• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bluetooth Headsets

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the correct way to use a bluetooth headset without looking like a pretentious douche-bag? I got one a few days ago and occasionally need it to make calls where I have to type or drive at the same time.

Do you just leave it on when you're out, do you scramble for it from your pocket whenever you get a call? Do you tell the person you're talking to to hold on while you switch to bluetooth?

I've been wearing it for the last few days whenever I stepped out, even though I know it makes me look like a pretentious douche bag (it makes it all the more fun sometimes.) I went to a store today and stood right next to another guy at least twice my age trying to look self-important with the exact same headset on. I just looked at him and grinned, it seemed like a moment of clarity to him.
smile.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Were you using it when you hit a deer?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never ever use it in public. I use it around the house only, and only on the premises, while gardening, doing dishes, doing laundry etc. I would feel like a complete moron using it in public.

I know the surgically implanted cell phone is inevitable, but I would like to hold off as long as I can.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
What is the correct way to use a bluetooth headset without looking like a pretentious douche-bag?

I'm not sure it's possible. If you wear it when you drive alone, no one will see. And if you wear it while typing at a computer, I doubt most folks would notice or care. But any other time when you're out and about ... well, you'll be wearing a bluetooth.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Were you using it when you hit a deer?

Nope, but the deer wasn't paying attention to where it was going... maybe he was talking on a bluetooth.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the correct way to use a bluetooth headset without looking like a pretentious douche-bag?

No, sorry. Wait there is one way- but then you'd look like some fat-cat's tool.
crackup[1].gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
No, sorry. Wait there is one way- but then you'd look like some fat-cat's tool.
crackup[1].gif

How?
plain.gif

the etruscan

Reaction score
What is the correct way to use a bluetooth headset without looking like a pretentious douche-bag? I got one a few days ago and occasionally need it to make calls where I have to type or drive at the same time. Do you just leave it on when you're out, do you scramble for it from your pocket whenever you get a call? Do you tell the person you're talking to to hold on while you switch to bluetooth?
When driving, I always use a headset as a safety precaution. People staring in my car are a ******* hazard anyway. In the house or office, it's just another piece of gear, like my computer or coffee cup. I don't ever wear one when in public on foot, I just can't deal with how much of a pathetic tool it makes me look like. If you've got the resilience to not care that you look like that, wear it!

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The correct way is to throw it in the trash.
Agreed. Speakerphone > bluetool headsets, and only in the car.

Xenok

Reaction score
you can't wear it in public without looking like a pretentious tool.

i use mine as a skype headset at home. it's very convenient for home or office use but ask yourself if you really need to use a bluetooth headset while on the move.

for those who are looking into purchasing a new car, there is an bluetooth option for most new cars and if you think you will be receiving quite a few calls while driving, it is a pretty sweet option to have.

another reason not to use it on the move: bluetooh is a major drain on your batteries, you might not want to use it with your cellphone unless you plan to carry a spare battery or charge it twice a day.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenok
another reason not to use it on the move: bluetooh is a major drain on your batteries, you might not want to use it with your cellphone unless you plan to carry a spare battery or charge it twice a day.

My phone has a powersave option that only allows 1 bluetooth device to connect at a time, so it doesn't drain your battery as fast... I'm sure most other new phones have that too.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your car (alone!) or around the house only....even then you run the risk of getting nasty looks from the family pet.

The absolute worst is wearing one and not even talking. It's like you are saying, "I am expecting a very important call, I want everyone to know it, I am very important and I will pretend to ignore you."

mbc

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing something.

What's the difference between walking down the street talking on a cell phone (presumably ok) and walking down the street talking on a cell phone using bluetooth (presumably now you're a pretentious tool)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads