• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
I was at Coscto earlier today, and saw this.

xbd0gi.jpg

$20 for 1L of "small batch bourbon" - I couldn't resist. The label said the mash bill contained corn, rye, and malt. It's aged 7 years, and bottled at 51.5% ABV. Tasting notes on the label state that there are complex aromas of molasses, citrus and spice, with a faint smoky background and a long rich finish.

On the nose, I definitely get vanilla and some molasses/brown sugar. Also, upon first pour, I got a good bit of citrus on the nose, but after about 10-15min of sitting in the glass, the citrus is almost undetectable - the vanilla and brown sugar aromas remain. On the palate, there's lots of spice - in part due to the high ABV, but also in part due to the rye. Also, lots of oak. Lastly, I get hints of popcorn on the finish/aftertaste. IMO, it tastes similar to a younger Elijah Craig 12 that has been bottled at a higher ABV. Not really complex, but still very good. For the money, I'd say it's a solid bourbon - great value.

Anyone else try this yet?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel, from 2001. It's quite nice for a $25 bottle, not harsh and with some nice flavor. Good stuff if you're trying to keep your wallet a little more full.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Prob'ly just me, but I probably wouldn't be too tempted to buy a bourbon with the same brand name as the 24 pack of underwear for twelve bucks.

That said, I'm glad you are pleased with it, sounds like you got yourself a good buy there.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Prob'ly just me, but I probably wouldn't be too tempted to buy a bourbon with the same brand name as the 24 pack of underwear for twelve bucks.

That said, I'm glad you are pleased with it, sounds like you got yourself a good buy there.

i thought i read on here that their scotch is re-branded macallan. their vodka is really good and again, i think i saw it's re-branded grey goose. never really tried to compare the two. that being said, thanks to MI and their stupid laws, i can only get the vodka and not the scotch. never seen the bourbon

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
i thought i read on here that their scotch is re-branded macallan.

It is, it even says so on the label. It's also really quite spectacular

i4Qiw.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
I was at Coscto earlier today, and saw this.
xbd0gi.jpg
$20 for 1L of "small batch bourbon" - I couldn't resist. The label said the mash bill contained corn, rye, and malt. It's aged 7 years, and bottled at 51.5% ABV. Tasting notes on the label state that there are complex aromas of molasses, citrus and spice, with a faint smoky background and a long rich finish. On the nose, I definitely get vanilla and some molasses/brown sugar. Also, upon first pour, I got a good bit of citrus on the nose, but after about 10-15min of sitting in the glass, the citrus is almost undetectable - the vanilla and brown sugar aromas remain. On the palate, there's lots of spice - in part due to the high ABV, but also in part due to the rye. Also, lots of oak. Lastly, I get hints of popcorn on the finish/aftertaste. IMO, it tastes similar to a younger Elijah Craig 12 that has been bottled at a higher ABV. Not really complex, but still very good. For the money, I'd say it's a solid bourbon - great value. Anyone else try this yet?

Elijah Craig is Heaven Hill, which produces a lot of off label stuff. It's a good bet your bottle was made by them. Going more in depth with that, Elijah Craig, when they started the line, was Evan Williams aged longer. Probably still is. So, with the guess of "Elijah Craig with less aging", it's a good bet you're drinking higher ABV Evan Williams. Which, incidentally, I bought a bottle of the 10 year version of recently (That's the 1783, FYI) in NC, and smuggled it into NY. Much cheaper that way. Makes a great Old Fashioned.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Going more in depth with that, Elijah Craig, when they started the line, was Evan Williams aged longer. Probably still is. So, with the guess of "Elijah Craig with less aging", it's a good bet you're drinking higher ABV Evan Williams.

I am sure you're right, but it's a little bit of a stretch I think to refer to anything Evan Williams as small batch..

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Elijah Craig is Heaven Hill, which produces a lot of off label stuff. It's a good bet your bottle was made by them. Going more in depth with that, Elijah Craig, when they started the line, was Evan Williams aged longer. Probably still is. So, with the guess of "Elijah Craig with less aging", it's a good bet you're drinking higher ABV Evan Williams.
The Kirkland stuff is definitely a Jim Beam bourbon and tastes strikingly similar to Knob Creek. Its not a bad deal for $20 if you like Knob. Also, the bottle looks identical to the new Jim Beam Signature bourbon, a six grain bourbon.
JB-SignaturePkg-12.jpg

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
The Kirkland stuff is definitely a Jim Beam bourbon and tastes strikingly similar to Knob Creek. Its not a bad deal for $20 if you like Knob.

Also, the bottle looks identical to the new Jim Beam Signature bourbon, a six grain bourbon.

I did read somewhere that the Kirkland stuff was a Beam bourbon. However, I recently went through a bottle of Knob a few months ago, and I don't recall it tasting like this Kirkland stuff. Then again, Knob is aged for 2 more years, and bottled at a lower ABV (101 vs. 103), so that could account for the difference. In any case, I like Knob, so $20 for a liter of this stuff isn't bad.

Have you tried this Kirkland stuff? If so, what'd you think?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
I did read somewhere that the Kirkland stuff was a Beam bourbon. However, I recently went through a bottle of Knob a few months ago, and I don't recall it tasting like this Kirkland stuff. Then again, Knob is aged for 2 more years, and bottled at a lower ABV (101 vs. 103), so that could account for the difference. In any case, I like Knob, so $20 for a liter of this stuff isn't bad.

Have you tried this Kirkland stuff? If so, what'd you think?

Yes, I thought it tasted like a younger Knob. I don't really care for Knob that much, its too sweet for me, but for $20 I think the Kirkland stuff is a pretty good buy for a house bourbon or cocktail bourbon.

amnesiac

Reaction score
I've set out a glass for my new bottle of old grand dad 114. I've had the bottled in bond version on many occasions, very interested to see what this is like...

robotosan

Reaction score
Just finished Jim Bean Black, which I'm starting to love and just recieved a bottle of Basil Hayden's as a gift.

I just opened the bottle and not to sure how I like it.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Yes, I thought it tasted like a younger Knob. I don't really care for Knob that much, its too sweet for me, but for $20 I think the Kirkland stuff is a pretty good buy for a house bourbon or cocktail bourbon.
I picked it up but haven't cracked it open yet. I thought it would be great for the guests.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robotosan
Just finished Jim Bean Black, which I'm starting to love and just recieved a bottle of Basil Hayden's as a gift.

I just opened the bottle and not to sure how I like it.

I don't like Basil too much. It seems water down to me. I rather have a bottle of Noah's Mill > Booker's > Baker's. You should try Evan William single barrel and Eagle Rare 10 if you don't want to break the bank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads