of pictures. Thank you.
Did you purchase directly from SAB or did you go through their US retailer Sterling & Burke?

munshpe

Reaction score
I purchased directly from the SAB website. I've never used Sterling & Burke. I typically have a very good experience dealing with British merchants. I consider this experience atypical. Thank you.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have recently revamped by suitcases into casual/formal and small/big. Here is what I ended up with: Small casual: #8 shell cordovan, bespoke from Bogota, Colombia Large casual: #8 shell cordovan, Brooks Brothers Small formal: SAB Carrington in havanna Large formal: SAB (via B2) in london tan And an extra large bag (formal or informal) from Glaser Deseign in black: I am happy with this but I may substitute a black SAB Bond case for the SAB London Tan. A simple black briefcase adds an element of formality that a tan lawyer's bag does not.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
******* bullshit response.

Demand a new bag and some form of compensation for ******* you around.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
^^^^^Absolutely ******* agree. No chance in hell I would accept that. Your experience has saved me from possibly experiencing the same thing. I have now scratched SAB. I would return it and look at Glaser in San Fran or Frank Clegg.

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
Have to say - that is pretty shite... I have had a similar experience before - a much smaller imperfection - the retailer replaced the entire product, did not ask for shipping, and said for the inconvenience, please keep the original

From a world famous brand like SAB, that is very poor - I will be following this story - but to confirm, you bought directly through the SAB website and are sure you are dealing with the real deal? Sorry this may be a foolish question but buying online might not be as straight forward as bricks and mortar retail

From a customer perspective I have to recommend the *** brands, but in particular Ohba. Herz was also responsive and welcoming. Was disappointed by Zanellato.

Sorry forgot to add that Glaser's service was world class

Last edited:

brokentelephone

Reaction score
If it means anything, re: their business acumen generally, Swaine Adeney Brigg is now located in a small store in Piccadilly Arcade having moved from a 2 story flagship on St. James St. Was in there yesterday after my haircut in the arcade and the employees were knobs, and their website sucks a nut .

I'd buy at Cleverly or Dunhill over SAB any day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads