• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breitling-

drljva

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Do you fly an F-16?

I don't, but these days, you never know -- events like the Kim tragedy in Oregon make you wonder if having something like one of these watches would have saved him...
confused.gif

DuncanM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Breitling is the new Rolex.

Don't do it.

I am constantly amazed that you cannot have a watch thread without Rolex being mentioned. I cannot think of any other brand that inspires so much love/hate.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drljva
I don't, but these days, you never know -- events like the Kim tragedy in Oregon make you wonder if having something like one of these watches would have saved him...
confused.gif

A bit off topic. More advanced Personal Locator Beacons operating on 406 MHz frequency are available to civilians in US now. They have some advantages over the Breitling's 121.5/243 MHz transmitter. They are not built into a watch though.

4beacons-250ds.jpg

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, don't get your watch from Tourneau, those guys are dumber than cell phone salesmen, and have less knowledge of their product. Second, I think Breitling makes an awesome watch, and is replacing Rolex for good reason. Rolex sort of lost itself beginning, IMO, with the creation of the Yacht Master, and continuing with the new Datejust models. The quality hasn't declined, but the watch doesn't represent what it once did. Breitling, OTOH, has evolved beautifully as both a label and a timepiece, IMHO. I have one, and though I now prefer watches at a slightly different level, I believe that for what they are, they are unbeatable. Though they are in the same basic price range, they are worlds better than Tag, Omega, B&M, et al.

Python

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Breitling; style-wise I far prefer Rado watches, particularly the rectangular designs.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
First, don't get your watch from Tourneau, those guys are dumber than cell phone salesmen, and have less knowledge of their product.
The same can be said for most clothing and shoe salespeople, or salespeople in general. Personally, I don't rely on salespeople for product information, I prefer to perform my own due diligence. Warning someone off Tourneau is like warning them off Neiman Marcus or Saks. At the end of the day, Tourneau's got the goods, literally. They have the largest and most diverse inventory of any dealer in the world.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
they do have all the goods.
tourneau is a WIS ultimate candy store. however, it really depends on the location though. the one is woodland hills is limited to IWC as their highest brand while the South Coast mall has got everything from rolex to patek.
although the SC one the sales ladies there are very STUCK UP.
and for no good reason too. just picked up off the streets, shouting "me brazos fuertes me brazos fuertes" like in the movie El Norte.

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
Dont like Breitling (and be it only for their cheesy 'instruments for professionals' slogan) and much more prefer the classic and timeless Rolex SS sport watches (like Explorer and Submariner, almost unaltered since introduction).

josephrex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
...At the end of the day, Tourneau's got the goods, literally. They have the largest and most diverse inventory of any dealer in the world.

Maybe that is the case if you consider all their stores combined, but the NY 57th St. store isn't too impressive. Perhaps there are better Tourneau stores overseas, but the salesman who took a deposit to find me a simple vintage Datejust was one of the bigger idiots I've ever met. He ordered me two Oysterdates in succession.

There are many watch dealers even here in LA that have far more impressive new/used/vintage watch inventories.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josephrex
Maybe that is the case if you consider all their stores combined.
Yes, one can shop the new and pre-owned inventory of any Tourneau location and have it shipped to your local store in a couple of days.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the comment that Tourneau would not be the first place I would visit for purchasing a high-end timepiece. If you live in the NYC area, the Cellini in the Waldorf-Astoria offers great service. If you live north of the city, Tarrytown jewelers actually stocks an interesting inventory of used pieces. Prices are pretty competitive and their after market servicing seems pretty competent--they routinely handle the better ETA ebauches in Omega, IWC, Breitling, etc.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
I second the comment that Tourneau would not be the first place I would visit for purchasing a high-end timepiece.
Just curious, but why do you advise to avoid Tourneau? Is this about employee attitude? Cellini may have better personnel but they don't carry Patek, Breguet or even Rolex.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Just curious, but why do you advise to avoid Tourneau? Is this about employee attitude? Cellini may have better personnel but they don't carry Patek, Breguet or even Rolex.

The issue that most, including myself, have with Tourneau is the aggressive salespeople who know nothing ("this watch is completely handmade" talking about an IWC Portugese or this gem "You wont find this movement in any other watch" talking about a breitling!!). i was trying on a watch there and a woman almost ripped my arm off due to the fact that I was about to place my wrist, with the watch, on the glass case, "you'll scratch it!!!". Lastly, they act like asking for a discount is the lowest form of class.

Their service dept. isn't all that either. It took them about 45 minutes to size an Omega Seamaster bracelet (this was years ago at the 34th street store).

The 1 positive is their trade in policy.

in short, I'd shop for a watch just about anywhere else.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
well, i had even worse, like one time i walked in with my wife and this asian lady , never smiling, just reluctantly came up to us. stood there saying nothing just giving us this blank stare.
i asked if i can see a longines that i pointed to. she took one second to roll her eyes, and then proceeded to take it out of the case and hand to us.

later i walked over to the omega. we turned to look at her and she was still standing by the longines. looking at us with a blank stare. irritated by her attitude i asked someone else to help us. the guy just turned looked me up and down and said she will be helping me. so the asian lady , took one second to roll her eyes, slowly walked to the omega, and took out the seamaster.

after that, i was like what the hell, if this is what they called sales service i rather go somewhere else. yeah, we were dressed in drab. maybe if i wore my santoni Fams. who knows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads