• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bluetooth Headsets

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
Perhaps I'm missing something.

What's the difference between walking down the street talking on a cell phone (presumably ok) and walking down the street talking on a cell phone using bluetooth (presumably now you're a pretentious tool)?

Easy. You don't see people w/ bluetooth headsets remove the device after they finish talking, do you?

jabreal00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc

What's the difference between walking down the street talking on a cell phone (presumably ok) and walking down the street talking on a cell phone using bluetooth (presumably now you're a pretentious tool)?

Because 95% of the time while in public one will not be on the phone, unless they are a teenage girl. When someone is on the go most conversations are short and quick, it won't kill you to use the phone the conventional way.

I see guys like this all the time. They have the Blackberry clipped to their belt, sporty Oakley sunglasses and a Blue Tooth headset. For a guy who could careless about being stylish, then there's nothing wrong with it because they're probably doing it for utilitarian reasons. However, anyone who cares about style (especially those on a style forum), it's a non starter. The only reasonable times for BT headsets are while driving or maybe if one is a home telemarketer.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
Perhaps I'm missing something. What's the difference between walking down the street talking on a cell phone (presumably ok) and walking down the street talking on a cell phone using bluetooth (presumably now you're a pretentious tool)?
with a cell phone, you look like you are talking on a phone. with bluetooth, you look like you are having a jolly ole time telling yourself jokes, telling yourself to speak up, and telling yourself you will be late. edit: btw, I fully support using BT in the car. In fact I think it should be a standard feature on all car radios. I know it would cost less than $10 per car to implement (BT receivers are ridiculously cheap right now).

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought when when I got a car that was stick---it's light years better than trying to juggle it between hands while steering and shifting. Occasionally I have to finish a call after getting out of the car and I feel like an idiot. It's not obvious to people that your talking to the thing in your ear and not them, so you get weird looks and it's unnecessarily confusing. It's just strange to see people walking around, talking to themselves.

I would never leave it on after a call, though. I see no reason to use the headset over holding the phone up to your ear if you don't need your hands free.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc

If you're actually talking on it, that's not such a big deal (but some people are confused and irked by the guy apparently talking to himself.) It's more the guy who wears it all the time, even when hes not talking on the phone, it seems to send the message "HEY EVERYONE! I'M EXPECTING AN IMPORTANT CALL ANY SECOND! STFU!" I'm sure it weirds out service people around you like restaurant staff.

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jabreal00
Because 95% of the time while in public one will not be on the phone, unless they are a teenage girl. When someone is on the go most conversations are short and quick, it won't kill you to use the phone the conventional way.
Hell, it won't kill you to wait until you've gotten back to the office to make your phone call. For that matter, what was wrong with just writing a damn letter instead? What a bunch of pretentious tools...

I see guys like this all the time. They have the Blackberry clipped to their belt, sporty Oakley sunglasses and a Blue Tooth headset. For a guy who could careless about being stylish, then there's nothing wrong with it because they're probably doing it for utilitarian reasons. However, anyone who cares about style (especially those on a style forum), it's a non starter. The only reasonable times for BT headsets are while driving or maybe if one is a home telemarketer.
OK, I'll concede on "it looks unstylish", but I fail to see how that translates to "pretentious tool".

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc

I'm not really sold on either. It's extremely annoying when someone comes up behind you barking into a cell phone, or when they block the flow of pedestrians because they're lost in their own little cell world. I've noticed that bluetooth tends to encourage the shouting, in particular.

I also think it sends a message about priorities. It used to be considered rude to take a call in someone's presence. Now, with bluetooth, it's like holding the phone to your ear at all times, just in case.

I'm glad that bluetooth headsets still give many folks pause. Maybe it will make people more mindful of how they use the thing.

This concludes my cranky old man rant.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bah. I think a good part of these BT headset wearers just secretly want to look like Borgs.
borg.jpg

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alternatively, did they ever really define those bizarre devices on the Borg? Maybe they are just cool looking BT headsets

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a wireless bluetooth system installed in your car. A mic will be placed above your driving wheel and incoming calls flow thru your speaker system.

Using a bluetooth for other than typing in a public setting does look silly:

The term is "look at the Bluetool."

Leslierc

Reaction score
I don't wear them, ever. Unless your name is "Spock", I think it looks dumb to walk around with an electronic device sticking out of your ear. I keep the ones I own (they came with the phones) in a laquered jewely box my wife bought me several years ago.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use one at my home office during the day. I get bad reception in my house so I have a signal booster which works well for 10 feet or so around the box. I keep my cell phone there and use the headset to walk around the house with.

I also use it in the car but not very often as I normally don't take calls in the car.

I don't care if most people wear them, who am I to judge them? However I have seen bluetooth headsets worn during 2 weddings that I've been in and that was disrespectful to me. One can not take a call for a couple hours during a wedding.

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm not really sold on either. It's extremely annoying when someone comes up behind you barking into a cell phone, or when they block the flow of pedestrians because they're lost in their own little cell world. I've noticed that bluetooth tends to encourage the shouting, in particular.
Is it annoying when two people come up behind you having a conversation with each other? Or is it only annoying when a cell phone is involved?

I also think it sends a message about priorities. It used to be considered rude to take a call in someone's presence. Now, with bluetooth, it's like holding the phone to your ear at all times, just in case.
I don't really see a big difference. People already have their cell phones with them all the time just in case... the difference in pretentiousness between that and a bluetooth headset I think is relatively small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads