• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowtie - braces or belt?

dba

Reaction score
Hello,
I just purchased my first Bowtie yesterday. I am on the hunt for a set of braces to wear with them but wanted to ask if it would considered a faux paus to wear it with a belt or whether no such conventions exist.

Any advice is appreciated since this is new territory for me. I figured BowTieLover would be able to give some insight at the least.

Thanks a lot!
dba

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score
I think the traditional convention would say braces, but I wear bows and belts quite often if it fits the occasion. I'm just not a big braces fan personally.

Sebastian

Reaction score
If the belt isn't too flashy, I wouldn't consider it a problem wearing one with a bowtie.

I personally tend to wear bowties only with 3-piece or double breasted suits, so no problem with this question for me at all.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about wearing brown shoes with a bowtie?

dba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
What about wearing brown shoes with a bowtie?

I was considering this...it's a navy polka dot so was thinking of pairing with a solid navy suit and possibly a brown cap toe or maybe with a charcoal pinstripe and a burgundy shoe....although part of me would like a navy suit and white/navy saddle shoe, lol.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dba
I was considering this....

baldy[1].gif

I doesn't matter, dude.

organix71

Reaction score
Either is fine. I often wear with a belt (since i have more trousers that take belts) but braces are, of course, ok as well. I'm not keen on showing ones braces in general, but i know some folks like the look.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
I own probably over 100 bow ties (I last had a "conventional" tie on in 1983 for an interview)... and think either a belt or braces go well. Sometimes braces feel a bit dated, yet it is still a good look.

In any event, I found that to effectively "pull off" the bow tie look in the business or legal world, it's more about a certain attitude, than look itself. Some men can just pull it off better than others.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r
I own probably over 100 bow ties (I last had a "conventional" tie on in 1983 for an interview)... and think either a belt or braces go well. Sometimes braces feel a bit dated, yet it is still a good look.

In any event, I found that to effectively "pull off" the bow tie look in the business or legal world, it's more about a certain attitude, than look itself. Some men can just pull it off better than others.

"You said bullshit and experience is all it takes, right? Come on in and experience some of my bullshit." Reggie Hammond (Eddie Murphy), 48 Hrs. 1982

to some extent, this is true. If you feel uncomfortable in a bowtie, it shows. I got over my initial problems with them quick, and now, I much prefer them to regular long ties.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
If the belt isn't too flashy, I wouldn't consider it a problem wearing one with a bowtie.

I personally tend to wear bowties only with 3-piece or double breasted suits, so no problem with this question for me at all.

There's no problem with wearing belts or braces with bowties as long as they are complementary. I also noticed this quote about wearing a bt with db suit, sorry to demur and maybe it's just a personal thing but I NEVER wear a bow tie with a double breasted suit, other than for evening dress. I don't know what it is but somehow the combination of TWO rather distinctive, some would say egocentric, garments just looks over the top. Trying a bit too hard. I feel rather the same way about the look of double breasted suits in glen checks (I know it was the Duke of Windsor's thing) but it again seems a tad OTT. For some reason db suits in glen check seem popular with small guys (DoW again) and this seems to make it even more overcompensatory. I once knew a small guy who always dressed this way, the suits always seemed too big on him. Mind you he used to have two monograms on his shirts too so maybe he was suffering an identity crisis.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can wear it however you want.

It would be nicer if you keep it traditional.

I'd say go to braces or a 3 pieces suits with pleats and cuffs. nice
smile.gif

JR88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Makes no difference.

If you are 23 years old and your peers are all wearing regular neckties, all other things being equal, braces/bowtie is a MUCH different look from belt/bowtie.

If you are 50, then I agree with you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads