• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots boots boots!

oppi

Reaction score
Hi All,

Long time reader here, but I believe this is my first post. I hate to put a first post up asking for a favour (information). The only thing I can offer you gentlemen is a heads up that Leatherfoot in Toronto had a customer appreciation sale this past weekend (good discounts on Saint Crispin's ... particularly "last pairs"). Here's what their email said: "We are offering special reduced pricing on in-stock models, and no taxes or import duties if overseas. We are also discounting the tax on Made To Order options."

If you see something you like on their site, you might call them and negotiate the sale price. I'm sure they would honor it. Check their website: http://www.leatherfoot.com/

Okay back to my question ...

I need your help SF! I'm looking for boots for fall/winter wear (I have multiple pairs of boots - Sorrels etc - for snow/ice when it's really bad or I am doing any real trudging through salt/snow). The pair I'm after now would be my go-to's for weekends and possibly commuting when I don't want to wear something chunky (I generally drive in and may take transit on occasion). I already own a fine pair of chelsea boots BTW.

Criteria:
- Colour - walnut, burgundy, maroon ... something that would be easy to pair with anything (I love the look of tan boots, but would never wear them with black jeans / trousers)
- Double leather or commando sole ... but elegant (boots that hide the commando sole ... not looking for a jump boot)
- Storm welted would be nice
- Could be worn to commute with a suit (I would change into oxfords at the office). Not looking for a dainty balmoral (?) boot that could go with a suit all day.
- Could be worn with sports/coats and odd trousers
- Could be worn with blue and black jeans (this will be the majority of my use for these)
- I like an elongated toe and chiselled toe in general (other shoes I own: multiple Scarpe Di Bianco, G&G on the DG70 last, Carmina DB and oxfords on the simpson last, Saint Crispin's on their chiselled last ...etc)
- Primarily looking for a wingtip ... but a brogued cap-toe could work
- Size wise, I am usually an 8.5 UK. I have narrow heels and a slightly wider than average forefoot (I have to really stretch most 8.5 UK E's and really struggle getting the right fit on loafers due to my narrow heel .... hopefully less of a concern with boots)
- Price range around ~$500 USD but could flex higher for the perfect boot

Boots I've considered:

I'd love this pair but they are slightly outside the price range and I can't find them anywhere online (Leatherfoot, here in TO, doesn't have my size): Rider Burgess

My current fore-runner is the Alfred Sargent Hannover (seen here) - hang up is that I have looked and looked and have only found a handful of pics with this boot worn in an outfit (vs. pics of the boot itself). I'm not sure if I will love the shape.

Would love to see more pics of the hannover. Post 'em up if you got 'em! Particularly with slim/tapered jeans and trousers.

Others:
- C&J Islay looks great, but outside my price range and again, iffy, on the shape.
- Alden Long Branch ... but I've seen and tried on the Alden Dalton' in person and they don't suit me - was not a fan of the shape. So this kills the Long Branch.
- Trickers look good, but a pretty conservative shape no?

Looking for your ideas and opinions.

What would SF recommend to someone like me, trying to up his boot game? Do you have pics of any of the boots I listed above? Please share :)

Your help is mucho appreciated!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads