• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brandon Routh (New Superman) doing Cary Grant?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some stills of him wearing a powder-blue three-piece in the movie. When was the last time you saw one of those?

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
To be perfectly fair, Christopher Reeves wasn't all that stylish as Clark Kent in the originals. Probably on purpose... he's supposed to look like an average joe.

To be perfectly fair, that first pic is Brandon Routh in his own clothes, not 'Clark Kent' in wardrobe.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clark is supposed to be dumpy. Oxxford oversized suits?? It's part of his farm boy clumsy throw off that he is not the super powered alien supes.

And LD I've seen your tie and knot, don't throw stones at poor BR trying his best.
wink.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'd have to see other pictures where you can actually see the fit of the suit. From these pictures it looks really crappy.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just give him points for trying and the pocket square. But I'm a bit optimistic in persona. I think this is a case in point that the quality of materials along side the fit, and the cut are all equally important. You can't have one without the others. Cardboard fabrics even if fitted correctly look bad.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
To be perfectly fair, that first pic is Brandon Routh in his own clothes, not 'Clark Kent' in wardrobe.
Was I talking about the first picture?
rolleyes.gif

The Grapist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I assume that's intentional.

It certainly is. Mark Waid wrote an excellent retelling of Superman's origins called "Birthright." And in it, Martha Kent point blank says something to the effect of "You need to wear lose and ill fitting clothes. If people see how muscular and fit you are, it'll just add to the suspicion."

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw the flick. Yes, the suits are pretty ill-fitting...he wears three diffrent three-piece suits, one two-piece and one two-piece with a sweater vest. He wears all with button-down collars, adding to the folksy look.

Lex Luthor's suits are bound to take more notice. First off all, there is his dressing room on his yacht that most guys here would kill for-nice peice of craftsmanship. His has one very natty gray three-piece he wears, but oddly the jacket doesn't fit him worth a damn. He also wears two, count 'rm TWO courdoroy three-piece suits, one blue and one brown. We'll see if the courdoroy three-piece makes a comeback (maybe even with leather patches on the elbows!!!).

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
That's weird. One would think Lex's jackets would fit him better since he has the money and doesn't have a Superbuff (tm) body to hide. I've maybe once seen a corduroy two piece. Never a corduroy three piece. Did the jackets in the movie have elbow patches? By the way, any spoilers and I'll beat the offender to a pulp. Going to see Superman Returns in Imax. :)))))))

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Was I talking about the first picture?
rolleyes.gif

Don't you start with me, young man!
mad.gif

perfectfit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I'd have to see other pictures where you can actually see the fit of the suit. From these pictures it looks really crappy.

Here's another photo of the suit. This suit is super 150's cashmere, and it's actually grey with an extremely mild blue fade stripe in it. It fits him perfectly, as does the shirt (which is sea island cotton).

It's easy to criticize a photo, but he looked awesome.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by perfectfit
Here's another photo of the suit. This suit is super 150's cashmere, and it's actually grey with an extremely mild blue fade stripe in it. It fits him perfectly, as does the shirt (which is sea island cotton).

It's easy to criticize a photo, but he looked awesome.

Why do you know so much about this suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics