• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What underwear is comfortable for large thighs?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not a troll thread.

After my thighs got larger, specifically my inner thighs, I find I don't have as much real estate in the crotch area when wearing chinos/fatigues/jeans/etc. The crotch seams also tend to be thicker on casual pants vs. dress trousers.

This has lead to discomfort, and pain reminding me of when I had epididymitis in the past. I don't wish that pain on anyone, that was horrible.

I've sized up on underwear and tried different types, but nothing has worked great.

Boxers
When I sit down and my thighs spread out, the boxers always ride up and create a wedge. 100% cotton, no stretch,

Boxer Briefs
I tried my smart wool underwear I use for the gym, but the thighs are snug, so these also ride up and wedge. Wool/Nylon stretch blend.

Briefs
These have worked the best so far. They don't feel remotely comfortable, but they do have some support and don't cause me physical pain like the other 2 options. After a while though, the side crotch seams also end up digging in. Cotton, but with a lot of elastic.

Send help, I need underwear recommendations.

@stuffedsuperdud

Last edited by a moderator:

papado

Reaction score

After my thighs got larger, specifically my inner thighs, I find I don't have as much real estate in the crotch area when wearing chinos/fatigues/jeans/etc. The crotch seams also tend to be thicker on casual pants vs. dress trousers.

This has lead to discomfort, and pain reminding me of when I had epididymitis in the past. I don't wish that pain on anyone, that was horrible.

I've sized up on underwear and tried different types, but nothing has worked great.

Boxers
When I sit down and my thighs spread out, the boxers always ride up and create a wedge. 100% cotton, no stretch,

Boxer Briefs
I tried my smart wool underwear I use for the gym, but the thighs are snug, so these also ride up and wedge. Wool/Nylon stretch blend.

Briefs
These have worked the best so far. They don't feel remotely comfortable, but they do have some support and don't cause me physical pain like the other 2 options. After a while though, the side crotch seams also end up digging in. Cotton, but with a lot of elastic.

@stuffedsuperdud

I've found success with Tommy John Boxer Briefs (also can do shorter versions and 'trunks'); you can size up one size if you feel like you need more room but waist and leg bottoms will become a little loose. I also really like All Citizens 'Athletic' fit which has larger leg opening than standard model; they are secure yet comfortable.

I used to wear Sheath which was ok to me for a while but you may find those will work too.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Most people who take up barbell training complain about their old pants not fitting anymore in the hips and thighs but this is next level. To be honest I don't really know exactly what you're describing but that could simply be because I've been doing the thicc(ish)-thighs thing for so long that I don't remember anymore what it feels like to be normal... (could be said about other issues too) Anyhoo, without going too deep into the specifics of your problem, briefs are probably your friend simply because there's less material present. The Uniqlo Airism briefs are made out of a thinner synthetic material that takes up minimal real estate and is also pretty good about moisture wicking, which might further help reduce discomfort. They're also cut to provide some...support...for your junk and keep teh situation more controlled such that things don't go bobbing around and bumping into other things.

Reminds me: has anyone ever actually had a tailor ask them if they dress left or dress right? One of those relic #menswear blogs from 2010 had me convinced that that was standard ops for a properly intimate relationship with your guy, and now poor Arsen in Costa Mesa CA knows way too much about how I tend to position things.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bespoke boxers!
:teach:

Last edited:

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I have a similar problem caused by powerlifting and I would suggest you briefs in micro modal.

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score

Boxers

Boxer Briefs

Briefs

@stuffedsuperdud

Don’t have current thigh measurements but I’ve had the thick thighs problem ever since I was a teenager. There are some underwear that are really problematic - particularly boxer briefs that have non-stretchy seams around the thighs. Fruit of the Loom tends to be the absolute worst for me.

I recently found success with the Calvin Klein microfiber (not cotton!) boxerbriefs. Super soft. Super stretchy. You can find them in 3-packs at Nordstrom Rack fairly inexpensively. I have since replaced pretty much all of my underwear with these and have been super happy.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate to suggest it, but have you tried jocks? You can get some a modal pouch big enough for your junk and the elastic bands that go over your butt will prevent the pouch from tightening up in pretty much any position (sitting/standing/crouching/etc).

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Boxers

Boxer Briefs

Briefs

@stuffedsuperdud
I'm guessing you wear through the crotch on your dress pants quite often.

cr2596

Reaction score
Calvin Klein briefs here. They have two heights, try both and see what works.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the options. I'd appreciate a link for trying online, I feel inundated with choices.

Does anyone have sizing recommendations? I've oscillated between small, medium, and large on all my underwear. My legs are 22" at the widest, hips are 38". Waist is 32", but all the underwear I've tried sits below my waist.

Current briefs are size large, but they shrunk in the dryer.

Hate to suggest it, but have you tried jocks? You can get some a modal pouch big enough for your junk and the elastic bands that go over your butt will prevent the pouch from tightening up in pretty much any position (sitting/standing/crouching/etc).
I looked these up, and unfortunately won't work due to the literal butt hole on the jock.

I can't imagine the nasty sweat seeping into my chinos.
I'm guessing you wear through the crotch on your dress pants quite often.
Fortunately not, because I rarely wear dress trousers.

papado

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the options. I'd appreciate a link for trying online, I feel inundated with choices.

Does anyone have sizing recommendations? I've oscillated between small, medium, and large on all my underwear. My legs are 22" at the widest, hips are 38". Waist is 32", but all the underwear I've tried sits below my waist.

Current briefs are size large, but they shrunk in the dryer.

I looked these up, and unfortunately won't work due to the literal butt hole on the jock.

I can't imagine the nasty sweat seeping into my chinos.

Fortunately not, because I rarely wear dress trousers.

I'd try the athlteic fit Medium in these guys. Per their measurements you would fit in standard size but better to give yourself a little more room. They made their website all 'fancy' so it may be a little of a pain to find stuff in your size/order but promise they're legit good product.

bluechinchilla

Reaction score
Patagonia essential boxer is what finally worked for me

"Everyday boxers made with moisture-wicking, breathable TENCEL™ lyocell/elastane stretch jersey. Fair Trade Certified™ sewn."

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am part of the large leg club.

Years ago, I was noticing major irritation around my belly and nether regions. I figured out that the cotton underwear and undershirts I was wearing were causing the irritation. They retained moisture and made life unpleasant.

I switched to Under Armour boxer briefs and undershirts, all made from synthetics that didn't absorb moisture like cotton. Those both improved my skin considerably.

I also would suggest trying some compression shorts. They run half way down the thigh, will wick moisture, and may help the problem you are describing:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
French back undershorts. My Dad used to wear these and
they were widely available 50 years ago. No elastic. Brooks has (had)
them in deadstock in extremely large sizes. Here is the real thing from Hong Kong:

Another source:

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried 5 different pairs of underwear since this post, all of them suck.

Various briefs, boxer briefs, shorter boxer briefs from David Archy and Saxx.

They solve the issue of balls being crushed, but they all now ride up and wedgie me from the slightest movement.
Calvin Klein briefs here. They have two heights, try both and see what works.
These?

Modern Cotton Stretch 3 Pack Hip Brief | Calvin Klein

What size did you order, and what are your leg/hip measurements?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads