• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brace/Suspender and crotch discomfort

CrimmyS

Reaction score
I've started wearing Y (button) and holster (clip) braces casually for the last 6 weeks or so. My only other experience with them was a few years ago with bespoke pants, very infrequently.

I've noticed enough discomfort in my crotch area to be distracting. Gets worse any time I bend or sit, and squatting can be very uncomfortable. Need to pull pants down upon standing.

When I ease the tension it helps, but doesn't remedy it. And the braces slip off my shoulders very easily.

Specifically in the mirror it seems like there's more tension on the back, and it's pulling my pants up against my crotch.

Is this just how it is for some guys? Is it related to the way the pants are made (lower waisted pants)? Or related to the braces?

For reference I'm typically wearing jeans with stretch, and the braces have stretch too. My nicer pair of silk dress braces and dress pants (and preciously bespoke pants) also have this crotch issue.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to assume you are wearing low or mid low rise trousers?

Sounds like the braces are pulling trousers up above the rise they are cut to and becoming uncomfortable.

Shouldn't be an issue with mid-high or high rise trousers.

CrimmyS

Reaction score
there we go, that was the word I was looking for.

Yes, probably low to mid rise.

I guess I don't quite understand how high rise would help though, if lengthening the straps doesn't.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Braces by definition should be snug. They should be keeping your trousers up - so they will be pulling them up to some degree.

Before I accepted the superiority of midhigh and high rise trousers, I had many pairs made in mid and even low rise. I have never had braces feel comfortable and lie in position with midlow or low rise trousers.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LBJ on a recorded phone call to trouser maker Joe Haggar:

“Now, another thing: the crotch, down where your nuts hang, is always a little too tight. So when you make them up, give me a inch that I can let out there, because they cut me. They're just like riding a wire fence.”

I’m no LBJ, but in my experience more room in the crotch will make braces more comfortable.

CrimmyS

Reaction score
Thanks.

Glad to hear higher rise pants work better for some. Personally I don't see how rise itself matters though. Since you can just lengthen the straps. Wherever the rise is, the tension must come from either the pants being heavy enough to keep the straps in place, or the pants being pulled against something (muh sack).

Maybe there's another component to high rise pants that alleviates this a little? Maybe it's just the design of the crotch? Maybe my anatomy just sits a weird way?

I did notice that with the clip holsters, everything felt much more comfortable. Maybe because the tension is partially placed on the side, instead of directly along the crotch.

Unfortunately, I like traditional Y ones because they support the front of the pants. I have different proportions from lifting and my waist is always a little loose compared to the thighs, especially when I'm cutting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads