• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Books on etiquette

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any books on social and business etiquette and manners? Are there classic publications on these topics like the works of Flusser regarding style and clothing?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I'm afraid I can't recommend any books. However, there are (rather, there is) a classic in the world of etiquette -- Post's Etiquette , written by Emily Post, ca. 1922 if I'm not mistaken. You can actually read it online, at one of my favorite websites, bartleby.com: http://www.bartleby.com/95/ Unfortunately, though the respect that underlies etiquette is timeless, the rituals are not, so the book would be of little practicable value to you. If you had the time to read it though, knowledge of the rituals helps in the fundamentals. Wish I could be of more help. Regards, Huntsman

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Miss Manners' various books have always been favorites of mine. They're very entertaining, and they read less as an arbitrary presentation of rules than as an explanation of why etiquette norms are etiquette norms.

artdeco73

Reaction score
There is a series of books by John Bridges called "Gentlemanners" Each one is on a specific topic rather etiquette in general. I am aware of four -- on clothing, on correspondence, on making toasts and on hosting parties. I should put a disclaimer here that I have not read any of them, but they have caught my eye in the past. Perhaps I'll review them here when time finally allows me to read them. One thing I do know that Bridges is from the Southeastern US (usually referred to colloquially here as "the South"), so his information may have a regional inflection to it.

There is also a book called "Essential Manners for Men" by Peter Post. I know nothing about him. I have no idea if he is related to Emily Post in any way, but it would be interesting if he was.

Regards,
Tony

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
In the "new wave" are The Etiquette Grrls, who update traditional social conventions for a younger readership. I've read both their books, and parts of their website, which are good for both information and humor.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW, Emily Post's Etiquette has been published in an updated edition written by her descendants. It is still considered the bible of etiquette. The new edition is updated enough to include email etiquette.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the "new wave" are The Etiquette Grrls, who update traditional social conventions for a younger readership. I've read both their books, and parts of their website, which are good for both information and humor.
Wow. I have looked at the site and read some of the 'Q&A' and all I can say is wow. What is this? It's like an affected, arrogant Elle Woods (from Legally Blonde ) doing etiquette. The level of hypocrisy mocks the decency etiquette is founded upon. They blithely command those whom they do not like to "See [them] us in Hell," in the pseudo-Victorian style of capitalizing major nouns and verbs. If this is new wave I'm staying old school, and I'll pick up a new copy of Post (thanks, j) to boot. Regards, Huntsman

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huntsman, I sort of agree with you but the way people are today, perhaps a little kick in the can by people like the EG might be what's needed. It's not the way I'd teach etiquette and manners but perhaps it's reaching someone out there who needs guidance.

It's getting ugly out there...anyone on my side is appreciated even if I have to tolerate a difference of opinion.

christian

Reaction score
Kate Spade has a book about manners that my mother bought. Â It is actually quite good and far more applicable (I feel) to modern day situations than some of the Flusser/Miss Manners genre.
This book is targeted towards women to read. She has a series of books like this, including books about style.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why would anyone need a "style forum"?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Mike C. @ 08 Oct. 2004, 12:03) Why would anyone need an ettiquette book, really I'm baffeled?
Personally, I agree with you. Â For the most part people either do or do not have good manners as a result of their upbringing, IMHO.
And it's not like people with no manners would be willing to pick up a book on the subject. For me, manners boil down to common sense. Anyone trying to be "proper" ends up looking too try-hard and contrived. It creates some awkward situations as well.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's true that you can't teach thoughtfulness via a book, but there are points of decorum that those of us not raised in high society might not be familiar with. Which fork to use, etc. Whether or not you care whether people care about these things, it does make a good impression to know them, and it's not like it's more effort one way or the other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads